You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Whats wrong with California Northern State?
Started by Dr. Stalker
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you don't want to read through all (currently) 13 pages of the thread about this, why not post there asking for a summary of the negatives. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/california-northstate-gains-accreditation.1142846/A post was recently made about this school and most people were speaking negatively about this school without directly saying why - whats wrong with it?????
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are several thing.
1. It is for profit
2. It is a new school so there is no way of knowing how good the education/rotations will be which should give all students at least some concern
3. The faculty list leaves something to be desired, lots of IMG and not many big names
4. Only provisionally accredited which means there is a small chance it might not get full accreditation leaving the students up **** creek
5. No access to federal student loans
That being said I applied and interviewed there and if accepted I will be attending.
1. It is for profit
2. It is a new school so there is no way of knowing how good the education/rotations will be which should give all students at least some concern
3. The faculty list leaves something to be desired, lots of IMG and not many big names
4. Only provisionally accredited which means there is a small chance it might not get full accreditation leaving the students up **** creek
5. No access to federal student loans
That being said I applied and interviewed there and if accepted I will be attending.
Is two threads not enough already?
It should be but people are lazy and dont want to read all 13 pages.
There are several thing.
1. It is for profit
2. It is a new school so there is no way of knowing how good the education/rotations will be which should give all students at least some concern
3. The faculty list leaves something to be desired, lots of IMG and not many big names
4. Only provisionally accredited which means there is a small chance it might not get full accreditation leaving the students up **** creek
5. No access to federal student loans
That being said I applied and interviewed there and if accepted I will be attending.
If it has that many significant negatives, why not apply to a DO school in your area and go there instead?
If it has that many significant negatives, why not apply to a DO school in your area and go there instead?
Because I can start an entire year earlier and as an older student that is somewhat important. My application has some red flags on it so I really can't turn down an acceptance. Also some of the concerns can be mitigated and I really dont have any plans to go into super competitive residencies so some of these concerns are less important in my case. Overall if I had an acceptance to a DO or MD school that started this fall I would go there instead.
Because the school , if it works, will grant MDs...basically the same answer as "you got accepted to DO last cycle, why are you reapplying MD?"If it has that many significant negatives, why not apply to a DO school in your area and go there instead?
Prestige/ego, desire for specialties with significant anti DO bias
When did you interview, last cycle or this current one?! Its only July 11, and they're sending out interviews and IIs?!?!There are several thing.
1. It is for profit
2. It is a new school so there is no way of knowing how good the education/rotations will be which should give all students at least some concern
3. The faculty list leaves something to be desired, lots of IMG and not many big names
4. Only provisionally accredited which means there is a small chance it might not get full accreditation leaving the students up **** creek
5. No access to federal student loans
That being said I applied and interviewed there and if accepted I will be attending.
When did you interview, last cycle or this current one?! Its only July 11, and they're sending out interviews and IIs?!?!
II = Interview.
Had to point out the redundancy.
Haha ya got me. A lot of your points were very helpful, thanks for clearing it up. I just found it odd people were bashing a Cali Med school - but this doesn't appear to be on par with the reputation that Cali med schools carry (such as UCSF, UCLA), this seems very fishy...II = Interview.
Had to point out the redundancy.
If this school manages to retain accreditation and expand their class size as predicted, who knows maybe it will eventually be less despised. However, after reading all 13 pages of main thread about CNUSOM, it seems like a Caribbean school that's actually on mainland US soil haha! Curious to see if this school does last, where the medical students will rotate and ultimately match!
I was mainly asking because from what I had heard, a lot of people disliked this school because it was for-profit. While I certainly disagree with that point (I actually believe in free education all the way [as seen in certain European countries...]) I didn't think a school would get so much hate for ONLY being "for-profit," so I wanted to see what else was up with this institution.
When did you interview, last cycle or this current one?! Its only July 11, and they're sending out interviews and IIs?!?!
I interviewed 7/7 for what would have been last cycle. But the only got preliminary accreditation earlier spring so they plan on fielding a class of 60 students for this fall in 3 months. I should hear back if I got in or not by the 22nd of this month.
7/7/ LAST YEAR or 7/7 4 days ago? Sorry I just want to be sure about what you're sayinglolI interviewed 7/7 for what would have been last cycle. But the only got preliminary accreditation earlier spring so they plan on fielding a class of 60 students for this fall in 3 months. I should hear back if I got in or not by the 22nd of this month.
Haha ya got me. A lot of your points were very helpful, thanks for clearing it up. I just found it odd people were bashing a Cali Med school - but this doesn't appear to be on par with the reputation that Cali med schools carry (such as UCSF, UCLA), this seems very fishy...
If this school manages to retain accreditation and expand their class size as predicted, who knows maybe it will eventually be less despised. However, after reading all 13 pages of main thread about CNUSOM, it seems like a Caribbean school that's actually on mainland US soil haha! Curious to see if this school does last, where the medical students will rotate and ultimately match!
I was mainly asking because from what I had heard, a lot of people disliked this school because it was for-profit. While I certainly disagree with that point (I actually believe in free education all the way [as seen in certain European countries...]) I didn't think a school would get so much hate for ONLY being "for-profit," so I wanted to see what else was up with this institution.
I believe that most of the complaints about the school have merit but some people are being overly dramatic about them. This school is without a doubt a better option than going carribean but I would attend just about any US based MD or DO school over CNU.
7/7/ LAST YEAR or 7/7 4 days ago? Sorry I just want to be sure about what you're sayinglol
4 days ago, if nothing else I am loving how quick this is going.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of curiosity, why would a school accept you if you have red flags?
Because I can start an entire year earlier and as an older student that is somewhat important. My application has some red flags on it so I really can't turn down an acceptance. Also some of the concerns can be mitigated and I really dont have any plans to go into super competitive residencies so some of these concerns are less important in my case. Overall if I had an acceptance to a DO or MD school that started this fall I would go there instead.
Out of curiosity, why would a school accept you if you have red flags?
And especially when they have so much to prove. If anything I feel like they are looking for solid applicants right now and not taking any risks that a more established school can afford.
Out of curiosity, why would a school accept you if you have red flags?
My red flag is a low GPA, probably wasn't the best term to use but I was on my phone and didn't want to type all of it out. I have worked on my GPA over the last 5 years but working full time and with a family I am realistically only able to do 2 courses a semester so it has been slow going, but my GPA is steadily going up.
And especially when they have so much to prove. If anything I feel like they are looking for solid applicants right now and not taking any risks that a more established school can afford.
Honestly I have no idea why I was invited for an interview over other applicants with better stats, I believe that applying early has definitely helped me though.
Many thanks for sharing!
My red flag is a low GPA, probably wasn't the best term to use but I was on my phone and didn't want to type all of it out. I have worked on my GPA over the last 5 years but working full time and with a family I am realistically only able to do 2 courses a semester so it has been slow going, but my GPA is steadily going up.
Honestly I have no idea why I was invited for an interview over other applicants with better stats, I believe that applying early has definitely helped me though.
Many thanks for sharing!
Not a problem. Honestly I am pretty anxious about hearing back from them, so I have been spending a lot of time on SDN. I didn't think I would have a chance until next year at the earliest but the chance to start this fall has my wife and I pretty excited/anxious.
Rooting for you!!Not a problem. Honestly I am pretty anxious about hearing back from them, so I have been spending a lot of time on SDN. I didn't think I would have a chance until next year at the earliest but the chance to start this fall has my wife and I pretty excited/anxious.
which you could have done by reading the original thread.so I wanted to see what else was up with this institution.
this generation is so lazy
FTFYIt should be but people are entitled and dont want to read all 13 pages.
What's NOT wrong with California Northern State?
FTFY
Need dat buzzword ehFTFY
IKRNeed dat buzzword eh
Yes, yes we are! 😛 I should've consulted those 13 pages though but I legit didn't feel like it LOLwhich you could have done by reading the original thread.
this generation is so lazy
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 784
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 671
