What's the job situation like for a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfernando87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I'm interested in osteopathy, and I'm in the process of applying to osteopathic schools, but I'm a little concerned about landing a job once school/residency is done. I'm interested in going into either family practice or pediatrics. Is it difficult for DO's in these specialties to find jobs? I've seen a lot of job postings all over the US, but I'm concerned about the whole MD vs DO thing. Is there any sort of bias when it comes to applying for jobs as a physician? Also, if anyone's got any good websites or search engines to check for various job openings, that would be great! Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most DO's have a second job, such as working at a car wash, or Taco Bell, in order to make a living. This is because most places don't need doctors anyway, and those that do will obviously prefer MD's.

I'm interested in osteopathy, and I'm in the process of applying to osteopathic schools, but I'm a little concerned about landing a job once school/residency is done. I'm interested in going into either family practice or pediatrics. Is it difficult for DO's in these specialties to find jobs? I've seen a lot of job postings all over the US, but I'm concerned about the whole MD vs DO thing. Is there any sort of bias when it comes to applying for jobs as a physician? Also, if anyone's got any good websites or search engines to check for various job openings, that would be great! Thank you so much!!!

This post makes me feel dirty all over. Here are my bullet points:

-If you are interested in osteopathy you need to contact Doc Brown and obtain a flux capacitor because osteopathy is a term that applies more to the early 1900's. It's now considered 'osteopathic medicine' which means full medical curriculum + osteopathic manipulation (which I guess could be considered the 'osteopahy' portion)

-Family med and Peds are considered primary care, ie: what DO schools are geared towards. These two specialties probably have the highest numbers of DOs, and you will have no problem in either of these fields as a DO.

-Finally, it's probably a better idea to ask a question about finding a job or landing residency in the med student/resident forums. We are (mostly) pre-meds here. However, I think I can say (with very little authority) that you won't run into any concerns getting a job as a DO. Also, use the search engine or just leaf through the pages of the DO forum and you will find countless threads on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most DO's have a second job, such as working at a car wash, or Taco Bell, in order to make a living. This is because most places don't need doctors anyway, and those that do will obviously prefer MD's.

This is only true if you have a family to support. Most DOs are single and can support themselves on a DO salary.

This is only true if you have a family to support. Most DOs are single and can support themselves on a DO salary.

Not true. I have a friend who's cousin shadowed two MDs who said they know one MD who knows a DO that couldn't get a job in a hospital on the other side of the country. Face the facts brah ... :smuggrin:

I know a DO who lives with his mom, but he has almost saved up enough to buy a mobile home for himself.

This is what most DO's do to make ends meat

full_sizecrop96dpi.jpg

I'm a 4th year in DO school about to finish school and start residency. Nowadays the unemployment rate for DOs is approaching 45-55%, mainly because nobody wants to employ DOs in hospitals, only MDs. Most DOs today are self-employed in solo practices for that reason. So if you go to Family Practice or Pediatrics as a DO you should be OK, since you can be solo in those specialties. As an anesthesiologist or surgeon you'll need to obtain hospital privileges, and it's very unlikely you'll be employed as a DO unless you try and try for several years. Hence, many DOs in specialties get a job as TexasTri said, so they can pay loans while trying to obtain a job.

As far as me, I'm planning to complete a Family Medicine residency and move in with my parents for about 5 to 10 years until my loan situation is under control, then perhaps start a solo practice or join a group (of DOs, of course. MDs never employ DOs for their group practices).

Remember, being a DO is a way to become a doctor. If you want it badly enough, it doesn't matter how many years it might take to find employment. There are other careers that can pay you enough to handle your loans. As I understand, as a medical transcriptionist, you can make more than minimum wage while you look for a job, and as a physician medical transcription is a breeze because you know the lingo already. The hospital I rotate at has at least a dozen or so unemployed DOs in the transcription department, and their transcriptions are always the most accurate with the least misspelled drug names or medical terms. Think about that option too.

My DO neighbor just asked me if he can hook up his water, gas, and electric to my house because he's having financial trouble. Just to reassure the OP, he said that he thinks it's only temporary.

Since you don't appear to be a troll, I'll help. The job situation is fine, especially in primary care. I would recommend doing some research on the net and on here, then coming back if you still have specific questions.

Well, first off, DO doctors can get into almost any residency and speciality that MDs can( maybe dermatology would be a little tougher to get into, but not impossible). If you look at LECOM or even PCOM's match list, you will find that students choose many different specialties( some choose ER, primary care, OB-GYN, internal medicine, plastic surgery, pathology and so on).

Also, it isn't true that MDs do not work with DO doctors. On contrast, my own physician is a DO and he works in a family practice with a bunch of MDs. And everyone respects him and he is actually in charge of teaching some of the MD residents! So, you see the school will make you into a physician. But, your own hard work and personality is what makes you into a GREAT PHYSICIAN!!

Since you don't appear to be a troll, I'll help. The job situation is fine, especially in primary care. I would recommend doing some research on the net and on here, then coming back if you still have specific questions.

I have to disagree, I'm pretty sure he's a troll. "Join Date 2004". Even if he rarely posts, he's not as ignorant as he is pretending to be.

The job market is pretty good for DO. You have to have an undergraduate degree to get into most DO programs, so by the fact that you have a Bachelors degree makes you a great candidate for many jobs, sometimes even if the medical field. I know 3 DOs that just started in the Enterprise rent-a-car manager in training program. I know another DO who started working the register in the hospital cafeteria hoping to make some connections and perhaps get an attending position that way.

It doesn't matter if he is a troll or not. You all do not have to rise to the bait and give attention to a troll. It only makes him/her gleeful at the prospect of it all. In addition, it is up to you as the future of osteopathic medicine to help provide a positive image of (future) physicians who stand resolute against a barrage of insults and only reply in calm & understanding tones. 'Word of mouth' is a powerful force and in time, as it is already showing, DOs will be a prominent image in medicine and the healing arts.

My first impression coming into this thread was that he had a carefully worded question (although sketchy), but it looked perfectly legit (enough). The responses that followed were scathing and downright sarcastic. Is this how you want to be perceived? (I tried to look at this in the view of someone who is relatively new to the boards and to the osteopathic philosophy).

I know a DO who lives with his mom, but he has almost saved up enough to buy a mobile home for himself.

can't tell if you are joking (although i feel its a safe bet since 95% of your posts are sarcastic) but the DO i shadowed was in family practice...his pracice had only been open for like 6 months, so it wasnt that busy. the point is that him and his wife actually did live with his parents...they were trying to save money cuz they couldnt afford any of the placese they wanted to buy. granted this is in souther california so things dont run cheap, but still.

Now I know why I rarely come on SDN anymore.

It doesn't matter if he is a troll or not. You all do not have to rise to the bait and give attention to a troll. It only makes him/her gleeful at the prospect of it all. In addition, it is up to you as the future of osteopathic medicine to help provide a positive image of (future) physicians who stand resolute against a barrage of insults and only reply in calm & understanding tones. 'Word of mouth' is a powerful force and in time, as it is already showing, DOs will be a prominent image in medicine and the healing arts.

My first impression coming into this thread was that he had a carefully worded question (although sketchy), but it looked perfectly legit (enough). The responses that followed were scathing and downright sarcastic. Is this how you want to be perceived? (I tried to look at this in the view of someone who is relatively new to the boards and to the osteopathic philosophy).

Stupid questions deserve answers of equal intelligence.

This has degenerated far enough. Some of you are pushing the sarcasm line and are about to cross it to just flat out not cool. Time to take a few steps back. Take the sarcasm and nastiness to the Lounge and enjoy yourselves there.

AGAIN (and I'm almost ill I have to remind people training to be professionals this): If you have nothing nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING. Heavens. That's twice in less than 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.