What's too far below average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comitan21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
not sure exactly what the standard deviation is for score...i assume more competitive schools will have a narrower margin whereas schools that are more laid back will accept a lower range. from what i've seen point of no return is DAT below 17 and GPA below 3.0. I've been reading of people with maybe lower DAT or GPA and really good app that have gotten interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're reading too much into it.. don't get wrapped up in the statistics, there is no algorithm to determine your candidacy. If you meet the minimum GPA/DAT requirements of a school then they will look at your entire application. If you do not, then they won't, simple.

I'd suggest looking at the GPA/DAT ranges of accepted students at specific schools. This may surprise you.

Reactions: 1 user
The point of no return is probably when your stats fall below the accepted range for students at a particular school in the ADEA guide. That aside, I think chances for admission decrease once your GPA or DAT are below their average, and are significantly decreased when both are below a school's average. In the latter situation your application will become more reliant on substantial non-academic achievements for admission.

Reactions: 1 users