What's your first-choice school? Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futureDPT/DO

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! With the opening of applications for programs drawing near, I thought it would be fun to throw out this topic: What's your first-choice school, and why?

Forget about rankings, requirements, and struggling to make the perfect application for a second and just think about where you would really want to go if you could.

What are you looking for in a physical therapy program? What's the most important part of a program, and why do you think so?

Also, is anyone looking for a Bachelor's or Master's degree of Physical Therapy? If so, where are you hoping to go? I've always assumed that everyone here is trying to get into a DPT program, but I recently found out that there are still some Bachelor's and Master's programs out there.
 
Which programs still have bachelor's or masters? I highly doubt there are bachelor programs still, unless you are talking about another country
 
Bachelors pt programs are nonexistent, and even if they are having those degrees probably wont make you competitive in the real world job market. I think that there are less than a handful of master programs left. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, by the year 2017 all masters programs will be phased out
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bachelors pt programs are nonexistent, and even if they are having those degrees probably wont make you competitive in the real world job market. I think that there are less than a handful of master programs left. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, by the year 2017 all masters programs will be phased out

2020, I believe it is, actually. That's when they're mandated to be phased out. Most schools, save for one in the Bahamas, have already made the transition.
 
Which programs still have bachelor's or masters? I highly doubt there are bachelor programs still, unless you are talking about another country
Bachelors pt programs are nonexistent, and even if they are having those degrees probably wont make you competitive in the real world job market. I think that there are less than a handful of master programs left. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, by the year 2017 all masters programs will be phased out
A lot of online universities actually offer Bachelor's of Physical Therapy degrees. One of the reputable hospitals in my area actually consider physical therapy job applicants with a bachelor's, which is how I found out. They never get the job, of course, with so many DPTs out there, but I just wanted to include all of the people who are more for the online university lifestyle in the discussion. I'm not personally for that kind of thing, but some people are, and I thought it best not to judge or dismiss them.
 
A lot of online universities actually offer Bachelor's of Physical Therapy degrees. One of the reputable hospitals in my area actually consider physical therapy job applicants with a bachelor's, which is how I found out. They never get the job, of course, with so many DPTs out there, but I just wanted to include all of the people who are more for the online university lifestyle in the discussion. I'm not personally for that kind of thing, but some people are, and I thought it best not to judge or dismiss them.

That's a common occurrence. Most older PTs or those from foreign countries may only a bachelors, hence why hospitals will allow them to apply since they are licensed. As of online degrees that offer a bachelors in physical therapy... you may be confusing that with a bachelors in pre-physical therapy. They would not sit for the exam and would not be licensed.

This is common for a lot of allied-health fields in transition. I used to work in prosthetics and orthotics as a technician and originally looked into entering a school there. Most prosthetists, like the one I worked under, have a bachelors in their field... but now a master's is required before being licensed.
 
A lot of online universities actually offer Bachelor's of Physical Therapy degrees. One of the reputable hospitals in my area actually consider physical therapy job applicants with a bachelor's, which is how I found out. They never get the job, of course, with so many DPTs out there, but I just wanted to include all of the people who are more for the online university lifestyle in the discussion. I'm not personally for that kind of thing, but some people are, and I thought it best not to judge or dismiss them.
Yeah I don't think there are any online universities that offer a bachelors for physical therapy in the United States...I agree with what VitaminPT just said
 
haha yeah it did get off-topic...to answer the OP question, my top choices were:

1.) Puget Sound
2.) U of Washington
3.) U of New England
4.) U of Central Florida
5.) Duke/Regis/U of Miami (didn't apply to these programs cuz I didn't have the pre-reqs)

All of these schools had good graduation rates, first time NPTE pass rates, faculty and ideal locations for me (other than Duke...don't really care to live in North Carolina...but looks like a great program)
 
Army-Baylor

Why? After 14 years in the Army I want to treat fellow service members and Army-Baylor specializes in creating military PT's. Of course having a great reputation and getting paid to go to school are perks as well. It's the only program I plan on applying to.
 
Also, is anyone looking for a Bachelor's or Master's degree of Physical Therapy? If so, where are you hoping to go? I've always assumed that everyone here is trying to get into a DPT program, but I recently found out that there are still some Bachelor's and Master's programs out there.

If you're planning to dedicate yourself to a career field, such as PT, you need to do your research. Define CAPTE, visit their website, and look at their list of accredited programs. Then look at the history of PT education.

There are BSPTs out there. Most are at the director level and above. There are also foreign graduates who obtained a BSPT before asking an agency to verify their course equivalency and take the NPTE.

So what are you going for? PT or DO? Choose one and learn about the profession.
 
I hear you. I'm in the Air Force, so I'm hoping to get a little help with tuition, but trying to get a scholarship for grad school from the military is so much harder and competitive than anyone lets on. I'd love to get out there and see some new places, but out of state tuition is crazy!
If St augustine wasnt so expensive it would hands down be my top choice, since I live in md I'm inclined to pick umes and umb due to cost.
 
Army-Baylor

Why? After 14 years in the Army I want to treat fellow service members and Army-Baylor specializes in creating military PT's. Of course having a great reputation and getting paid to go to school are perks as well. It's the only program I plan on applying to.
That's awesome. I actually considered Army-Baylor, but ended up joining the Air Force instead. My entire family is Army though, I always try to encourage people to apply for Army-Baylor. What a great program.
 
Both, actually. I can't tell you how many times I get that question, though. DO or PT? I actually want both, but I want to finish PT first. Once I become a PT, I want to go back to school for a DO and specialize in surgery. Preferably orthopedic or neuro. That way, I can perform the surgery and help the patient through every step of his/her recovery, from the OR to the physical therapy.
My dream is to help as many patients as I can through everything. Recovering from surgery is hard, and if I can help them even more by guiding them through their recovery by physical therapy, I will. Even if it will take me a billion years and almost as many dollars to get through school.

A lot of surgeons have a reputation for being cold, but I want to break the mold and show patients I care about every part of their recovery, even after they leave my operating table.
If you're planning to dedicate yourself to a career field, such as PT, you need to do your research. Define CAPTE, visit their website, and look at their list of accredited programs. Then look at the history of PT education.

There are BSPTs out there. Most are at the director level and above. There are also foreign graduates who obtained a BSPT before asking an agency to verify their course equivalency and take the NPTE.

So what are you going for? PT or DO? Choose one and learn about the profession.
,
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's awesome. I actually considered Army-Baylor, but ended up joining the Air Force instead. My entire family is Army though, I always try to encourage people to apply for Army-Baylor. What a great program.

Army Baylor is open to everyone, including the main military branches.
 
Both, actually. I can't tell you how many times I get that question, though. DO or PT? I actually want both, but I want to finish PT first. Once I become a PT, I want to go back to school for a DO and specialize in surgery. Preferably orthopedic or neuro. That way, I can perform the surgery and help the patient through every step of his/her recovery, from the OR to the physical therapy.
My dream is to help as many patients as I can through everything. Recovering from surgery is hard, and if I can help them even more by guiding them through their recovery by physical therapy, I will. Even if it will take me a billion years and almost as many dollars to get through school.

A lot of surgeons have a reputation for being cold, but I want to break the mold and show patients I care about every part of their recovery, even after they leave my operating table.

,

Expensive and unnecessary. As an orthopedic surgeon, you'd be pulling in too much $ to spread yourself too thin by performing direct rehab. Good luck getting that residency as a DO.
 
Army Baylor is open to everyone, including the main military branches.

Wow, I'll definitely look into that. A lot of the alumni of Army Baylor I've spoken with say that preference is definitely given to current Army soldiers, but I'll try to consider applying.
 
It's not a preference. Think of it as slots/seats determined each year based on the needs of each service.
Well, right now, they're specifically recruiting civilian applicants for the Army and Navy, so I think it's pretty safe to say that those branches are where they prefer their students to be.

"Our top-ranked physical therapy doctoral program recruits and selects highly-qualified individuals from the civilian sector to join the military and become officers in the US Army or the US Navy."
- Baylor University's Army DPT Program homepage
 
Well, right now, they're specifically recruiting civilian applicants for the Army and Navy, so I think it's pretty safe to say that those branches are where they prefer their students to be.

"Our top-ranked physical therapy doctoral program recruits and selects highly-qualified individuals from the civilian sector to join the military and become officers in the US Army or the US Navy."
- Baylor University's Army DPT Program homepage

Yes and no. To be accepted as a civilian applicant you must go the Army or Navy route. Those who apply for Air Force slots must currently be in the Air Force in some capacity. Each class generally has around 26 people. They numbers fluctuate from year to year based on manning requirements, but the breakdown is generally something like 20 Army, 4 Navy, and 2 Air Force.
 
Yes and no. To be accepted as a civilian applicant you must go the Army or Navy route. Those who apply for Air Force slots must currently be in the Air Force in some capacity. Each class generally has around 26 people. They numbers fluctuate from year to year based on manning requirements, but the breakdown is generally something like 20 Army, 4 Navy, and 2 Air Force.

"The US Air Force has a separate selection process open ONLY to Active Duty Air Force Personnel and USAF ROTC/Academy Cadets."

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt/index.php?id=87580
 
Yes and no. To be accepted as a civilian applicant you must go the Army or Navy route. Those who apply for Air Force slots must currently be in the Air Force in some capacity. Each class generally has around 26 people. They numbers fluctuate from year to year based on manning requirements, but the breakdown is generally something like 20 Army, 4 Navy, and 2 Air Force.
2 slots is pretty slim, but thanks for the info, @scrawnyguy!
 
@futureDPT/DO I for one think the PT/DO thing you're suggesting is a really cool idea! I bet patients would feel a lot more comfortable having one person with them throughout the entire surgery and recovery process. And if you have the time and money for it then go for it! You have to be sensible of course and realize you'll be spending a LOT of your life in school and plenty of $$$ but if you have them means then go chase your dream 🙂

To try to bring this conversation back on track I'd have to say University of Wisconsin-Madison is my dream school. Its just one of those places where you fall in love with the campus immediately, there's a great atmosphere to the city, and the faculty is super friendly. Sadly I'd be considered out of state and I just can't justify spending nearly double what I would at a school in my own state 🙁
 
Wow, I'll definitely look into that. A lot of the alumni of Army Baylor I've spoken with say that preference is definitely given to current Army soldiers, but I'll try to consider applying.

All applicants must meet the same academic requirements for entry and selection--both civilians and military. Two thirds of all selected applicants are direct accession civilians. The remaining third are from active duty Army or Navy other career fields. USAF selections are always USAF ROTC grads, USAF AFA Grads or active duty USAF personnel.

Applicants go through a 2 part selection process. First is academic via PTCAS. Applicants will only complete military entrance steps this year if they are determined to be competitive after review of the PTCAS application and a phone interview. Interviews will be conducted after a review of the application in a proportion of applicants.
 
@futureDPT/DO I for one think the PT/DO thing you're suggesting is a really cool idea! I bet patients would feel a lot more comfortable having one person with them throughout the entire surgery and recovery process. And if you have the time and money for it then go for it! You have to be sensible of course and realize you'll be spending a LOT of your life in school and plenty of $$$ but if you have them means then go chase your dream 🙂

To try to bring this conversation back on track I'd have to say University of Wisconsin-Madison is my dream school. Its just one of those places where you fall in love with the campus immediately, there's a great atmosphere to the city, and the faculty is super friendly. Sadly I'd be considered out of state and I just can't justify spending nearly double what I would at a school in my own state 🙁


Thanks for the encouragement!

I feel you. I'm coming to terms with the same problems with my dream school. It's awful how costly dreams can be. But, I hope you're happy wherever you choose to go. They'll be lucky to have you.