whats up w/ min to max mcat scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking through the MSAR and it shows people getting into schools like stanford with a verbal score as low as 4, phys 8 and bio 8 what is up with this? How do they accept people with a low score in one or tow of these sections? Just curious! thanks:D

Members don't see this ad.

I was just looking through the MSAR and it shows people getting into schools like stanford with a verbal score as low as 4, phys 8 and bio 8 what is up with this? How do they accept people with a low score in one or tow of these sections? Just curious! thanks:D

Those are probably the lowest in each of those sections, not the score of one person. Some schools may excuse a low verbal score for ESL people. An 8 in a science isn't a low score and can be compensated to some degree by higher scores in other sections and other parts of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just goes to show that, depending on the specific circumstances on your application, some schools look beyond numbers. Verbal difficulties may stem from English being a second language -- perhaps that applicant had a V4/P13/B14 K. Others may have demonstrated their ability to succeed in medical school with a 4.0 sci/4.0 overall GPA and just had a bad MCAT day. Still others may be family friends with the chair of the adcom. You never know. Keep the faith.

Just remember, it is unlikely that those "lower end" scores you mention are all from the same applicant. The odds of Stanford admitting a student with a 4/8/8 are pretty astronomically small.

Best of luck,
-z

You can get in with a lower score if you're white or Asian. Oh, wait... that's not it...

ECs could play a massive role if you're MCATs are low. Life circumstances, etc...it's all (hopefully) looked at in perspective.

There could be a lot of reasons: URM, spectacular EC's

There is a conspiracy theory that someone can get into med school with low numbers provided he or she had done some HUGE contribution to the school.

Just Kidding :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There could be a lot of reasons: URM, spectacular EC's

Those three magical letters... BigRed stole it from me :(.