At UT the first week we started using the Dent Sim to cut class I's on 19/20 and then Class II's on 18, 20.

After a month or so we started using the Kavo manequins as well and did the same preps as well as MOD's on 18/30.

The second semester we started doing complete cast crown preps on 19/30 and PFM rests on 8/19/30 as well as provisionals. We also started doing preps on 3/5/13/14 using indirect vision.

Is that pretty common at most schools or does the hands on part generally wait till later?

Dr. Pedo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
Visit site
Status
CJWolf said:
At UT the first week we started using the Dent Sim to cut class I's on 19/20 and then Class II's on 18, 20.

After a month or so we started using the Kavo manequins as well and did the same preps as well as MOD's on 18/30.

The second semester we started doing complete cast crown preps on 19/30 and PFM rests on 8/19/30 as well as provisionals. We also started doing preps on 3/5/13/14 using indirect vision.

Is that pretty common at most schools or does the hands on part generally wait till later?
That's the norm, at least in the midwest. We also saw our first pt. in the 1st year 2nd semester for a prophy. I can remember taking the health history for roughly 30mins :laugh:The sickle in the hands of D1s on live tissue bad news :eek:

OP

I was just curious about some of the Schools. I know UConn/Ole Miss and i think UAB don't get to do anything hands on until late spring since they're taking their classes with the med students.

EHA DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Wow, prophy in first year and patient Hx? That's amazing. Here at NYU we are doing Class I-V on typodonts, that's the extent of our hands on experience.