Aug 7, 2011
Status
Questions stay the same each cycle. There are lots of threads that address what prompts are given out. I would personally start brainstorming for your personal statement.

Feb 25, 2012
Status
Dental Student
You can make an AADSAS account now and see all the questions/prompts. Hell, you can submit an app to 1 school if you have $300(?) to spare and everything will automatically be there for you next cycle so that you can submit the moment it opens next cycle.

predentalgirl

5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
I personally finished the app itself in 1 day. Like the first day it opened.

But my personal statement took so much longer, I submit it 2 weeks later. Def start your personal statement, and finish it. So that it's ready for the day the app opens.

ModifiedBass

5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2013
Status
Dentist
Agree with all above. Just write/perfect your personal statement for now and start getting your LORs, etc. The app opens early June, but the first batch won't be sent out until late June anyway, so you have at least 2-3 weeks to get it finished (should in no way take you this long, like predentalgirl said it can be finished in a day) so there's really no need to see it now.

OP
P
Dec 4, 2013
Rochester, New York
Status
Pre-Dental
I personally finished the app itself in 1 day. Like the first day it opened.

But my personal statement took so much longer, I submit it 2 weeks later. Def start your personal statement, and finish it. So that it's ready for the day the app opens.
Hey do you mind telling me your stats when you applied? My stats aren't that great and I would like to get a sense of how helpful applying early would be

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Hey do you mind telling me your stats when you applied? My stats aren't that great and I would like to get a sense of how helpful applying early would be
The only part of the application that requires deep thinking is your personal statement. "Why do you want to be a dentist and what qualities do you have that you think will make you a great candidate?" 4500 characters, not words, max.

Everything else is simple personal information, like education background, family, volunteer locations, dates, and hours. All things you should be able to answer easily.

I'd recommend getting your LOR's as soon as you can. I used Interfolio, an online storage site. Pay $10 and you're good to use it for a year. It's best to ask for your letters when your professors are least busy (AKA as soon as possible because by June, you'll have plenty of students asking for letters). Once your writers submit their letters, it will sit in Interfolio until you want to use them.

Applying early will never harm you unless you rushed your application. Applying early also doesn't guarantee you anything, but it's better than applying later.

I submitted my application three weeks after it opened, stats in the signature.