When did you all start studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamylT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the MCAT early 2022 (or at least early enough to get applications in before the 2023 window closes). I graduated high school in 2007, and most of my college/post-bac career was not in the sciences (a lot of languages and theology, once upon a time).

I started hitting sciences again late last summer and plan on getting prerequisites done by this year. IIRC, biochem will be this Fall, and I don't plan on retaking any Psych courses (last time was AP psych, junior year in HS; made a 5 on the test but remember nothing).

I've read around 3-6 months is when people begin. Is that generally just a good time frame, or because I'm taking my classes fairly late relative to when I plan on taking the MCAT, I should be starting earlier? How much merit is there to going along with the MCAT prep books while taking the class itself?

My plan is essentially TBR, Anki decks, and whatever AAMC/Examkrackers puts out for practice sections/FLs.

Members don't see this ad.

I "started" 6 months prior ( just skimming EK prep books). I didn't actually make a plan until 3 months prior, but honestly, I did the bulk of my studying and FLs 1.5 months prior. My situation was very different from yours however. I took most of my science pre-reqs 5-7 years ago, so I really needed that refresher period. The last month and half was me knowing the basics already and hitting practice tests hard. Since you are taking those courses closer to your exam date, I don't think you'll need to start 6 months prior, as long as you do well in those courses and remember the concepts.

Also, I think it depends on how you learn and test in general. Me, I'm the kind that can wait till 2 days prior and cram for an exam and get a decent grade. I do this because I feel like I'll forget if I start studying earlier. If you're the type that prefers to take your time and doesn't suffer from short-term memory loss like me, then it might be beneficial to start earlier.

Lastly, I REALLY recommend going by AAMC FLs only. I took other FL and they do not compare. AAMC FLs are structured and worded exactly like the real thing, so they can give you a good idea of what to expect. If you find yourself short on time, use as much AAMC material as you can, then use all other materials as secondary study materials.

It is an advantage to take the classes very close to the MCAT date. The reason people buy MCAT books is to review information from classes they took too long ago to remember reliably.
The undergrad classes are harder than the corresponding MCAT concepts. If you’re taking related classes immediately before the MCAT, you could use the MCAT book as a guide but you wouldn’t need to study out of it because it would be repeated, easier information.

3-6 months out is fine. I think 3 months is better but that’s only based on anecdotal evidence of memory decay past 3-4 months.

I did 6 weeks and got a 518.

Really kill the material when you learn it for your coursework. Once you got the concepts its relatively easy to pick back up.

UWorld and AAMC FLs are the best.

Don't bother with "content review". Uworld has great feedback. Just start working through the problems and then look into where your weak spots are. I hardly touched the study books I bought.

Reactions: 1 user