When Can I take STEP 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Txed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US senior medical student. I will be graduating this coming may but will be completely done with school/clinical work by the end of March. I was wondering if it is possible to take STEP 3 before starting residency or do I need to wait until the end of my intern year to take it? I am taking a two month vacation but I think it will be nice if I can get that test out of the way if it were possible. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a US senior medical student. I will be graduating this coming may but will be completely done with school/clinical work by the end of March. I was wondering if it is possible to take STEP 3 before starting residency or do I need to wait until the end of my intern year to take it? I am taking a two month vacation but I think it will be nice if I can get that test out of the way if it were possible. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

The only requirement is that you passed step 2 and that you graduated. So after you graduate, you can go for it.

The only requirement is that you passed step 2 and that you graduated. So after you graduate, you can go for it.

Hey TXED-
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I graduate at the beginning of May, don't have anything going on in April and my wife is a teacher so we can't go on a vacation until June. Thus, my plan is to knock out Step3 in late May before my intern year. It seems very doable and will be nice to get out of the way before residency so I can use my vacation time for....vacation.

Hey TXED-
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I graduate at the beginning of May, don't have anything going on in April and my wife is a teacher so we can't go on a vacation until June. Thus, my plan is to knock out Step3 in late May before my intern year. It seems very doable and will be nice to get out of the way before residency so I can use my vacation time for....vacation.

Make sure you apply for it soon, because it can take a while to get your scheduling permit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, be aware that in many, if not most states there is a training requirement, meaning that you must have completed your first year, or in some cases at least begun residency training. But, you can take the exam in any state, it doesn't have to be the one you do residency in, so if there's a state without a training requirement where you would be willing to go to take the exam you could do that.

I tell you, this exam is so biased towards IM, FM and OBGYN residents... the test is practically their inservices.. especially FM.. Most of the blocks are outpatient office. Be careful.

Also, be aware that in many, if not most states there is a training requirement, meaning that you must have completed your first year, or in some cases at least begun residency training. But, you can take the exam in any state, it doesn't have to be the one you do residency in, so if there's a state without a training requirement where you would be willing to go to take the exam you could do that.

actually, it's even easier then that - you just have to register for the exam in a state without the requirement - but you can take it anywhere. In Florida, this already what the first year residents do.

Anybody have any experience taking it just before intern year?