What's the worst thing about being a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acl3623

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EVMS secondary...i dont know, i think long hours...you're always on call even if you're not in the office...malpractice insurance...i guess it depends on what specialty you go into. any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

TripleDegree said:
The "business"-ization of medicine, imho.

excellent! my sentiments exactly!

Members don't see this ad :)
put down "answering stupid questions"

seriously..making up b**llsh*t answers for your secondaries...but seriously, i mean i really think that the way medicine is carried out is designed for insurance companies and HMOs to dictate the way you'll take care of your patients. but i dont want to step on anyones toes in admissions. trick question maybe? i think it would be too naive to say that i wont like the long hours now that i think about it.

premature balding

don't have time to meet hot girls

sdnstud said:
don't have time to meet hot girls

I was about to say that, but all in due time. Soon, the chicks shall flock to you! No pain, to gain!

naw...i don't think chicks dig doctors. they think drs have no time to be a good husband.

TTSD said:
I was about to say that, but all in due time. Soon, the chicks shall flock to you! No pain, to gain!

the ones that flock to doctors arent the ones that worry about being you being a good spouse. they just wanna make sure they have a large allowance.

jlee9531 said:
the ones that flock to doctors arent the ones that worry about being you being a good spouse. they just wanna make sure they have a large allowance.

Look buddy, don't ruin my dream of trophy wives and replacing then when they reach the big 3-0 :-D

The worst part of being a doctor, IMO, is long hours in certain specialties. No matter how much I love my job, I WILL NOT be working 70+ hours per week until I'm 40 as an attending surgeon. Follow the ROAD to success! (Rads, Opth, Anes, Derm :))

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your personality. Could be long hours. Could be telling families their loved ones have died. Could be dealing with the "if-only" guilts during the learning curve. Do sick and dying children bother you? You'll eventually deal with a kid you couldn't save. Do elderly people dying bother you? You'll eventually have to tell someone their spouse of 60+ years is gone and they are now alone. Does the potential of being sued every time someone gets a scar scare you? Does the potential of contracting a disease scare you? I know some doctors who... get this... HATE SICK PEOPLE. They became pathologists (the patients don't talk back). Like seeing your family? The long hours might be your "worst thing." Then again, could be your neighbors always seeking free medical advice from you on your time off.

Figure out what YOUR personality is like... then you'll know what the worst thing about being a doctor is.

paying for your kids tuition and med school costs cause those bastards wanted to be doctors too. why couldn't they have become art majors

Even though there may be a good number of issues we will have to deal with as physicians, the simple "thank-yous" and seeing people have improved lives because of you and biomedical science should keep you smiling for a large portion of the time, and make you WANT to wake up every morning.

think about the BEST thing about being a dr. instead.

true, true...but you might not want to write about the BEST thing for your secondary application...

I think it might be being in a job so challenging that you won't ever be able to master it. We'll all make mistakes and we'll all be confronted by cases that are still beyond us at some point, eh? And we'll probably all kill some people. Scary. Doctors have a lot of power and responsibility, and they start getting it way before they're "ready."

I have to agree that the worst thing about being a doctor is dealing with business side of the field. HMOs, Medicare, Medicaidm, malpractice suits, keeping your private practice afloat for the first few years, are all enough to drive someone crazy and take their focus away from their job.

saronno said:
I have to agree that the worst thing about being a doctor is dealing with business side of the field. HMOs, Medicare, Medicaidm, malpractice suits, keeping your private practice afloat for the first few years, are all enough to drive someone crazy and take their focus away from their job.

The solution: MD/MBA

Training tomorrow's leaders of the healthcare industry. Can you say cha-ching? :) ;)

TTSD said:

Yeah, the gold-diggers. Who wants them anyway?

The money!! I just hate it!! lolz, just trolling. I think the worst part is probably the number of hours one is on call.

All the women throwing themselves at you makes it hard to get a good nights sleep.

The hardest part for me is seeing" good patients" getting hit with unfortunate circumstances while you watch some" bad patients" in perfect health despite lifestyle choices.

Aww, nearly everyone who posted in this thread in 2004 are residents now. How cute.