when a program calls you before match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookiereleaser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering those of you that have had calls from programs after your interview but before the match what they are normally about.

I have heard some kinda wierd stories about this and trying to ask you what you are ranking etc.

I had one call from an area code from a program im sure but they do not leave a message naturally.

could some of you please share your experiences with this type of thing?

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering those of you that have had calls from programs after your interview but before the match what they are normally about.

I have heard some kinda wierd stories about this and trying to ask you what you are ranking etc.

I had one call from an area code from a program im sure but they do not leave a message naturally.

match favors the applicant.... programs know this and like to reverse it so they get who they want. It is unethical but still done.

would you suggest calling the number back or just see if they leave a message or something, im sure they won't but it just seems wierd.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently had something similar happen, call from an area code from a program I had interviewed at. Naturally, I got super excited and called the number back.

Wrong number. What are the chances?

I'm sure that's not the case for you, but funny none the less.

Anyway, if a program calls you it's a nice reassurance, but technically it doesn't mean anything to you. Looking at the matching algorithm strategically, knowing how a program has ranked you doesn't doesn't affect how you should rank that program.

If my #1 called me today and told me I was being ranked last, I would still rank them #1, and vice versa. However, it would be some nice assurance that you're going match, and I suppose there is some value in attending a program where your skills were valued and appreciated :D

Unfortunately, some programs will do what you are saying... it is against the match rules. It is one of the reasons our program is not in the match.... cheating on the part of the programs and the students.... It is improving, but, this year we had a student who turned down an interview... he was accepted to a match program... it happens

What about all these thank you notes and emails I have received after interviews? C'mon!!!! The applicants hedge their bets as well. Every note says how much they want to come to my program, but a few days before match at least a few of these folks will have withdrawn. No one is innocent. The applicants want what is best for them, and the directors want to fill the program with good people. Every year it is a game.

What about all these thank you notes and emails I have received after interviews? C'mon!!!! The applicants hedge their bets as well. Every note says how much they want to come to my program, but a few days before match at least a few of these folks will have withdrawn. No one is innocent. The applicants want what is best for them, and the directors want to fill the program with good people. Every year it is a game.

how true

same thing happened to me a few days ago. i had 2 missed calls with no messages left from an unfamiliar #. i did reverse phone lookup on the white pages and it was the program director. when they dont leave a message it seems shady on their part, but i guess we should take it as a compliment?

Expect calls from programs ! I personally received 5/6 calls, didn't change my ranking however the only program that did not call despite being competitive, received the last position on my rank list. The match process is such a gamble but they are ways of making an educated process.

I also used the interaction to seek clarification in regard to any concerns I had regarding a particular program.