when did you declare to friends/fam/foes that you were premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qualityhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, at my university 80% of the first years claimed they were “premed” and actually put it on their facebook that they were. However, the next year, I found that only HALF were still left standing (many of which still have crappy gpas). One of my good friends, who didn’t do that wonderful in highschool says he put it on facebook, and all his friends from highschool/elementary school, looked at him like, “dude, you’re a da** premed?” and started laughing because apparently no one thought of him as “smart enough”(lets just say the kid pretty much was an antisocial outkast who smoked a bunch of weed (and I’m guilty of sometimes joining), and had mediocre-bad grades all throughout highschool(some As, Bs, a few C’s and actually almost failed a few classes), but COMPLETELY changed his life around in college, and is doing really awesome, gradewise/personality-wise/extracurricular-wise)). I'm wondering if anyone else was in a similar predicament? Anyhow, back to the initial question, when did you decide to let people (friends/fam/foes) know you’re premed, though means of speech, blogs, facebook, etc.? right from the gecko, or only until you actually got in?

Members don't see this ad.

For example, at my university 80% of the first years claimed they were "premed" and actually put it on their facebook that they were.

Hmmm well facebook didn't exist until the end of my junior year of college sooooo don't think i declared "premed" back then.....

I was declared premed the day that I was born.

Members don't see this ad :)
I declared I was pre-med to my eighth grade class.

People say premed like it's such a huge deal. There are more impressive things in life.

GET OVER IT.

But yeah, I too was declared a premed when I was born :oops:

People say premed like it's such a huge deal. There are more impressive things in life.

GET OVER IT.

But yeah, I too was declared a premed when I was born :oops:

exactly what I was gonna say. Where does everyone get off thinking that pre-med = respect? I have yet to experience any exalted response from my peers due to my pre-med status... nor do I expect any exalted response, for that matter.

I told my mom I was thinking about medicine when I was in the 8th grade and that didn't change until college of my sophomore year when I decided another four years of school too hideous to bear.

There was no big hoo-ha about being premed. Where I was from, premed was something everyone declared. In high school, I swear half the people in my honors classes said they were going to be 'premed' in college. In college, everyone I knew was premed, felt like 80% of the class were saying they wanted to be a doctor. People paused when you said you weren't premed :laugh:. And oh yeah, no facebook, myspace etc back when I was in college....you young'uns!

exactly what I was gonna say. Where does everyone get off thinking that pre-med = respect? I have yet to experience any exalted response from my peers due to my pre-med status... nor do I expect any exalted response, for that matter.
Maybe 'cause it's everyone around you is a pre-med too:D But I completely agree with you, people have to get over themselves and their egos thinking that being pre-med makes special/better than others. I always said I was a bio major and if asked further said that I plan on studying medicine afterwards. Don't you have to go to your friends/relatives department, pickup a major declaration form and say that you're premed:laugh:

Srsly?
Nobody even knew that I took any premed courses until I started going to med school interviews. Why would anyone want to admit to being pre-med? *shivers*

Maybe 'cause it's everyone around you is a pre-med too:D But I completely agree with you, people have to get over themselves and their egos thinking that being pre-med makes special/better than others. I always said I was a bio major and if asked further said that I plan on studying medicine afterwards. Don't you have to go to your friends/relatives department, pickup a major declaration form and say that you're premed:laugh:

Especially because the term "premed" is meanlingless. All it signifies is that we plan to apply to medical school. Anyone can be premed. Yet I still find myself explaining to people that I'm just like any other college student (I have little/no medical knowledge or skills, and I don't know what's wrong with your elbow).

Maybe 'cause it's everyone around you is a pre-med too:D But I completely agree with you, people have to get over themselves and their egos thinking that being pre-med makes special/better than others. I always said I was a bio major and if asked further said that I plan on studying medicine afterwards.

Ditto... except I have a different major. I've never called myself pre-med. It has been coming up a lot lately with my classmates though. Everyone in my cohort is getting placed into their practicums for next year. People keep asking me where I applied to be placed. I'm taking a year off of my program to finish pre-reqs because my major is really rigid, and it is nearly impossible to fit other classes (especially science classes) into the schedule. Everyone wants to know why I'm taking all these science classes, and I'm like "well, I'm going to apply to medical school after I graduate." You would not believe the responses I get. "OMG SO YOU'RE PREMED?!!!!!! WOW!!!" There aren't any other pre-meds in my cohort, but there are people applying to other programs after they graduate (nursing, law, etc.) I'm no different than the rest of my classmates, and I don't want to be treated any differently either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would not believe the responses I get. "OMG SO YOU'RE PREMED?!!!!!! WOW!!!" There aren't any other pre-meds in my cohort, but there are people applying to other programs after they graduate (nursing, law, etc.) I'm no different than the rest of my classmates, and I don't want to be treated any differently either.

Perhaps I went to school in the twilight zone because once anyone found out I was pre-med I'd get the following responses:
1). "BOOOORING!"
2). "Oh I'm so sorry. You'll be making $100K in ten years and I'll be making $200K when I graduate."
3). "Shut up and chug!"

I walked onto campus my freshman year and declared myself a varsity soccer player and I made the team and played kick-ass soccer for 4 years. My sophomore year, I declared myself a salsa dancer, and I danced my heart out for the next three years with the hottest girls on campus. I never did declare myself a pre-med, which probably contributed to my fantastic social life as a college student.

Never. I was nearly finished with my Masters when I decided to go into medicine, and it would have been incredibly tacky to tell people that I was pre-med as a grad student.

On the same note, my family doesn't know that I'm in medical school; and I'm nearly finished with MS 1.

some premeds CONSTANTLY whine and complain that they are in fact “premed” and how they’re slaving away for their grades every second of their existance. If you don’t tell them you’re premed yourself (which I never do), they will literally spend the entire time you are in their presence (as well as even after you run the heck away from them or cry bloody mary pleading for them to stop) telling you how their bio, or cell bio, or genetics major is so godda** hard and “challenging” and how anyone who is not premed, has it ridiculously easy in college, as if they don’t even need to go to class and still maintain As. Oh no, they don’t stop there. They will then snivel about how they’re sucking up to the professors so they can get a good letter of rec. (mind you, this person was nearly failing the class, and still attempted to butter up the professor, including bringing coffee for her every dam* class, in hopes of getting a recommendation they think will be the golden ticket to getting in med school, wtf??!!). not only that, some premeds seriously look down on anyone who isn’t premed, and those who are premed like themselves, they hate them with every inch of their blood-thirsty body. I’m embarrassed to associate myself with these types of people. By the way, has anyone of you guys ever denied the fact that you are premed? I feel like I’ve had to do this in a few cases, so those annoying ‘premeds’ would shut the f up and leave me alone. :eek:

People found out (I never told them) after I applied to med school.

...seven years old. watching bunion surgery on the learning channel (big time nerd alert!). 14 years premed and going strong! :laugh:

When I was a mere (yet incomplete) ovum in my mother's womb, I discovered that I wanted to be a doctor because I enjoyed helping all the immature oocytes in their follicles develop fully. It was then that I found my calling.

A few weeks later came the sperm and I became the first-ever embryo to have declared a pre-medical major inside my mother's uterus.

On the same note, my family doesn't know that I'm in medical school; and I'm nearly finished with MS 1.

Now that sounds like a far more interesting thread topic. Do expand if you please.

Most of the pre-med BS is a line to get laid when your drunk with an easy female at a party... Not something I would do, but others do that all the time...

I officially decided after I came back from Iraq last January. I had been thinking about it for a couple of years though. I couldn't really figure out what I could do with a Bio degree aside from medicine. Then I went to Iraq and I was like, "Well, if I don't do medicine I could be doing that **** for the rest of my life."

Srsly?
Nobody even knew that I took any premed courses until I started going to med school interviews. Why would anyone want to admit to being pre-med? *shivers*

Nicely put!

By the way, has anyone of you guys ever denied the fact that you are premed? I feel like I’ve had to do this in a few cases, so those annoying ‘premeds’ would shut the f up and leave me alone. :eek:

When people ask what I study, I tell them my major. Are there schools where "premed" is a major? My school sure as hell doesn't.

To me saying you are premed is exactly synonymous with saying "I want to attend medical school after I finish my undergrad major." That's it. Being premed is nothing special, as any idiot can come into college and declare himself as such. It's not something you have to earn...it just says what your intentions are after graduating (hopefully). That being said, the term is nothing to brag about, but at the same time I don't see it as shameful either. The only reason I would see for someone not to tell others they want to do medicine is to avoid the awkwardness of perhaps not getting in and then having to explain to people what happened when you decide to teach high school biology instead of become a doctor. At school unless you hide your books from people and don't talk about your classes at all, it's very hard to hide anyway. Chances are if you are carrying around an organic chem book you are probably "premed" anyway.

When people asked me what my major was I replied biomedical engineering. If they asked what I want to do after I graduate, I would reply medical school: "Oh, so, you're, like, premed and stuff?"
"Um, like, I guess so?"

Either way the number of premeds left after junior year and the mcat results come back is a fraction of what it is in freshman science classes. And by halfway through senior year the only "premeds" left are those going on med school interviews. It doesn't matter anyway.

I don't understand why medically oriented people make such a big deal of this. Pre-laws dont do this. I have not once heard a prelaw flaunt that they want to be a lawyer or heard any stigma about being a prelaw, etc. It's not a big deal. "Oh so you're prelaw?"
"Yep"
"Cool, good luck with that"

And seriously, only the absolute dumbest B****, drunk or not, would be impressed by some dude bragging about being premed. Give me an effin' break. Those are the guys who DON'T get laid. If you're really out to get superficial, plastic women, wait until you have a private practice, then roll up to the expensive clubs in your benz with the platinum amex card in hand and go hog wild with the shallow women who will give you what you want in exchange for money. Damn that sounds kind of like classy, disguised prostitution...hmm. Well, whatever floats people's boat.

If this weren't true, all the frat guys majoring in business and expected to earn $28k out of college would not get as much a$$ as they do. :rolleyes:

And seriously, only the absolute dumbest B****, drunk or not, would be impressed by some dude bragging about being premed. Give me an effin' break. Those are the guys who DON'T get laid. If you're really out to get superficial, plastic women, wait until you have a private practice, then roll up to the expensive clubs in your benz with the platinum amex card in hand and go hog wild with the shallow women who will give you what you want in exchange for money. Damn that sounds kind of like classy, disguised prostitution...hmm. Well, whatever floats people's boat.

If this weren't true, all the frat guys majoring in business and expected to earn $28k out of college would not get as much a$$ as they do. :rolleyes:

Alot of the frat guys are jerkoffs that play women and 15% percent of them have herpesgonnasyphilis. Who can join a frat at my biga$$ D-1 School? ANYONE... Point being, the guys looking to get laid by easy chicks join frats and party like wild bores... Too many drinks = less brain cells and eventually amounts to ******... People are just full of them selves its funny...The real point of a fraternity is to drink till you colapse Friday through Sunday and be on call 24/7 for a$$ alert..Hell, I know some frat people that chug what they call "BREAKFAST BEER" every-morning and are timed...HAHA

It was a cold snowy winter of '98. I contemplated it for a month but finally decided to tell them. I went up to my father while he was watching television and declared to him that I was going pre-med. He immediately swore that he had no son and kicked me into the streets.

It was a cold snowy winter of '98. I contemplated it for a month but finally decided to tell them. I went up to my father while he was watching television and declared to him that I was going pre-med. He immediately swore that he had no son and kicked me into the streets.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: luv it

You ain't shizz until you are actually in med school!

Now that sounds like a far more interesting thread topic. Do expand if you please.

Not really that interesting. They would be sending me questions about symptoms and so forth all the time.

I'm the type of guy who likes to focus on the present. I eat what's on my plate first. Once I mention that I'm in med school, people think about the future--specialty choice, salary, adventure, etc.

It's not time for me to start thinking about that stuff. Gotta put one foot in front of the other. Right now, my primary concern is step 1 and step 1 only; and so far it's looking like the exam has nothing to do with being a good doctor. So for the time being, I shall remain "just a dude interested in medicine." If I can do well on step 1, then a lot of doors will open for me. If I focus on the clinical stuff and my future, I run the risk of taking my mind off of what needs to be important for me right now.

So for my parents, my barber, my out-of-town friends, the lady at the gas station, etc., I'm still just a med tech. It's true that medical school is something else that I do, but I'm not ready for that status to define me just yet.

My family decided long before I did that I was going to be pre-med. :laugh:

After deciding to not go to a conservatory and study music, and I picked a normal college, my parents decided that I would be pre-med because if I couldn't be a professional flautist then I would certainly have to be a doctor. I didn't catch up with their thinking until late in my junior year of college, though. I almost wish I hadn't told them, though, because they constantly hound me about med school apps. I haven't even applied yet and they're already driving me nuts.

And my friends really don't care that I'm pre-med or whatnot. I can honestly say the only reaction I ever get to that statement is "Ew. You like science? Ick."

anyone who is asked what they are studying and replies with "pre-med"
is a loser and a dork.

period

is a loser and a dork.

period

:cool:

Great avatar, BTW.

Darth Chef: And for dessert, how would you children like to suck on my chocolate salty balls?
Leader (mimicking children voice): Oh, you mean like a chocolate candy?
Darth Chef: No, I mean MY BALLS.

is a loser and a dork.

period

Ain't that the truth.

You don't study "pre-med." I have a degree in biology, and when asked, I say I studied biology. Only when people push you regarding post-college plans should you say pre-med. And even then a person should tread carefully....

from experience it tends to vary...some of your peers just won't care (because they either don't like you or they have no clue what it takes to become a doctor) and others will understand the endless studying and hard work we do, as well as respect the fact that we wish to be healers.

One thing though - I get a ton of respect from my immediate and extended family. When I went abroad to visit family and relatives they were all ecstatic that I was going to be a doctor and my dad feels proud to tell others "yes my son is going to be a doctor". One of my uncles even said he'll start looking for prospective brides for me :laugh:. Its a great feeling, especially knowing that your whole family isbacking you up 100%

Overall - I don't give a crap what so ever what my friends or peers think of my pre-med status - because in the end Its going to be my life, not theirs.

talk about pressure...

Like some of you, I personally don't want to be in the "pre-med" category. I think all it says is that I probably think I'm a big deal (and I'm not) and that I worry too much about school and am obsessed with med school (probably true :) ).

I always say I'm a micro bio major (or a nursing major when I was doing that), then they always ask what I will do after college, then I coyly say med school. In which case they respond with a "Go YOU" statment. This embarrasses me. When it comes to family/friends I actually avoid sharing my hopes of med school. I don't like failure or criticism, and I have a tad too much self doubt (trying to rid myself of it now).

I'm a college student with a dream and a goal, that's it.

Like some of you, I personally don't want to be in the "pre-med" category. I think all it says is that I probably think I'm a big deal (and I'm not) and that I worry too much about school and am obsessed with med school (probably true :) ).

I always say I'm a micro bio major (or a nursing major when I was doing that), then they always ask what I will do after college, then I coyly say med school. In which case they respond with a "Go YOU" statment. This embarrasses me. When it comes to family/friends I actually avoid sharing my hopes of med school. I don't like failure or criticism, and I have a tad too much self doubt (trying to rid myself of it now).

I'm a college student with a dream and a goal, that's it.

They are just jelous biat*s... When you crank out the degree they will be workin at chi chi's...When you make 200 grand they will be livin in a can...Of course you should have some pride... It shows you work hard and people get jelous.. Some people take an easier route and then bit*ch about this, about that, about your shoes, or whatever...While your in the books, someone else is playing computer games 24/7...You put yourself in a position to be the best you can be, and are one of the few... Say what you are with pride and if people make you feel like your stupid make them look like an a$$... For example (true story): A little fraternity dude was sitting behind me in class and asked me: dude, your a premed and you think your cool? Me: I think your a fool...

Of course you should have some pride...
...While your in the books, someone else is playing computer games 24/7...
true dat :D

They are just jelous biat*s... When you crank out the degree they will be workin at chi chi's...When you make 200 grand they will be livin in a can...Of course you should have some pride... It shows you work hard and people get jelous.. Some people take an easier route and then bit*ch about this, about that, about your shoes, or whatever...While your in the books, someone else is playing computer games 24/7...You put yourself in a position to be the best you can be, and are one of the few... Say what you are with pride and if people make you feel like your stupid make them look like an a$$... For example (true story): A little fraternity dude was sitting behind me in class and asked me: dude, your a premed and you think your cool? Me: I think your a fool...

My problem with people saying they are pre-med is that most pre-meds don't end up going to med school.....then you end up looking like an a$$ in front of everyone....for me, I wouldn't say what my intentions were unless I had an acceptance in hand.

My problem with people saying they are pre-med is that most pre-meds don't end up going to med school.....then you end up looking like an a$$ in front of everyone....for me, I wouldn't say what my intentions were unless I had an acceptance in hand.

I agree.... "For those that do it for bragging rights and don't have the intention to go are *****s." That's why the whole "Pre-Med" thing is kinda a joke.... 1000 pre-meds start and 10 prevail... Now for those that do attend to go and are dedicated enough, you can get in somewhere be it the U.S. or overseas...

I have a right to say that I am premed. All pre-medical students should be proud of their elite status. We should not be compared to common undergraduates, but be held at a higher level of both accountablity and responsibility.

I work extremely diligently for my grades, and maintain a 4.0 gpa, so I know that going to medical school will not be a problem for me.

Maybe for garbage applicants like yourself, it was a problem, so I could see your reluctance to declare that you are pre-med. A three time applicant would say something belittling as calling others dorks and losers, when in fact you are the loser. I am suprised you even got accepted to medical schoool and question the integrity and motive of any institution that would accept a 3 time applicant.

I have a right to say that I am premed. All pre-medical students should be proud of their elite status. We should not be compared to common undergraduates, but be held at a higher level of both accountablity and responsibility.

I work extremely diligently for my grades, and maintain a 4.0 gpa, so I know that going to medical school will not be a problem for me.

Maybe for garbage applicants like yourself, it was a problem, so I could see your reluctance to declare that you are pre-med. A three time applicant would say something belittling as calling others dorks and losers, when in fact you are the loser. I am suprised you even got accepted to medical schoool and question the integrity and motive of any institution that would accept a 3 time applicant.

And it's that jerk off attitude that will keep you out of medical school.

Dang. What's stuck up your rear today?

I'd rather have a three time applicant as MY doctor because then I know that they were in it the for the long haul and love what they do. I couldn't care less if my doctor had a 4.0 undergrad GPA if they were a total ass. Or loser, I dare say.

Edit: did you just join so you can pander that crap on an internet forum? How long have you been a member, 3 hours?

wow...don't know why you're taking a run at me, but I'm not going to respond to any of your smart little comments.

All pre-medical students should be proud of their elite status.

How 'bout you try keeping that ego of yours in check? There's nothing "elite" about being pre-med. I don't see how preparing for med school makes someone better than others who are preparing for law school, or an academic career, or a well-rounded life not based solely on prestige?

And remember: you're not really pre-med until you have an acceptance. Until then you're really just another prospective applicant. One of thousands, most of whom will not succeed. Props on your GPA, but do try to work on your attitude, and realize that nothing is guaranteed in med admissions.

I would call you a troll, but I sadly think that there are people that actually feel this way. :thumbdown: :( (closest emoticon to "dejection related to realizing a certain person may one day be a colleague")