What's worse: The 4 weeks it takes to get your MCAT score or the 4 weeks leading up to the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is worse?

• 4 weeks after MCAT

Votes: 118 44.5%
  • 4 weeks before MCAT

Votes: 69 26.0%
  • Everything. Everything about the MCAT is horrible.

Votes: 78 29.4%

• Total voters
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Just asking

Members don't see this ad.

I was more nervous about getting my scores, because it's out of your control at that point. At least you can study as much as possible if you're feeling stressed before the test -- after, there's nothing!

Reactions: 6 users
Waiting to get the score. I stared at the link for 15 minutes because I was too scared to open the score report.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who says four weeks before is a liar.

Reactions: 13 users
For me, the first two weeks after taking it were super stressful (especially with people who didn't know about the wait period asking how I did or how I thought I did). Then I actually kind of forgot about it until the day that the score report was released.
I don't think the month after was significantly more stressful than the month before, but unlike most people posting on SDN, I was massively not ready when I took the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
After. You spend a month reliving the test, looking up answers to questions you may have missed, counting up how many you think you missed, planning to bomb it and having to find a different career. It's a pretty horrible time.

Reactions: 3 users
I remember counting ~7 questions I missed on the C/P section, IN the parking lot right after the test, not including the ones that I marked and was unsure of. Still ended up with a 128 a month later when I was sure that I bombed it.

Reactions: 1 users
100% after. I went on vacation for the first two weeks and barely thought about it, so that was okay. But the last two weeks, it consumed my every thought. I checked the AAMC page every day to see if the scores would be posted early (irrational, I know) and read countless SDN posts about the correlation between post-MCAT feelings and actual score. The relief I felt when the scores were posted was unimaginable.

It was definitely after that was worse. Before the test, I had something to work on and think about besides my gap year job. After the exam, that was all I could think about all the time.

Let us just say that things worked out in the end. All the feelings opposite of STD testing for some patients.

It was definitely after that was worse. Before the test, I had something to work on and think about besides my gap year job. After the exam, that was all I could think about all the time.

Let us just say that things worked out in the end. All the feelings opposite of STD testing for some patients.
preview.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Before. I'll take lounging by the pool during summer and occasionally worrying about my score over sitting in a library for 10 hours. And i wasnt even confident after the test or anything, but I just found stuff to do to keep my mind off of it

Reactions: 8 users
i guess im in the minority, bc it was way worse before for me. I was so stressed out I could feel my pulse behind my eyes. it was such a relief walking away from the test

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last two weeks before the MCAT, I put myself on house arrest and just stayed in my room all day studying, taking practice exams, and panicking about the exam. The four weeks before getting your score are unbearably slow, but at least for me, stress levels were low because I could ease up on studying and actually get some fresh air.

Before 10000%. How can studying 5-12 hrs a day for a high stakes career deciding test where every single hour seems incredibly important even compare to after when everything is out of your control? I didn't even sleep the night before my exam because of the adrenaline rush

Before 10000%. How can studying 5-12 hrs a day for a high stakes career deciding test where every single hour seems incredibly important even compare to after when everything is out of your control? I didn't even sleep the night before my exam because of the adrenaline rush
This. Three MCAT attempts and insomnia before every test date.

I think it depends on how confident you feel leaving the exam room. I felt like I did well enough, so post test was really anti-climactic. I think I freak out more about Step 1 now, and it's still a year away.

This. Three MCAT attempts and insomnia before every test date.

Damn I thought I was the only one. NO sleep either.

I ended up chugging a coffee from a McDonalds across the street about 5 minutes before my test started.

Reactions: 3 users
right before my test I took an unexpected PGP in the testing center because I was so nervous.

Absolutely four weeks after the exam because at that point you're helpless and there's nothing you can do to control your fate. I guess that may make some people see it as better but for me that's a worse form of suffering.

I remember counting ~7 questions I missed on the C/P section, IN the parking lot right after the test, not including the ones that I marked and was unsure of. Still ended up with a 128 a month later when I was sure that I bombed it.
I read that 128 total and I was like o_O

i guess im in the minority, bc it was way worse before for me. I was so stressed out I could feel my pulse behind my eyes. it was such a relief walking away from the test
That's how I feel now that I 'm retaking orgo and CANT **** IT UP AGAIN. I puked this morning ( exam was yesterday) because I had a dream that I failed it.

As someone who has to wait two more weeks for my score, the 4 weeks before the test were worse for me and it's not even close. At this point it is what it is, no use stressing about it. I'm just glad it's over.

after. because you have no control of the situation at this point, but before hand you can at least study more, review and have a good sleep schedule in preparation

As someone who has to wait two more weeks for my score, the 4 weeks before the test were worse for me and it's not even close. At this point it is what it is, no use stressing about it. I'm just glad it's over.

It's not two weeks, it's only 13 days! (not that I'm counting)

Wow I can't believe this is a 50/50 split right now. I relaxed the last two weeks before my exam, watched a few khan academy videos, and basically looked at it as I knew what I was going to know. The month after was pretty horrible though I kept thinking about every single question I could've gotten wrong, stressed about the though of having to retake, and even considered starting to study again. After for sure sucked way more for me at least.

Before 1000X. But studying for an extremely high stakes career depends on it exam while your wife is in the middle of a very high risk pregnancy with complications tends to not be a good combo. The only time I worried about my score the four weeks after were the few minutes waiting for the scores to post.

Hopping on that "insomnia for the month before the test train." I need to get that **** sorted out before step one....yikes

4 weeks after was definitely worse, but the morning of the test was way worse than the morning of getting my scores

Four weeks before. The four weeks after would have been hell, but I made sure I was extremely busy so that my mind was not on it. Also, I took enough practice tests that I was fairly certain what range my score would be in

Before was definitely more stressful for me. When I took the MCAT, I was satisfied with my practice test scores so I was relatively confident that I wasn't going to do terrible. I kept myself busy the month after taking the MCAT and the nervousness hit me on the day that the scores were released.

After for sure. Leading up to it I was using the SN2 study guide and felt confident, and the practice exams were the last bits so I knew what to expect. Afterwords is when your anxiety grows...endlessly.

After. The last few weeks before I really backed off on my MCAT prep so I could be focused and relaxed on test day. After the MCAT my anxiety just kept building and building

You guys are awesome! Very genuine responses. This is why I love SDN :) TBH I'm just glad that no one picked a fight on this thread by now lol

You guys are awesome! Very genuine responses. This is why I love SDN :) TBH I'm just glad that no one picked a fight on this thread by now lol

What did you expect.. us to sing kumbaya and share MCAT study tips? reddit premed is that way --->

jk

(not jk)

For me, the first two weeks after taking it were super stressful (especially with people who didn't know about the wait period asking how I did or how I thought I did). Then I actually kind of forgot about it until the day that the score report was released.
I don't think the month after was significantly more stressful than the month before, but unlike most people posting on SDN, I was massively not ready when I took the MCAT.
How did you do if you don't mind my asking?

I vote after. There is just so much uncertainty until you get your scores back, where at at least you have some control and "excitement" before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I actually thought the 4 weeks before were worse. At least you can drink and forget about it after it's done! (Or at least I could since I wasn't in school anymore by the time I took the MCAT.)

For me, after the test!

Two weeks after the test: kept busy, drank on the weekends (I got obliterated the night after my test), went on walks, etc.
Two weeks before score release: one hour I thought I scored a 515, another hour I thought I scored a 489, the next hour I was praying for anything over a 500, etc.
The day of my score release: I felt like I was going to throw up my heart. Then it came back and all was well!

The weeks before the test were filled with studying, so I didn't have much time to worry. The wait for one's score is, without a doubt, the worst.

yes, I agree before is wayyyyyyyy worse. After, it's out of my control so I was distracted the whole 4 weeks. I went to the beach, drank, saw friends I never got see see when I was studying for 6 months. I was hugely distracted also by a breakup at the time. Well, the idiot broke up with me 2 weeks before MCAT and I kept myself busy studying to refrain from getting upset about it. So, I saved my tears and emotions until after, so that was a good distraction too.

Hopping on that "insomnia for the month before the test train." I need to get that **** sorted out before step one....yikes

hahah same! I took MCAT twice and the first time I slept fine, but the second time I was 1000x more stressed, so sleeping was not happening for me. I think it affected my score so I def need to sort it out too :/

I read that 128 total and I was like o_O

lol same, i scored 128 in CP (i still call it PS in my head cuz I took the old exam and the new one:rolleyes:) and i was like :OOOOOOO wtf. but happy, nonetheless!

lol same, i scored 128 in CP (i still call it PS in my head cuz I took the old exam and the new one:rolleyes:) and i was like :OOOOOOO wtf. but happy, nonetheless!

128 CP must have a huge curve.. because I legit felt I deserved a 125 or less..

Nothing is worse than the day AAMC releases your scores...
Never have I been twitter more than that day.

I hate that test with with all the weight I gained while studying for it.

Before, because I was still in school so I had to focus on exams and stuff. After the MCAT, the month went by really quick, because again, also had exams, papers, lab reports, etc.

I'm lucky because I never get nervous before a big test. I'm unlucky because I freak out after it. Not gonna lie, one of the (not the main) deciding factors for the school I chose is because profs. have to get test scores back within two days lol