What's your priority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Precarious_Yups

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
profile deleted

Members don't see this ad.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your physical condition. The good thing is that you recognize it -many people that are miserable don't. Maybe you could find a hobby that also gets you active physically. Just biking to school or work will help your energy and mood.

As far as dehydration is concerned, make sure the ratio of non-water beverages to water is 1:1.

Partying is a lot more fun when you jump in with both feet and freak out. I always had more fun when it was only twice a month vs twice a week, because I'd have a lot of wild energy to burn.

To answer your question and stop with the unsolicited advice:

Nothing clears my head better than rock climbing. There is a positive correlation between the hrs. spent on the rock and my GPA. After a good climb, I come home, eat, shower, and study with a clear mind. Movies are also a big escape. I like to watch a smart movie and talk about it afterwards. I'm also happiest when I avoid the TV because most of it is wasted time.

BONAFIED said:
I'm also happiest when I avoid the TV because most of it is wasted time.

I laid off the TV 5 yrs ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
the ladies..

there are so many beautiful ones out there, man..
...how could they not be a priority?

No TV = good GPA, good physical fitness, good social life
TV = bad everything

I havent had a TV in my apartment for 2 years and I am MUCH happier. I just watch movies on my computer sometimes.

Everyone: Just chuck the damn TV out the window.

To the OP: I find plenty of time to work and have a social life. The key for me was eliminating the time wasting things like TV or browsing Yahoo news or sleeping too much (more than 7-8 hours). This saved me around 4 hours or more a day. If time is not the issue, try signing up for fitness classes (rock climbing lessons, for example) or joining clubs just to force you to get out there more. When the semester begins for me I sign up for all these activities, some of which I drop and some of which I stick with.

But if you have a TV, definately get rid of it. TV is definately the devil :mad:

-P

or..
just have self control and don't watch the TV all day..
;)

While I do agree that avoiding television will lead to a much fuller and healthier life, I do admit that there are a few shows I am addicted to: Law and Order, The Simpsons, Oz, Babylon 5, and the one, the only ALIAS! Some TV is "the good crack" and must be enjoyed as such.

toothcaries said:
or..
just have self control and don't watch the TV all day..
;)

man, i wish i had some of that "self control" :oops:

i suppose if one did, though, tv would be nice

We just got cable and it has 133 channels. I don't know if this was the best especially since we don't watch that much TV. I don't think TV is the "devil", like someone said, you have to have self control. I love to watch a good documentary or sitcom once in a while. The issue is time management. I actually lived one year in college without TV and it wasn't that hard. Personally, my "devil" is the internet..I gotta control that.

My wife and I are addicted to Smallville like crack. Other than that, the only other TV we'll watch is American Idol, and the occasional BYU football game (except for when they suck, since we're fair-weather fans like most of the folks in Provo).

Then again, I waste plenty of time on SDN and other internet forums. I know exactly how you feel, Eha. Pick your poison! :)

Precarious_Yups said:
I want to add personal fitness to this list BIG TIME :D !
A couple of fitness plans you might want to check out are in the books Body-for-Life by Bill Phillips, and The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko. The best part about these plans is that you get great results for a minimal investment, and you still get weekly cheat meals which not only help you lose weight, but also help you psychologically. The food aspect takes a little bit of work and time to get used to, but once you get it down you'll feel great and won't have to put much time in.

The workouts take a minimal amount of time: about 45 minutes 3 days a week, and just 20 minutes the other three days. I recommend both highly, especially the Abs Diet since the food guidelines are even easier to follow than Body-for-Life's. :thumbup:

internet is definately the devil
tv is its little brother

amanmann said:
internet is definately the devil
tv is its little brother

can't agree with you more. the internet has ruined my life... it's also helped me out though... I think i'm spending too much time on these forums... :laugh:

Myself:

getting into dental school
exercising to keep my self physically-fit

I've had the label 'professional student' slapped on my back several times. What makes me 'me' - personality and my array of interests. I usually have some new hobby or project going.

As far as vices, I do like TV but I can go for long periods of time without it (i.e. during school) and I have never been much of a partyer although I love a good drink now and then. Probably what gets me into periodic trouble is eBay...

i think i'll have to add a vote for 'the internet' in the vice poll..

:oops:

at this point of my life.

God, education, social life, health, and family.

Seems like this is a pretty religious bunch. Everyone's priority is G-d.

My priorities are doing very well in dental school and my relationship with my girlfriend.

EHA DDS said:
Seems like this is a pretty religious bunch. Everyone's priority is G-d.

I've come to discover that health professionals are in general much more religious than our counter parts in the scientific community (for whatever reason). The one thing that always jaw-dropping shocks me though is that intelligent people, who despite years of rigorous (one would hope) training in the scientific method and many biology classes can still accept the "talking snake" theory of creation. These people frankly scare the bejesus out of me. I mean, even the POPE has accepted the veracity of evolution. Absolutely nothing wrong with faith in God (unless it has you flying airplanes into buildings), but dismissing THE fundemenal tenent of modern biology just blows me away.

BiOGoly said:
I've come to discover that health professionals are in general much more religious than our counter parts in the scientific community (for whatever reason). The one thing that always jaw-dropping shocks me though is that intelligent people, who despite years of rigorous (one would hope) training in the scientific method and many biology classes can still accept the "talking snake" theory of creation. These people frankly scare the bejesus out of me. I mean, even the POPE has accepted the veracity of evolution. Absolutely nothing wrong with faith in God (unless it has you flying airplanes into buildings), but dismissing THE fundemenal tenent of modern biology just blows me away.

No one said Creationism and evolution have to be in conflict. G-d may have used the Big Bang in order to create the world, for example.

My priority:

Time and health b/c once you lose them you can never get them back.