What's up with Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idon'tknow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys...
I am having miserable days since Dec. 1st.

Vanderbilt University
3.92/3.85 (overall/science)
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences
+500 volunteer activities
many extracurricular and work experiences....

I still haven't heard anything from Columbia yet, my 1st choice school. I had my interview in the second week of October. I called Dr. McManus today and he said...."I feel your pain, but bear with me. Your letter has not sent out yet." What does it mean?
I was pretty positive that I would hear from Columbia on the 1st.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Idon'tknow said:
Hey, guys...

Vanderbilt University
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences

I still haven't heard anything from Columbia yet, my 1st choice school. I had my interview in the second week of October. I called Dr. McManus today and he said...."I feel your pain, but bear with me. Your letter has not sent out yet." What does it mean?
Wow those are some impressive stats. I am sure you will be hearing very soon. Hang in there. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Idon'tknow said:
Hey, guys...

Vanderbilt University
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences

I guess I'm not the only one....I too have a very similar stat like yours, but still haven't heard from them. I thought it's very predictable with Columbia based on number figures....OR we are one of the few unluck ones....

Members don't see this ad :)
ColumbiaDDS said:
I guess I'm not the only one....I too have a very similar stat like yours, but still haven't heard from them. I thought it's very predictable with Columbia based on number figures....OR we are one of the few unluck ones....

jeeez..im waiting too but looking at your guys' stats i'm starting to wonder how i even got the interview in the first place.
btw..with a 3.9 and those dats i wouldn't worry..don't be uptight. you'll get in

pbure said:
jeeez..im waiting too but looking at your guys' stats i'm starting to wonder how i even got the interview in the first place.
btw..with a 3.9 and those dats i wouldn't worry..don't be uptight. you'll get in

Hang in there guys. I'm a student at Columbia, and I remember that Columbia took a longer time than a lot of other schools to get letters out!

Miss Mammelon said:
Hang in there guys. I'm a student at Columbia, and I remember that Columbia took a longer time than a lot of other schools to get letters out!

Miss Mammelon....you saved me TOO~!!!
I was in the similar situation (3.99 & 25) Still hasn't heard anything yet. I might send my boys to USPS right now!!!! :D

Idon'tknow said:
Hey, guys...

Vanderbilt University
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences

Pray tell why Columbia is your #1 choice? Thanks a lot.

Idon'tknow said:
Hey, guys...

Vanderbilt University
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences

Well, how did your interview go? Is there any chance you might've come across as really obnoxious or something?

Also, maybe your stats are so good that columbia thinks you'll turn them down for harvard or penn. (Columbia's stats aren't as good as either of those schools; their average GPA is like 3.3 or 3.4). If I were you, I would write McManus a letter and send it off tout-de-suite saying that it's your top school and that you'll definitely go if accepted.

I also have very similiar stats and haven't heard anything either.

I'm starting to get worried too... and since the deadline for sending in deposits for other schools are approaching rather quickly, I don't know what I should do~

Idon'tknow said:

I myself got the impression at my interview that they would send either acceptances, waitlist or rejections on Dec 1st to everyone who interviewed there prior to Nov 25 (because I remember them saying that the committee meets on the files the following Friday). But I guess I was wrong and they didn't send them out all at once. Oh well, have to keep waiting I guess.

Regarding the thing SuperTrooper said about having a bad interview there or something. I think it's almost impossible. It was so conversational and short (20-30 mins w/ one interviewer) that they basically have little time to guage you as a whole anyways. I just remember my intereviewer was pretty nice and at first he was like "dat looks good, grades look good" and then we talked about some basics (why I want to go into d-school, etc. etc.). So, I get a feeling the interview is just to see that you aren't a total imbecile or bipolar or something. But who knows.

I'm just going to stay positive. Basically as every day goes on and I don't get something in the mailbox from them, it becomes easier for me to expect there to be nothing the next day. This is not to say I don't expect something from them sometime in the near future. But honestly, at first it really was bothering me, but I guess the fact is if I didn't get into the mindset that it "might not be here today or tomorrow" it was going to really affect my perfomance on exams and how I go about my daily life. Just something for the OP to think about, it makes me feel better anyways. So keep your head up dude. By the way Vanderbilt is awesome. Besides, looking at the GPAs and DATS (not that this is everything, I mean for all I know you guys could be keeners who don't do anything else :p . Jokes.) of the people here who haven't got into Columbia (yet :) ) on this thread, I'd say we're all in pretty good company with each other. I want to go to Columbia, but I have gotten in elsewhere (and I know a lot of the other posters here have too (LadyxJC for example has some good schools on her list - congrats by the way)), and if they don't accept me I won't kill myself over it and that would be their loss. Good luck all! :luck: :)

lestat12 said:
Regarding the thing SuperTrooper said about having a bad interview there or something. I think it's almost impossible. It was so conversational and short (20-30 mins w/ one interviewer) that they basically have little time to guage you as a whole anyways. I just remember my intereviewer was pretty nice and at first he was like "dat looks good, grades look good" and then we talked about some basics (why I want to go into d-school, etc. etc.). So, I get a feeling the interview is just to see that you aren't a total imbecile or bipolar or something. But who knows.
Bipolar? :laugh:

But seriously, I think it's very possible to make a bad impression in such a small period of time. I remember at my michigan interview, all the interviewees went around the room taking turns to stand up, saying their name and a little about themselves, etc. Anyhow, this one guy stood up and said something absolutely insanely inappropriate in a really weird way and me and everybody else around me were looking at each other in shock! :eek: And the guy just sat there, like he had no regrets. So, it was amazing that in that 1 minute thing he managed to come across as a complete jacka$$. Anyhow, maybe he got accepted, and maybe he was actually a normal guy, i don't know.

Idon'tknow said:
Hey, guys...

Vanderbilt University
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences

The admissions process seems to get stranger and stranger. I'm a first year at CU but I graduated from Vandy this year--with much lower scores. I would say be patient as it took 1-1.5 weeks for my letter to reach Vandy, but if they say they haven't mailed it out yet, you can only be patient. That might mean they're just waiting until Jan to mail out an acceptance--otherwise if they hadn't accepted you yet they would've at least waitlisted you already.

SuperTrooper said:
Bipolar? :laugh:

It would be the ultimate in awesomeness to watch someone stand up and have a conservation with himself during an interview. Or even better put on a hand puppet and answer all of its questions through it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any such interview shannanigans. Hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
LadyxJC said:
I also have very similiar stats and haven't heard anything either.

I'm starting to get worried too... and since the deadline for sending in deposits for other schools are approaching rather quickly, I don't know what I should do~

I saw Dr. Davis at the Greater NY dental convention and he told me that our date (11/18) has not been looked at yet. He told me that they were going to start reviewing us on Friday the 2nd. I think that they will let us know on the second roll :mad: !!!

I presume that is in the middle of January? Is that correct ASD?

lestat12 said:
I presume that is in the middle of January? Is that correct ASD?

I thnk so? Who knows, this whole process is wierd.

SuperTrooper said:
Well, how did your interview go? Is there any chance you might've come across as really obnoxious or something?

Also, maybe your stats are so good that columbia thinks you'll turn them down for harvard or penn. (Columbia's stats aren't as good as either of those schools; their average GPA is like 3.3 or 3.4). If I were you, I would write McManus a letter and send it off tout-de-suite saying that it's your top school and that you'll definitely go if accepted.

Your stats are off. The current first class gpa is 3.5. DAT 22. (also undergrad inst. prestige is a big consideration) Penn emphasizes gpa columbia emphasizes DAT.

asd said:
I saw Dr. Davis at the Greater NY dental convention and he told me that our date (11/18) has not been looked at yet. He told me that they were going to start reviewing us on Friday the 2nd. I think that they will let us know on the second roll :mad: !!!

Argh... guess I should send in my deposit for another school then... :oops:

I have a general question. I thought my interview went rather smoothly but I remember that my interviewer never took notes. How does an interviewer remember their interviewee in enough detail to present him/her to the committee especially if the committee doesn't meet for a while afterwards?

LadyxJC said:
Argh... guess I should send in my deposit for another school then... :oops:

Hum....I guess I have to waste my $500-$1000 too.....

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

SuperTrooper said:

I'm not sure about your explanation. Regardless of which schools I applied, if they think I'm the good fit, I think they should offer me a spot (b/c they never know whether I really love Columbia after my visit)

During my interview, he asked me how's Columbia ranked among schools you applied? I said "one of my top choice." I only applied to three schools (UPenn, Columbia, and Harvard). Maybe it has to do with what I said.
DAMN.......I should've said "Columbia is my first choice" :mad: :eek: :mad:

I'm curious.....let's have a hypothetical situation.
A guy went to M.I.T.
3.89 / 3.85 (overall/sci)
25/25/24 (AA/TS/PA)
+300 dental experiences
+a number of leadership roles
+many extracurricular activities and work experiences
+a couple of research experiences
His first choice is Columbia

What if both Columbia and UPenn think that he could turn them down and get rejected from all the schools he applied but Harvard. This guy has a no choice but to go to Harvard?

Just a thought...... :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Idon'tknow said:
What if both Columbia and UPenn think that he could turn them down and get rejected from all the schools he applied but Harvard. This guy has a no choice but to go to Harvard?

Just a thought...... :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

I think this is an interesting question. I heard that some schools DO reject applicants if they are sure that he/she will turn them down (it's kinda stupid anyway). Then, he might only get into Harvard. :eek: :eek:

Another story I heard is admission officers DO talk each other. If that's the case, Dr. McManus, Ms. Corky Cacas, and Ms. Anne Berg might talk each other to decide which school wants him.
Dr. McManus: "I want him in my school. He shows strong interest in my school. Hey, it's Columbia in NYC~~!!!"
Ms.Corky Cacas: "I will give him a dean's merit scholarship. I'm sure he will accept Penn's offer"
Ms. Anne Berg: "Hey, it's Harvard. Accepted students hardly ever turn down Harvard. So, I'm sure he will come to us"

Bottom line is....what a poor guy he is.....!!!!

Honestly, I really have no idea about this question. :smuggrin:

swanlake said:
I think this is an interesting question. I heard that some schools DO reject applicants if they are sure that he/she will turn them down (it's kinda stupid anyway). Then, he might only get into Harvard. :eek: :eek:

Another story I heard is admission officers DO talk each other. If that's the case, Dr. McManus, Ms. Corky Cacas, and Ms. Anne Berg might talk each other to decide which school wants him.
Dr. McManus: "I want him in my school. He shows strong interest in my school. Hey, it's Columbia in NYC~~!!!"
Ms.Corky Cacas: "I will give him a dean's merit scholarship. I'm sure he will accept Penn's offer"
Ms. Anne Berg: "Hey, it's Harvard. Accepted students hardly ever turn down Harvard. So, I'm sure he will come to us"

Bottom line is....what a poor guy he is.....!!!!

Honestly, I really have no idea about this question. :smuggrin:

This scenario seems like a real possibility to me. However, MSC or someone on SDN got both a Penn Scholarship and a Harvard acceptance so I don't think they're communicating amongst each other to see who gets who in their roster. They're competing for that applicant but they will reject you if they think that you're not going to seriously consider their school I'm guessing.

EyeAmCommi said:
They're competing for that applicant but they will reject you if they think that you're not going to seriously consider their school I'm guessing.

I really don't see that as a plausible scenario basically because they have to send out more acceptances than those who actually take the chance on the school and are willing to matriculate anyways. So if that is the case, why not send out offers to the best applicants - chances are regardless of the quality of applicant they send offers to, people are going to accept or decline in any demographic. If they attempt to assess what kind of applicants their school is really worth sending offers to, I could see them potentially undervaluing their own program. I mean yes, they can fill seats earlier by sending out admissions offers to people "more likely to matriculte", which no offense to anyone usually means people with lower GPA and higher DAT who are using Columbia as a "dream school". I mean to me it is most likely that all three of those schools in the above scenario would most likely send out offers to that one student with hopes that they could attract him/her to their program because there is no way they could possibly know which offer they are going to accept, especially given the paultry amount of time the interviewes spend with the interviewees. But then again, you can disregard this if you want because Columbia hasn't sent me a thing since the interview yet and I really don't know what they are up to over there.

Idon'tknow said:
Hey, guys...

Vanderbilt University
23AA/22TS/20PA
+300 dental experiences

WTF!! I'm glad you didnt apply when I applied for columbia. Your stats blow mine away! hahaha......

I think mine was something like 21/23 and 2.8 GPA. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anyways, dont worry about the interviews. I didnt get invited till Feb.

Idon'tknow said:
I'm not sure about your explanation. Regardless of which schools I applied, if they think I'm the good fit, I think they should offer me a spot (b/c they never know whether I really love Columbia after my visit)
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear. Obviously they'd want to get people to matriculate with the best stats. I was talking about the interviewers impression of whether or not you're serious about columbia. Or if it's just a backup. With your stats, it's very plausible that columbia is a backup. Schools take a lot of pride in their acceptance: matriculation ratio. For example, columbia probably shells out like 140 acceptances to fill their class of 70 (is it 70?). Whereas harvard shells out something ridiculous like only 42/43 acceptances to fill their class of 35!

Idon'tknow said:
During my interview, he asked me how's Columbia ranked among schools you applied? I said "one of my top choice." I only applied to three schools (UPenn, Columbia, and Harvard). Maybe it has to do with what I said.
DAMN.......I should've said "Columbia is my first choice" :mad: :eek: :mad:
Yeah, this is what i'm talking about.

P.S. You only applied to harvard, columbia, and penn? :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

You're taking quite a gamble by applying to only 3 schools, not to mention 3 very competitive schools (apply to at least one safety!). Your GPA is superb but quite frankly, your DAT scores are just good/average, for those schools. Maybe even a little lower than the average for Harvard.

Idon'tknow said:
There it is. You've gotta kiss ass!

bump

anyone hear anything from Columbia lately? (postmarked after Dec. 1)

I have heard absolutely nothing... and i am very curious. What's the best way to satisfy your curiosity in this regard?

drengineer said:
I have heard absolutely nothing... and i am very curious. What's the best way to satisfy your curiosity in this regard?

received post-interview rejection today..postmarked dec 8th. dammmnnnn

Goodluck to you all. Columbia is definitely a challenging, but good experience.

pbure said:

Sorry to hear that. I thought Columbia accepts 80-85 percent of those interviewed. Has anyone else heard that stat also?

rajmahal2004 said:
Sorry to hear that. I thought Columbia accepts 80-85 percent of those interviewed. Has anyone else heard that stat also?

I heard 50%

pbure said:
Hey man,
Sorry to hear that. I thought my interview went really bad, but first week of december I received acceptance. What went so wrong in your interview? I know you wanted to go to Columbia.
I might turn down Columbia for NYU.

Todds2be@work said:
Hey man,
Sorry to hear that. I thought my interview went really bad, but first week of december I received acceptance. What went so wrong in your interview? I know you wanted to go to Columbia.

How come? did you get a scholarship from NYU?

rajmahal2004 said:

I heard it was far less than that. Columbia interviews a lot of candidates~

Todds2be@work said:
Hey man,

Interview went fine..if I had to guess I think its my science gpa that may have played a part in the rejection. Also, I heard that they only want 22 or higher academic averages..unless you have a really high GPA. Initially I thought this was probably untrue but seeing who has been accepted..its been all unbelievable DAT scores. My DAT's are good..but not 100th percentile good..so maybe that was it..not entirely sure.
I'm interviewing at Case tomorrow morning..we'll see how that goes.

pbure said:
Interview went fine..if I had to guess I think its my science gpa that may have played a part in the rejection. Also, I heard that they only want 22 or higher academic averages..unless you have a really high GPA. Initially I thought this was probably untrue but seeing who has been accepted..its been all unbelievable DAT scores. My DAT's are good..but not 100th percentile good..so maybe that was it..not entirely sure.
I'm interviewing at Case tomorrow morning..we'll see how that goes.

Good luck there~ :)

Audio said:
How come? did you get a scholarship from NYU?
No scholarship from NYU, but I do not why I feel like I will be more happy at NYU than Columbia. My aim is to go into General Practice. I still havent received letter from Columbia, but haven't received from NYU yet.

I think my science GPA, DAT and Dental office work experience played a huge role in my acceptance.

Todds2be@work said:
No scholarship from NYU, but I do not why I feel like I will be more happy at NYU than Columbia. My aim is to go into General Practice. I still havent received letter from Columbia, but haven't received from NYU yet.

I think my science GPA, DAT and Dental office work experience played a huge role in my acceptance.

wait so how did you find out about your acceptance to columbia?

Todds2be@work said:

No scholarship from NYU, but I do not why I feel like I will be more happy at NYU than Columbia. My aim is to go into General Practice. **I have received letter from Columbia**, but haven't received from NYU yet.

I think my science GPA, DAT and Dental office work experience played a huge role in my acceptance

Todds2be@work said:
No scholarship from NYU, but I do not why I feel like I will be more happy at NYU than Columbia. My aim is to go into General Practice. **I have received letter from Columbia**, but haven't received from NYU yet.

I think my science GPA, DAT and Dental office work experience played a huge role in my acceptance

thanks for the clarification.. well, to be honest, if i were you i might consider nyu over columbia IF they offer me a hefty scholarship. i think nyu is currently undergoing a lot of improvement in their facilities and overall program.. i know this because i volunteered at their new bluestone center for clinical research and it is absolutely FABULOUS! furthermore, they informed me that ALL the floors are going to be like that in the near future.
in my opinion, if your goal is to go into general practice, why would you put yourself through so much pain and suffering to attend Columbia where almost everyone wants to specialize. anyways, thats just my 2 cents. please don't think im swaying you toward nyu just bc i want columbia, i'm just trying to give you my honest opinion.

I got to columbia and not everone wants to specialize. Also NYU is pretty torturous as well. Most dental schools are.

just a heads up....
Im not sure if someone already posted this before, but a few of us Columbian's were talking and the Deans do read these forums....so just to be safe I wouldn't say anything ill about anyone, not that it may affect you, but you never know.....

Hi Dr.McManus!!! :love: Will you drive your "children" to the airport now that MTA is striking?

vandy_yankee said:
Hi Dr.McManus!!! :love: Will you drive your "children" to the airport now that MTA is striking?

:laugh: my school cancelled finals for the graduate and law schools, but not for us undergrad kids. not to mention that my school is in the city, and with the ice storm preventing us from driving in, and the MTA strike making it impossible to public transportation-it in, i'm royally screeewed.

plazaday said:
:laugh: my school cancelled finals for the graduate and law schools, but not for us undergrad kids. not to mention that my school is in the city, and with the ice storm preventing us from driving in, and the MTA strike making it impossible to public transportation-it in, i'm royally screeewed.

Man that sucks.. Philly's public transportation (SEPTA) went on strike a little over a month ago and it really sucked while it lasted... they royally screwed over thousands and thousands of people. I can only imagine how worse it would be for NYC.

ysk said:
Man that sucks.. Philly's public transportation (SEPTA) went on strike a little over a month ago and it really sucked while it lasted... they royally screwed over thousands and thousands of people. I can only imagine how worse it would be for NYC.

Horrible.Especially for us who have finals in NYC tomorrow.Speaking of which, I dont think theyve gone on strike(struck :confused: :confused: ) yet.Yippeee I get to take my final! :laugh:

bump...

Is it safe to assume that Columbia is waiting till they hear back from those who have received acceptances on Dec. 1 to send out more?... meaning that they offered all their seats on the first? I know some people will decline but still it sux for those of us who interviewed a few days late. Anyone hear anything from Columbia lately?

I think so, I interviewed on Dec2nd and Dr. McManus told us not to get our hopes up before the new years. Therefore, I'm assuming they're going to hold off the second round of acceptances until mid-January.