Accepting non-match offer while waiting for match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunandeagle

Reaction score
I recieved an offer from a non-match AEGD programme, but have not had the opportunity to interview for the match programmes. The non-match programme wants a reply within 3 days.

Can I accept the non-match offer and drop out should I receive a match offer?

Members don't see this ad.

I recieved an offer from a non-match AEGD programme, but have not had the opportunity to interview for the match programmes. The non-match programme wants a reply within 3 days.

Can I accept the non-match offer and drop out should I receive a match offer?
The program you drop can make your life hell. I believe when you signed your match agreement, you signed a contract saying you would drop yourself from the match if you took a spot. Snd since you’re breaking your match contract, they may drop you from the match program. Don’t burn bridges. Decide if you want to go to the non-match spot or not.

This is always the risk in applying to match and non-match programs. If you like the non-match you should accept it and drop out of the match. If you don't really like the non-match program you should decline the offer and continue interviewing. I understand that it would be a relief to have your program choice settled but if you accept a spot to a program you don't like just to be done with the process it could be a very long year. Do not accept the non-match offer and continue in the match. That's my opinion as a PD.

Reactions: 1 user
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

(Lots of wisdom in that old saying!)

Reactions: 1 user