When can I become an intern?

Started by lgooden
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lgooden

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I have been accepted to pharmacy school when can I start working as an intern? Do I have to wait until I start school or do I just need proof of acceptance?
 
lgooden said:
If I have been accepted to pharmacy school when can I start working as an intern? Do I have to wait until I start school or do I just need proof of acceptance?

You need to contact your school. Some schools allow you to begin as soon as you've been accepted and paid your deposit. Others make you wait until after your first year.
 
For california, you can't get your intern license until you have registered at a California School of Pharmacy. For UCSF that means paying your fees and filing your study list.

You can look into getting all the paper work done before starting, that would probably get you your license much sooner. Especial since starting this coming year P1's can start accumulating intern hours their first year.

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/licensing/intern_licensee.htm
Look into getting your fingerprinting and all the paper work done. Also looking into making sure your name is spelled exactly the same between your drivers license, social security card and application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here, we had to wait until we matriculated and got a letter from our school to take to the Board of Pharmacy for our intern license.

However, since I didn't have a job in pharmacy, the summer before I matriculated I contacted a recruiter from one of the retail chains and explained that I was matriculating in the fall and could I be hired in some other capacity in the interim (i.e. tech). This way it got me in the door and used to their computer system, etc whil eI had time to devote full time. It worked, that first recruiter emailed me back immediately and within 2 weeks had a position for me. It was nice to not have to look for a job once school started. Don't know if hospitals would do the same thing....
 
Here in New York, one is allowed to become an intern after completion of the 3rd year of a 6 year program. I am currently in my 3rd year so i'll be eligible soon. As said before, each state has different rules on eligibility