What's your favorite book on medicine??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastbastion

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, yeah, pretty straightfoward. Can be about medical procedures, doctors, medical school, etc.

My favorite out of all of mine is Ben Carson's autobiography "Gifted Hands".

How about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

"Learning to play God", by Marion.

Good stuff although a little dated for us today. All these "God" books out there by docs, maybe a little of the old school god-complex or something else :laugh:

My favorite would have to be by Dr. Christian Barnard, a sort of medical history and in-depth look at the heart. The book is VERY out-of-print, and I read the Swedish version of it (loosely translates into something like "My beating heart"). Very well-written and recommendable, if you can find it that is.

anybody ever read "a fortunate man" by john berger?
i don't think i've ever talked to anyone else who's read it, but i really liked it a lot.

I have read almost all of these. Someone start writing something new.

I've said this before... Catch-22, a war novel, is my favorite book on medicine.

Loved House of God & M*A*S*H*, but Catch-22 is way crazier.

Lately, my book of the moment is Steadman's concise dictionary. Perfect for my short attention span. So far, every term I wanted to know is in there, even the words I swear must have been typos.

Cleo

Hey, I read Becoming a Doctor, and boy was I upset at his final decision.

To go through medical school and then not to pursue residency should be a crime!

He took a perfectly good applicant's spot, someone who would probably have gone through residency and would have spent their life as a practicing physician.

Really gets me mad, ya heard?

I truly enjoyed the medical masterpiece, "Everybody Poops"

By the way, has anybody read the sequel to House of God called "Mount Misery". Is it worth taking the time to read?

flindophile- Thanks.

I haven't read Severed Trust or The Coming Plague. I'll have to get on amazon and get em now.

Great. I didn't realize I was signing up for a spoiler to Becoming a Doctor. Thanks guys! I'm about halfway through the book right now, and while I think it's very very well-written, I was really disappointed because I didn't think I had bought a biography (I bought it online), but more of how one 'becomes a doctor'. Anyhow, it is not the best book I've read on medicine by faaar - he writes well, I'll give him that, but otherwise, nah...

Osler's "A Way of Life" and other addresses, with commentary and annotations--it's pretty old, but a great read.

Not All of Us are Saints, by David Hilfiker. About a doc who switches from rural practice to running a shelter & clinic for homeless men in inner-city D.C, has to deal with depression & burnout, etc. I keep lending it out, not getting it back, and having to buy a new one (3x now), if that says anything for it. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in working with urban underserved folks.

How We Die - Reflections on Life's Final Chapter, by Sherwin Nuland. Death (in many different contexts - including doctor's own family, many different causes) from the perspective of a doctor. Sounds profoundly depressing, but somehow I didn't find it so.

On Doctoring, edited by Richard Reynolds et. al. A collection of stories, poems, essays, etc. about doctoring, being a patient, dying, etc. For those of literary bent.

I have the Nuland book too; didn't like it ALL that much, in part because I thought the guy had a staggering sense of self-importance.

Complications, by Gawande
Hospital, by Lewis

First Cut: A Season in the Human Anatomy Lab by Albert Howard, III Carter, Howard Carter (listing from amazon)

Looks at first term anatomy at emory med sch. the guy is a writer (a damn good one) and he spends a semester at emory along with regular med students in the anatomy lab.

he writes about what they do, but goes a tad deeper into historical roots, philosophy, etc. good for those curious about anatomy lab.

best,
captjack

BTW, listen to the California Guitar Trio! Good stuff! :)

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down...by Anne Fadiman. An amazing story about a Hmong family in CA with a daughter who has epilepsy. A great intro to some of the cultural barriers in medicine, and a absolutely intriguing read.

also, if anyone needs a break from medical stuff, milan kundera is always a favorite of mine.

Originally posted by linguo1
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down...by Anne Fadiman. An amazing story about a Hmong family in CA with a daughter who has epilepsy. A great intro to some of the cultural barriers in medicine, and a absolutely intriguing read.

true. i meant to recommend this book, as well. really good (and important, i think) read.

i've seen it on lots of people's bookshelves over the years...

"if i get to five" by fred epstein is dope. he's a peds neurosurgeon who has been recovering from an epidural hematoma, and the book is sort of a retrospective on how his patients have dealt with their conditions.

"anatomy of a child" by darshak shangavi is also pretty good. it's sort of a gawande rip-off, but it's still very enjoyable. each chapter he takes on an organ system and just laces it with stories from his peds residency.

THE GREATEST BENEFIT TO MANKIND- A HISTORY OF MEDICINE

IT'S A THICK ONE SO BE READY.....