When did you start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icalz

Don't poke the tiger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this, but only mcat topics came up. I begin med school in august and I'm hearing that some people are beginning their Step I prep right away (First Aid and other prep mats). That sounds a bit early to me, do most people begin prepping this early?

What's the normal time frame for begin to prep for Step I?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go back to the pre-med forum and come back in 2 years when you actually know what medical school is like. Anything you do now will only waste your time.

Obviously I've searched the pre-med forums, and the reason I'm asking on this forum is because I'd like to hear from people who've been there--not people speculating on what it's like.

If the boards are something that require very early prep then i would like to know, because I don't want to get behind from the very beginning--but I appreciate your attempt at helpfulness, if that's what you call it.

Go back to the pre-med forum and come back in 2 years when you actually know what medical school is like. Anything you do now will only waste your time.

What a d-bag. You obviously didn't read the guy/girls post and just looked at his/hers status as pre med (which they never updated to medical student).

To the OP, I'm a first year and all of the upperclassman have recommended getting first aid and just annotating it with parts that may pertain to our classes. This way when you begin studying for boards, you will have seen most of the chapters and will be familiar with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a solid plan, thanks!

What's funny is that I see Ableton prowling on the pre-med forums all the time :smuggrin:

I would actually wait til 2nd year to buy First aid, since that's when you can use majority of the book and you'll only be one edition behind rather than two if you buy it in M1. Of course, this ideology wouldn't be applicable if your school is systems-based.

As for when should you start studying for the boards? Your studying starts when you start medical school because you're learning all relevant material. True, its in more detail, but you're learning the same material. Focus on your course work, buy a review book or so for each of the subjects you'll be taking so you know that you've hit all the major points.

What a d-bag. You obviously didn't read the guy/girls post and just looked at his/hers status as pre med (which they never updated to medical student).

Or you can try reading the original post yourself. The OP begins medical school in August... as in NEXT August, 2010. I was simply advising against studying before even having started school.

What's funny is that I see Ableton prowling on the pre-med forums all the time :smuggrin:

Not really. I browse those forums occasionally to impart some advice. I'm not a pre-med and I don't obsess about every little thing I hear/read and how it will affect my future.

Last edited:
Or you can try reading the original post yourself. The OP begins medical school in August... as in NEXT August, 2010. I was simply advising against studying before even having started school.

Not really. I browse those forums occasionally to impart some advice. I'm not a pre-med and I don't obsess about every little thing I hear/read and how it will affect my future.

I apologize Ableton. I thought he was a current medical student and I thought you were just shafting him; I was wrong. I'm the d-bag. I read the post wrong (thought he said he started in august)

Yeah, are you serious OP? wtf! Enjoy your senior year. Ableton is not a d-bag, you are my friend. Once you are accepted, the only reason you should think about medical school before it starts would be the following: get financial aid straightened out, find a place to live. Any more than that and you are wasting your time.

Once again sorry Ableton (your response was warranted)

No, no, no...I never meant to imply that I was going to begin studying for the boards now; I'm not that inept. I'm just the type that likes to know what to do before I get there so that I'm not caught with my pants down (and bent over).

I did get the advice I needed, so thank you everyone. I honestly appreciate it (minus the grief).

I am in a similar situation as you...
That said, I will tell you what I have heard from countless people.
The fellow I work with at the hospital told me to start early for Step 1.
My cousin who is in third year said to wait because you might forget the material if you start early.
A doctor that I work with told me to read review books as you go along with the class that way you get two birds with one stone. The problem with this is maintaining a balance between med school workload and personal life (if you have any, during the time).
My friends that are currently in medical school have told me to start Anatomy early...if you have time.

Moral of the story...there is no correct recommendation, do as you see fit...If you need the break from undergrad workload or post-bac work then relax....If you feel you can tackle some anatomy...then do it...listen to your gut instinct.

:)

I am in a similar situation as you...
. . . My friends that are currently in medical school have told me to start Anatomy early...if you have time.

Moral of the story...there is no correct recommendation, do as you see fit...If you need the break from undergrad workload or post-bac work then relax....If you feel you can tackle some anatomy...then do it...listen to your gut instinct.

:)

This sounds like good advice to me.

Its funny how all the med students esp MS1's right now think everyone is nuts for asking all these questions esp when its so far away when we begin. C'mon think back to before you started (when I'm sure now you realized wow its a lot of work i coulda not obsessed as much). But for us MS-0.5's... we're still excited. lol

holy crap Class of 2014....sounds so far away yet it's hard to believe it's almost 2010.

As far as going for board studying is...you can never start too early. However the caveat is, how useful is the time spent studying? It can never heard to mastery anatomy now before starting med school so you rock when everyone else is struggling with muscles and nerves but is it worth your time?

However, like a previous post said, annotating First Aid is not a bad idea, but you'll find that an over annotated First Aid, defeats the purpose of a "high yield review source."

My recommendation is this: figure out what review books are best for different subjects. Ask med school buddies on what they found was helpful. Invest in some good review books (i would say no more than 2 a class) and go from there. Good luck.

buy the First Aid on your first year, read it before each block, use it for NBMEs, annotate it with your own notes...