what's to stop me from doing this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank Cavitation

Game Center Arashi
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

I'm not planning to work in the states, but just a question
out of curiosity. Suppose I am a foreign dentist (not from
US or Canada), couldn't I just go to one of those states
where they will grant me a license right away following
successful results in the state licensing exam? And then
if I work for a few years, couldn't I go to any state I want,
write the boards there and then be eligible to practice?

Sorry if my question sounds ignorant, it's because I don't
know much about this process. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is going to stop you? Each regional testing or state board has its own academic and residence requirements in order to be eligible for licensure. Most of them require a DMD or DDS degree from an ADA accredited dental school. So, if you are a foreign trained dentist licensed in Calif, Hawaii or Minn, you will have to go back to a minimum of two years of dental school in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico(?) if you wish to practice outside of those three states. That alone would put off most foreign dentists. Maybe you could get lucky and juggle between those three states once you clear their respective board exams-- subject to their existing laws, of course.

Ivorinedust

hey thanks for clearing things up. I was under the impression that switching between states did not require them to look at previous academic credentials. That really is quite different from how it works in Canada; since there doesn't seem to be provincial licensing exams people can go anywhere they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but my understanding is that they will give license freely to anyone who has been practicing in another state/province. In other words, there are no hoops to jump through.

Oh...one more thing...about reciprocity in California --there isn't any. That means a licensed dentist from out of state needs to obtain a license in California either by clearing the boards or by credential. Likewise a Californian dentist would have obtain a license from the state he/she wishes to move his/her practice to.

Ivorinedust

I thought there was licensing by credentials in California now and that they are starting to accept WREBS. (an exam with a higher pass rate).

I think most states license by credentials (after having a license in one state for 5 years you can apply for a license in almost any state). Some states still do not do this like florida. As for Canada once you pass the NDBE and OSCE you can become registered in any province; however, you may need to take a juriprudence course. I am licensed in Wisconsin and Ontario and just went through both processes.