Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's getting shelved in my top 10 most horrifying things I've ever read. Better to know about it now than later, I guess...Not the most clueless thing ever, but the carrot thing reminded me of this.
Disclaimer: you can't un-know this, high 'ick' factor.
Just saw an incarcerated patient with a prolapsed stoma (i.e. colostomy), who also had parastomal herpes.
Student: that rash sure looked like herpes, didn't it?
Chief: That's because it is herpes.
Student: But I thought that was sexually transmitted!
Me: It is.
Student: That's weird. So how did the patient get it there?
Awkward silence.
Student: I don't get it.
Student #2: Dude, that IS how he got it!
Student #1: (takes a minute, horrified look on face) But that means...OMG, I had no idea people do that!
Chief: I've never seen it [parastomal herpes] outside of the prisoner population, but I'm sure it happens.
Colorectal Attending: Yep, I've seen a few married women with parastomal warts....(launches into conversation about various things he's seen associated with stomas, to students' horror).