What's wrong with Cleveland, Ohio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi61385

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at dental schools and Case looks very attractive. However, looking over past posts, many seem to say that the school is great but the city sucks. I haven't actually been around that area and was wondering what exactly is wrong with the city.

Any opinions are welcomed :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking at dental schools and Case looks very attractive. However, looking over past posts, many seem to say that the school is great but the city sucks. I haven't actually been around that area and was wondering what exactly is wrong with the city.

Any opinions are welcomed :)

I like Case. The school is very nice, but i'm not sure about Cleaveland. Look on the bright side, I bet there are a lot of fun things you can do in the school.

Cleavland is a larger miswestern city recovering from post-industrialization. Its not new-york or san fran, pr even chicago but its not detroit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Case. The school is very nice, but i'm not sure about Cleaveland. Look on the bright side, I bet there are a lot of fun things you can do in the school.

I think a similar case can be made about Buffalo. Good school, city not as good (weather and economics).

I cant speak from personal experience, so dont take what I say to heart. However I know many people who have lived there at some time in their life. The general consensus is that the town is really poor, theres not much opportunity. The city is literally just rotting away. The current population of Cleveland is half of what it was 80 years ago. Every decade since 1930 its population has decreased according to this census data im looking at. Over a quarter of the city lives below the poverty line. In short, Drew Carey lied.

On the otherhand, I only hear great things about Case...

the school was great, but the area outside campus is sketchy from what i hear and being a resident of ohio i know the weather sucks here and it will only be worse in cleveland because of the lake snow

I have now lived here for about 9 months and this is my impression of the city: Just like any other large city in the U.S. there are good spots and bad, if you come here, you'll have plenty of colleagues to inform you of which parts of town to avoid. The surrounding towns where many of the dental students live are great and have relatively low crime. I have a wife and a two-year-old and live in Cleveland Heights, and I honestly have NEVER felt that me or my family have been in danger. As far as "fun" things to do, there is something for everybody (i.e. great parks, museums, events, bars, historical sites, etc.) True, come end of December/early January it's cold as hell and miserable, but you're in school most of the time so what do you care? As far as the school goes, as has been said in previous posts, it is top notch. Being in the class of "guinea pigs" for the new curriculum has been a hassle at times, but next year's class will have it much better. I turned down other good schools (Michigan, UNLV, Nova, Indiana) to come here and have not regretted it for one moment. And,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you get here and decide you really do hate Cleveland, then just stay inside and bust your balls studying and daydreaming about four years down the road when you'll be a practicing dentist somewhere warm like Arizona or San Diego!!!:D

So basically there's not much to do in the city (or is it the city is somewhat dangerous?) and the weather isn't great?

Coming from a small town, I believe I am fine with having nothing to do outside of school. I think I am fine with snow. I am already used to depressing grey skies. The only thing I can't stand rain that comes in slanted :p drives me nuts when I get half my body wet even when I'm using an umbrella.

Sure cleveland is not great..but many cities have their flaws. I mean, I'm going to detroit-mercy. arguably the worst city in the country...and coming from Chicago (the BEST city in my opinion) is not going to be the easiest transition. But i'm only going there b/c the school is very good and being in a crappy area they tend to see pretty crazy stuff on a regular basis in the clinics (so i hear). But i'm in NO WAY living in detroit. might be sort of the same for cleveland...go to school there, live somewhere else.