What's the verdict on Firecracker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firecracker?

• Worth the time investment

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Worth it only for a certain type of student (explain in comments)

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not worth it - Low Yield/Waste of time

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not worth it - There are better/as good resources for less cost

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people say it's a waste of time/money because it's low yield, it covers too much depth, flashcards are poorly made ect.

I've also heard others say it helped them get an awesome step 1 score and was great for providing structure to their study routine.

What was your personal experience with it?

Members don't see this ad.

N=1, but FC helped me solidify FA facts early on in M1. I didnt have to spend much time during dedicated to review basics solely because I had invested the time and energy from the beginning. I can't say how I did on USMLE yet, but if COMLEX is any indication I did decently. If you're a rote memorization type of student Firecracker is good for you.

Reactions: 1 user
N=1, but FC helped me solidify FA facts early on in M1. I didnt have to spend much time during dedicated to review basics solely because I had invested the time and energy from the beginning. I can't say how I did on USMLE yet, but if COMLEX is any indication I did decently. If you're a rote memorization type of student Firecracker is good for you.

I'm terrible at rote memorization. I don't do well memorizing through any other method either actually. In the past I sorta just wrote down concept maps and studied from those.

Would firecracker be useful for me?

How much time do you dedicate to firecracker each day? How much time do you study outside of firecracker each day?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm terrible at rote memorization. I don't do well memorizing through any other method either actually. In the past I sorta just wrote down concept maps and studied from those.

Would firecracker be useful for me?

How much time do you dedicate to firecracker each day? How much time do you study outside of firecracker each day?

If that's the case, I don't think that FC is a good idea for you. I almost used FC/FA only through first year with the exception of the odd anatomy textbook. I'd say on average I spent about 3 or 4 hours a day just using FC.

I had a similar experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you're at all interested in trying FC do it from the first week of medical school.

That said, Anki4Life

Are you supposed to use Bro's deck as you would FC? Ie going through it every day? If that's the case then FC would have the advantage of adaptive learning algorithms, right?