What's the worst possible mistake you can make at an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bring a tape recorder or secret recording device and ask if that's okay ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My own students fist bump me all the time, but I haven't had an applicant fist bump yet.

I recently went for a fist bump with an interviewer who had just extended their hand.

However, once I explained I work at a residential facility for people who are severely mentally ill, where we're instructed to fist bump the patients rather than shake hands to reduce germ spread (many of them have terrible hygiene) and it's just become habit at this point, my interviewer was nice about it and I don't think it impacted the interview much.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think blowing a kiss and winking at the interviewer as you exit the door could be the worst mistake.

inconspicuously holding a Benjamin in your palm for the final handshake, and when the interviewer looks at you like o_O just hit him/her back with ;).

Reactions: 1 users
I recently went for a fist bump with an interviewer who had just extended their hand.

However, once I explained I work at a residential facility for people who are severely mentally ill, where we're instructed to fist bump the patients rather than shake hands to reduce germ spread (many of them have terrible hygiene) and it's just become habit at this point, my interviewer was nice about it and I don't think it impacted the interview much.

I fist bumped my interviewer recently, although he was the one that initiated it. I ended up getting in at that school, too.

I know someone who took a snapchat selfie with the interviewer and made it his story... got rejected in the end
Did he ask if it was okay? Because tbh this will be me.

My own students fist bump me all the time, but I haven't had an applicant fist bump yet.

With fist bumps being more sanitary than a handshake maybe someday the handshake will be obsolete and the fist bump will take its place... Then again maybe not

If an interviewer asks where else did you apply/interview and you are honest and say you have II at 5 other schools and the interviewer becomes uptight after that. Is that a bad sign and tactic even though you were honest? :shrug:

I hate that question. My state school asked me that and the interviewer was quite nasty for the rest of the interview because I mentioned a couple of top 10s. I got rejected despite having stats way above the median, not to mention the ECs to back it up.

I am glad I am going to a way better place, as their medical center has the worst reputation in my state among physicians and patients despite being an academic medical center.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking a handstand dump in your suit, then observe the panel's reaction as they slowly realize the horror of what had transpired.

Passing an uncontrollable silent but deadly one while you're sitting in a closed room with only one interviewer is at the top of my horror list.

Reactions: 6 users
All of the above makes me grateful that part of my job includes sales and marketing. Nothing teaches you better than having to cold call people you've never met and try to convince them to use your services for their dying loved one. (Obviously won't be using those words in any future interviews)

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking a handstand dump in your suit, then observe the panel's reaction as they slowly realize the horror of what had transpired.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 10 users
^^ my face when I googled "handstand dump" and looked at the images

A side note: not treating the staff, such as the secretary or administrative assistant, with the same respect you would a full professor. I have seen/heard too many tales on this. Assume from the time you show up at the school until you are well off campus, you are ON! You could even take that further as I certainly know of 1 case where an applicant was on the flight in a small to get to rather small school. Started complaining to the guy in the set next to him about out of the way school, not impressive, just going cause maybe if he gets in he might go, but really no desire to be there. He did this is a very nonprofessional manner shall we say. And yes, you can guess the rest. It was a professor from the school.

My point to all this, just be professional and courteous, even if being critical of something. They are not necessarily looking for some right answer but how you handle yourself, what traits do you have, etc.
Good thing my parents instilled a deep sense of confrontational anxiety in me so I'll never have that problem!

Having lived in a big city my whole life (keeping it vague) and went to school in the same city, the biggest mistake you can make is not selling your interest in location if interviewing in a smaller town or city. To note, I feel like this might only apply for city people who go to school in the area or small town people who never left the state.

When interviewing at programs in places like that, they will grill you for being an arrogant city boy/girl (because we all are;)) and not actually wanting to live there. Or if they are nice, they will ask you about your hometown. Because I love my hometown, my biggest mistake was being too enthusiastic about all of its amenities, talking about all the food, culture, etc. I should have said "my hometown is a great place, but your city seems fantastic too!".

You release the breath you were holding, but the next second you wish you didn't, because what you didn't let go, the blow from the back forced out.
This is grammatically confusing and may contain syntax errors. Please revise and resubmit.

After reading some of the things on here, I feel like less of an imbecile, but I think something I did should be on the list..

So, I was having a GREAT interview, and the interviewer and I had established good rapport for the previous 25 minutes. One of those where you tell yourself, "Just don't screw up and you're golden."

Guess what? I screwed up. The interviewer asked me, "If you don't get accepted to medical school this year, what do you plan to do to change that in the subsequent year?" I had already been accepted elsewhere, and I said with a slight chuckle (inadvertent), "That's not going to happen, I am 100% committed to matriculating next summer."

The next three minutes was simply me rambling in a frantic effort to explain myself and apologizing profusely for coming off as arrogant. I was hoping to parlay my acceptance elsewhere into brownie points for me maintaining an interest in this school, but I'm positive the way I worded it reflected poorly on me.

To make matters worse, I was at a function the next night that the same interviewer happened to also be attending. I was casually discussing my interviews with another person explaining the situation when I said, "It's okay. I would rather go to the other school anyways after getting a feel for both. Life could be a lot worse."

Guess who was standing right behind me and overheard what I said? Yep, you guessed it.

Haven't been formally rejected yet, but it's been crickets for nearly four months. I'm considering framing the rejection letter when it comes, as I really had to shoot myself in the foot to "earn" this one.

If I walked into both situations with duct tape on my mouth I probably would've fared better.

After reading some of the things on here, I feel like less of an imbecile, but I think something I did should be on the list..

So, I was having a GREAT interview, and the interviewer and I had established good rapport for the previous 25 minutes. One of those where you tell yourself, "Just don't screw up and you're golden."

Guess what? I screwed up. The interviewer asked me, "If you don't get accepted to medical school this year, what do you plan to do to change that in the subsequent year?" I had already been accepted elsewhere, and I said with a slight chuckle (inadvertent), "That's not going to happen, I am 100% committed to matriculating next summer."

The next three minutes was simply me rambling in a frantic effort to explain myself and apologizing profusely for coming off as arrogant. I was hoping to parlay my acceptance elsewhere into brownie points for me maintaining an interest in this school, but I'm positive the way I worded it reflected poorly on me.

To make matters worse, I was at a function the next night that the same interviewer happened to also be attending. I was casually discussing my interviews with another person explaining the situation when I said, "It's okay. I would rather go to the other school anyways after getting a feel for both. Life could be a lot worse."

Guess who was standing right behind me and overheard what I said? Yep, you guessed it.

Haven't been formally rejected yet, but it's been crickets for nearly four months. I'm considering framing the rejection letter when it comes, as I really had to shoot myself in the foot to "earn" this one.

If I walked into both situations with duct tape on my mouth I probably would've fared better.

I don't see why answering the initial interview question was arrogant. But somehow bumping into your interviewer at a social event is an amazing story. At least you didn't like that school as much as your accepted school.

@redferrari dammmnnnn. That is seriously cringe worthy. Reading it felt like watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I hope you will in fact be happier at the other school!

@redferrari dammmnnnn. That is seriously cringe worthy. Reading it felt like watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I hope you will in fact be happier at the other school!
Funny you say that, because I told myself it seemed like a situation straight out of an episode of Seinfeld hahaha

Here's the worst possible thing that can happen during your interview.

So you get to your interview. Big school. Fancy. Smart students. Lots of research dollars. You already got into your other top choice (Stanford) and you're just interviewing here for kicks and maybe to get some merit money thrown your way. Weather's great, upper 60s and sunny - a rarity in Boston in late October. You're a stud. You've been turning down top 10 interviews left and right, but you decided to give HMS a shot because why the hell not? Oh, and they paid for your travel and living expenses while on the interview too. Your uncle donated about 3 million big ones to the school a few years back since he's now got an 8 figure cash-only orthopedic spine practice out in LA, so you're on the VIP list, not even to mention your 526 MCAT and 4.0 GPA in astrophysical chemistry from Princeton, where you were the first freshman to publish 3 first author papers in Nature, Science, and NEJM - all in the same month (it was September). Everyone loves you - hell, Jeff Flier wrote your committee letter himself. You see a cute dental student as you're walking into the interview building. You give her a wink and she blushes uncontrollably and scurries away. You generally have this effect on women (and men, come to think of it), so you think nothing of it and keep moving. You enter the room with the other interviewees - you're the last one since you're always fashionably late - and not a single person's jaw doesn't drop. Is it your beautifully sculpted and chiseled face? Or can they see your Rhodes Scholar background in your rippling biceps as you move to take off your imported Armani suit jacket. Yeah, it's probably that, you decide. The attractive young secretary comes to sign you in and give you your interview packet, but she stops for a second as she looks up and sees you. You know instantly she's picturing you naked. After a moment she recovers and hands you the packet. You look inside. A note says you're interviewing with a Dr. Portman. Huh, okay. And it starts in 5 minutes. So you make your way to the interview room. As you do, an attendant offers you a glass of champagne. You down it before the door is fully open, but it doesn't dull your 165 IQ encased within 230 pounds of solid muscle on your 6'3 frame one bit. You see the interviewer. It's Natalie Portman. Hot damn. They must really want you here. You know this, of course. You've always known it. Who wouldn't? You sit your powerful body lightly down on the plush seat with a gentleness borne of years of Olympic gymnastics training. Natalie says she's impressed with your application. It's not every day they get applications from Colonels in the Air Force, let alone ones that were selected for astronaut training. You smile and make to respond, but suddenly, you notice something's wrong. A second year medical student bursts in, his scrubs covered in something that looks like dried blood. "He'-" and the student collapses in a heap, shaking and vomiting so violently he can't get another word out. Instantaneously, you pull out your concealed Desert Eagle. You're a Republican (but socially liberal) and a true American who staunchly supports the constitutional right to bear arms, so you never go anywhere without it. Looks like your freedom is about to pay off. A figure emerges from a doorway and sprints towards you, leaving behind a trail of blood as he does so. Calmly, methodically, you aim and put two shots right into his oral cavity, taking out his medulla and instantly dropping him to the floor - you weren't the best sniper in Delta Force for nothing. You look back to make sure Natalie is okay and are horrified to find the med student biting her arm and clawing viciously at her face. You quickly place a bullet in his abdominal aorta and rush to Natalie - but you're too late - she's been bitten. "I'm sorry" you say as you level your handgun at her and pull the trigger. You were the gatekeeper - you had to stop the spread if humanity to survive. Suddenly, another thought creeps into your mind. You slowly make your way back to the waiting room where the other interviewees were. They're all gone. Nothing remains except for tattered clothes and deep red stains that nearly completely obscure the crimson H embroidered into the velvety carpet. All is quiet. You release the breath you were holding, but the next second you wish you didn't, because what you didn't let go, the blow from the back forced out. You faceplant into the ground and your weapon flies from your grasp. A sharp pain erupts from your right shoulder. You use your unreasonably powerful leg muscles to kick whatever is sitting on your back off and quickly flip around to see what the hell is happening. It's the dean of admissions - but he's not looking so hot. He has several deep gashes down his neck and part of his left ear is missing. Blood is pouring from his nose and mouth, staining his salt and pepper beard. You put a hand to your shoulder and find blood - you've been bitten. You only have a few minutes before you turn, so you scramble for your gun and check your ammunition. One bullet left. Good, that's all you'll need. You turn to face the snarling dean of admissions just as he charges again. But this time you're ready for him and roll with his tackle onto the ground. But he recovers and pounces upon you, pinning you to the ground. You trap him in a bear hug, but your weakened muscles can't push him off. "We haven't finished your interview" he growls as he looks at your face, his mouth frothing and bloody. "Why medicine?". Knowing you only have one choice left, you twist the gun in your hand so that it points straight into the back of his brain. You look him right in the eyes and say "why not". You pull the trigger, and everything goes white.
Lol, WedgeDawg, what did I just read? XD

Let on that you're a full blown sociopath

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

When the interviewer extends his/her hand for a handshake, only extend the middle finger

Top 3 Worst interviewee behaviors:
putting your feet on the interviewer's desk
cleaning your fingernails with the corner of a folder
asking the Dean of Admissions, "Have you been saved?"

Reactions: 5 users
I've heard any bit of foul language will get you a swift rejection.

I had two different interviewers drop the F-bomb lol. Does that mean swift acceptances?

-Get hammered the night before while interviewing at a school in a notorious party city
-Oversleep and miss the interview day by about three hours
-Stagger in four hours late and throw up in a trash can in front of the interview committee

(Not me, but I was there when it happened)

Reactions: 11 users

If the bolded is in your top three, then I've got some stories you'd love...

-Get hammered the night before while interviewing at a school in a notorious party city
-Oversleep and miss the interview day by about three hours
-Stagger in four hours late and throw up in a trash can in front of the interview committee

(Not me, but I was there when it happened)

Classic.

I have seen two of these happen...in the same interview.

Oversleep and miss the interview day by about three hours

I have a CLASSMATE that did this
because he didn't miss the actual interview, they let him interview anyway........ :bang:
result: now we have a classmate who is chronically late

how this was allowed to happen I do not know

I have a CLASSMATE that did this
because he didn't miss the actual interview, they let him interview anyway........ :bang:
result: now we have a classmate who is chronically late

how this was allowed to happen I do not know

How does that not get you immediately screened out? Did he have a really good reason?

When the interviewer asks where you see yourself in 10 years say "On the back 9 working on my short game". Then after they chuckle and ask for your real answer say, "I wasn't joking, I want to be semi-retired and golfing most of the week."

How does that not get you immediately screened out? Did he have a really good reason?

great question. I've never heard the entire story, but I doubt it was an emergency or anything. He is late to at least 1-2 required sessions every single week, so I think he is just simply used to doing whatever he wants without repercussions

very nice guy, just completely unprofessional

great question. I've never heard the entire story, but I doubt it was an emergency or anything. He iclinics late to at least 1-2 required sessions every single week, so I think he is just simply used to doing whatever he wants without repercussions

very nice guy, just completely unprofessional

Clinical years will break him if he doesn't fix this

Reactions: 1 users