When did you start studying for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitlynnicole91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating next year with my bachelors from an accelerated program but I still need to finish the pre med pre reqs. I have bio done, but I still need chem, ochem, and physics. Is it too soon to start taking MCAT classes and studying the MCAT books? Also have any of you taken the MCAT before completing the pre med reqs? I know there's no such thing as studying too much or too soon in medicine but I just wanted to get a feel for when you guys started studying.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating next year with my bachelors from an accelerated program but I still need to finish the pre med pre reqs. I have bio done, but I still need chem, ochem, and physics. Is it too soon to start taking MCAT classes and studying the MCAT books? Also have any of you taken the MCAT before completing the pre med reqs? I know there's no such thing as studying too much or too soon in medicine but I just wanted to get a feel for when you guys started studying.

It's a waste of time to start prepping for the MCAT before you've finished the prereqs.

And there is ABSOLUTELY such a thing as studying too much or too soon, jesus christ. There are so many other worthwhile things to do with your life.

Start doing ECs now if you haven't. Try your best to learn the content in those remaining classes. Study 3-4 mints before mcat and you'll do well

Members don't see this ad :)
Your classes will dig into topics much deeper than MCAT requires. This is advantageous for you because deeper understanding can lead to better success.

Start doing ECs now if you haven't. Try your best to learn the content in those remaining classes. Study 3-4 mints before mcat and you'll do well

I assume this is supposed to say months. Reason why I'm making the distinction is that it could also seem like minutes. :laugh::laugh:

I started studying 2 months before because I had finals prior that prevented me from cracking open the books, and it's fine. It depends on how much time you're going to put in each day. Shoot for 3 months if you want to avoid that panic period that ensues about 5 weeks before the exam in my case. Basically, it takes 4 weeks to get through all of the material comfortably if you're reading 1.5 chapters a day (Princeton Review) and then the next 4 weeks you can brush up and take tests.

Some advice on the side, you should aim to take phys 2 the semester prior to the MCAT. It is built on a lot of the stuff you learned in phys one (conservation of energy, momentum, work) and even gen chem (particle physics and radiation) and will save you a lot of time staring at the physics and gen chem material.

Your classes will dig into topics much deeper than MCAT requires. This is advantageous for you because deeper understanding can lead to better success.

Definitely this. I think one of the best things for you to do now would be to look at the AAMC outlines for each subject and make sure that you fully understand those things when you learn them in your upcoming classes.

Also, you are going to get an extremely wide range of answers to this. Some people spend many many months. I took the MCAT this past June after graduating in late May. I wasn't able to start studying until June, but I was fortunate enough to have no other commitments at that time. I'm pretty sure it worked out okay (I can let you know for sure on Tuesday...). Different people learn differently and approach exams and test-taking differently. It's a personal thing that you are likely best equipped to answer.