What's the most imp preop invest in a pt w a bleeding risk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faceblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PT
PTT
Bleeding time
Hct
Platelet count

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know that the patient is a "bleeding risk"?

Someone told me this Q was on exam ..I know that preop invest r requested based on pt's history but they didnt specify the bleeding risk ..I dont know if this makes sense anyway..

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone told me this Q was on exam ..I know that preop invest r requested based on pt's history but they didnt specify the bleeding risk ..I dont know if this makes sense anyway..

I had a similar question on a q-bank and was posed this as a pimp question several times on my surgery rotations. The answer is history. Easy bleeding, gum bleeding, extended bleeding with tooth extraction, family history, et al. It may also be in the Kaplan notes, I'm not sure. The rationale is that this is the most cost effective way and is reasonably reliable...

I think it's platelet count...

i.e. someone with a platelet count of <30k cannot be operated on (i guess unless they will absolutely die otherwise)...I think it's advisable to keep the platelet count >50k before operating (I just heard this in a morning report at one of my interviews)

none of the above. The correct answer is personal history, specifically any bleeding during past surgeries.

Another vote for history.

i think his point was of those answer choices, then it's platelet count

doesnt do you a whole lot of good on the USMLEs by saying "i dont agree with the above answers, I'm gonna type my own answer"

unless those options are listed and he forgot History...then of course I agree with History...but if that's not an option............