What's the stupidest or weirdest question you've been asked on interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. ZZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll start.....

IF YOU WERE TO BE A SALAD, WHICH PART OF THE SALAD WOULD YOU BE???

Members don't see this ad.

First question, first interview:

Do you like to hunt or fish?

My Answer:
"Are those my only two choices, sir?"

Didn't rank the place.

Not sure I could have answered the salad question, honestly.

Back in the day when I was interviewing for medschool, a question
" You are good candidate... (pause).... But how come you received a zero on the writing portion of MCAT?"
I busted out laughing, interviewer looked confused, and I explained it was actually letter O... both had a good laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview question posed to my friend: When you go to a restaurant, do you order the same thing or do you order something different each time.

It was no coincidence that my friend was interviewing for psychiatry.

On the other hand, most of the questions I've been asked have been fairly generic. At one of my interviews, I was asked the usual questions...so anticipating the following questions, I would not only answer the question they asked but related questions. However, the interviewer continued to ask me the related questions...questions to which I had just answered. For example, I was asked question 1A. I responded with answer 1A and 1B and 1C. Then my interviewer would ask me question 1B followed by 1C. I don't know if he was out to lunch or what. I figured he was just going through the list of questions he had on his mind regardless of what I answered. Most of interviewers have been truly awesome people (and I am not too nieve to realize that programs do this on purpose), but this created on odd situation. I wanted the interview to go well. I didn't want to be repetitive in my answers, but to some extent, this was unavoidable. The worst part was that this continued the entire interview. I was asked questions over and over again that I had already responded to. It was quite frustrating to say the least. Next time (if this happens again :scared: ) I will stop answering all the related questions ahead of time and just give very brief answers.

i'll start.....

IF YOU WERE TO BE A SALAD, WHICH PART OF THE SALAD WOULD YOU BE???

Not really a wierd Q, but a wierd circumstance......

At a recent interview....this lady asks me to present a case..so I do. Now she starts opening up alcohol pads...and starts cleaning her table of some mustard stain. I was like what the hell.....

SHe tells me she could not stand it...prolly OCD....

How would you describe yourself? :rolleyes:

I felt like I was interviewing for a job at the mall.

do you have kids?

my ENTIRE personal statement revolves around the birth of my triplets and how that's changed how i look at things...

do you have kids?

my ENTIRE personal statement revolves around the birth of my triplets and how that's changed how i look at things...

Eegads, ya, it's like, thanks for reading my personal statement...:mad:

a question i got while interviewing for IM was: so do you like to work with patients?
what did he think i was gonna say other than yes?

****. and i wonder how they even select residents.

wtf are these questions.

interviews are bullshiz. they've got it 80% decided the moment you walk in the door based on your body language and the first word you utter, and maybe your limp handshake....

i can understand the salad and dressing, and hunt or fish. but everyone will give the same response.

I was asked "if you could go into any other profession, what would it be?". I was at a total loss and just told the truth, which is that there is nothing else I would rather be doing. He kept pressing the question and I just kept trying to say the same thing in a different way. Honestly, there isn't another profession I would go into, that's why I'm applying for residency in the first place!

I was asked why my Dean's Letter had several typos in it! Apparently, most of the text refers to me as a s/he! :rolleyes: I didn't know what to say to that! I was like,"You'd have to talk to the person who wrote it because I have no idea!" The guy at least got a good laugh out of it. So much for a personalized MSPE!:thumbdown:

I was asked "if you could go into any other profession, what would it be?". I was at a total loss and just told the truth, which is that there is nothing else I would rather be doing. He kept pressing the question and I just kept trying to say the same thing in a different way. Honestly, there isn't another profession I would go into, that's why I'm applying for residency in the first place!

You were tricked! That is a very common trick question that interviewers ask in all professions.

They basically want to get to know what you like to do besides that field. Most PD's want people who are well rounded and not all about medicine and the books!