What's the worst possible situation: Premed Perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worst Situation?

• Not getting accepted anywhere

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Accepted/Losing Index Finger

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • Accepted/Losing sense of smell

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • Accepted/Contracting Syphilis

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Becoming a pharmacist

Votes: 32 23.9%

• Total voters

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

If I lost an index finger my ability to remove boogs from one nostral would be totally messed up.

such an easy decision. a quick shot of penicillin in the booty will get rid of it, then you're off to med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Something wrong with Pharmacy?

The index finger on your strong or weak hand?

The best situation would be the syphilis one. It's curable.

lol. sorry but the options seem scattered (losing sense of smell, wth?) and none seem like a true "worst possible situation".

They are connected together somehow. You just have to search deep in your heart and you will find the answer....

(I just suck at making up these types of questions).

Syphilis can be easily treated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Syphilis can be easily treated!

Yeah...but wikipedia says this will happen to you:

Approximately 10-90 days after the initial exposure (average 21 days), a skin lesion appears at the point of contact, which is usually the genitalia, but can be anywhere on the body. This lesion, called a chancre, is a firm, painless skin ulceration localized at the point of initial exposure to the spirochete, often on the penis, vagina or rectum.

Yeah...but wikipedia says this will happen to you:

Approximately 10-90 days after the initial exposure (average 21 days), a skin lesion appears at the point of contact, which is usually the genitalia, but can be anywhere on the body. This lesion, called a chancre, is a firm, painless skin ulceration localized at the point of initial exposure to the spirochete, often on the penis, vagina or rectum.

Well, I'm sure it goes away!

I'm going to ignore the poll because I have to agree that those choices are a little...random.

I'm currently in the risk group for developing glaucoma. Almost everyone in my family has it, and my ocular pressure has been elevated for the last few years. A few weeks ago, my eye had started bleeding - not pink/red but actual blood - and I couldn't help but panic and worry about what would happen if I became blind. It's pretty much impossible to be a doctor without your eyes (but if there are blind doctors, please let me know).

Sounds painful...

On a lighter note! If the syphilis were incurable, then I would have to go with either losing my index finger or... ugh... pharmacist.

Haha, 0 votes on sense of smell. What's it good for anyway.

What's the point of food if you can't taste it?!

Sounds painful...

On a lighter note! If the syphilis were incurable, then I would have to go with either losing my index finger or... ugh... pharmacist.
Yeah, who wants to work a stable, predicatble 40 hours a week for 6 figures? Eff that! Index finger all the way.

What's the point of food if you can't taste it?!

Agreed. Once you see a few patients who have lost their sense of smell, and thus get absolutely no enjoyment from food, often losing tons of weight due to disinterest, you will realize that this isn't a minor thing. you also are at higher risk of dying of home gas leaks or other things where your sense of smell normally gives you an early warning.

The syphilis option is the easiest choice -- it's a very curable bug, although it results in some embarrassment, as it is reportable.

Yeah, who wants to work a stable, predicatble 40 hours a week for 6 figures? Eff that! Index finger all the way.

Dude...

Inserting pills in cylindrical shaped containers for the rest of your life at a local Rite Aid/Rexall >>>>>>>>(sucks)>>>>>> losing index finger

Yeah, $100k a year for doing an easy job (which requires tons of knowledge, but once you have it, you can coast) with set hours. That must really suck. I'd cry myself to sleep every night.

Dude...

Inserting pills in cylindrical shaped containers for the rest of your life at a local Rite Aid/Rexall >>>>>>>>(sucks)>>>>>> losing index finger

thats only one path for graduating pharm students, it just happens to be the one that everyone thinks of when they see pharmacy. by no means do you need to be stuck in a rite aid your entire life.

What's so wrong with pharmacy? It's a legitimate field of respectable work. If you really can't get into med school, don't be a whiny baby and go into pharmacy just so you can bitch about how lame it is compared to the glories of medicine....become a physician assistant or something related to, you know, actually practicing medicine.

Pharmacy doesn't exist just for med school failures as plan X. geez.

Yeah, there's no way I'd go to med school if it meant not being able to taste food for the rest of my life. Holy crap that would suck.

Dude, the pharmacist part was just hilarious. Well done.

p.s. I can't believe sense of smell has the fewest votes. Do you realize this includes sense of taste (for the most part)?

Last edited:
Dude...

or you could get accepted...go to 4 years of school....4 years of residency and maybe a 2 year fellowship...all while getting paid minimum wage...sucking up to attendings...getting yelled at and paged by nurses...having mid-levels take your work...and having patients sue you...all while coming out >$200,000 in debt....sounds great...to bad many pharmacists will contribute more to the medical field than you ever will

What's so wrong with pharmacy? It's a legitimate field of respectable work. If you really can't get into med school, don't be a whiny baby and go into pharmacy just so you can bitch about how lame it is compared to the glories of medicine....become a physician assistant or something related to, you know, actually practicing medicine.

All pharmacy schools should be shut down. Pharmacies should be run solely by pharmacy-techs.(JK)

:rolleyes: We all know that the majority (87.5%) of pre-pharmacy students choose the pharmacy path for one reason: They think getting in to pharmacy school is a lot easier than medical school, which is completely false; more people are applying to pharmacy than ever.

or you could get accepted...go to 4 years of school....4 years of residency and maybe a 2 year fellowship...all while getting paid minimum wage...sucking up to attendings...getting yelled at and paged by nurses...having mid-levels take your work...and having patients sue you...all while coming out >$200,000 in debt....sounds great...to bad many pharmacists will contribute more to the medical field than you ever will

kudos to them:thumbup:

All pharmacy schools should be shut down. Pharmacies should be run solely by pharmacy-techs.(JK)

:rolleyes: We all know that the majority (87.5%) of pre-pharmacy students choose the pharmacy path for one reason: They think getting in to pharmacy school is a lot easier than medical school, which is completely false; more people are applying to pharmacy than ever.

Or, you could ...ugh...be a pharmacist and be this guy
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/inde...nnel=7cc71436e3218010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
so all the MDs answer to you...

I agree. I work in an ER at a top hospital where the pharmacists have a huge role. They are constantly counseling the attendings and residents on their orders - and they are pretty young women in their 20's - probably alot cooler and down to earth than some of you. Not everyone works at CVS, and there is nothing wrong with that anyways. If thats your opinion of other medical professionals - at least thats perception that I get (which many times is more important than intention/reality) - than I find that a bad attitude - and immature.

If thats your opinion of other medical professionals - at least thats perception that I get (which many times is more important than intention/reality) - than I find that a bad attitude - and immature.

I agree. Good luck trying to function in a teaching hospital with team based medicine if these are your views.

Yeah dude pharmacists are awesome. They have an important role. Doctors have an important role. Nurses have an important role. Lab technicians have an important role. Janitors have an important role... Take any one of them away and our medical system crumbles.

... I just thought it was a funny joke to put pharmacist in the answer choices. It's nice to have a little professional rivalry... It's just for fun... in reality, we know we need each other.

so I guess the poll shows that people would rather lose their index finger/sense of smell/contract syphilis than not get accepted anywhere.

So some of you would voluntarily offer to lose your index in return for a seat in medical school? I sure would...