When do dental students usually take the national board part I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inthezone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do dental students usually take the national board part I?

After year one? or after year two? Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe most take it between the middle and end of D2 (Dec-Summer). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The time period during which people take Part I vary much more than Part II. In my class there were those who took it at the end of the first year and those that took it at the end of the third year when Student Affairs pretty much forced them to. In my opinion, the best time is to take it at the end of year 2 when you have all of your didactic material. However, with the Part I becoming strictly P/F and the fact that one can miss a boatload of questions and still pass (I did a check once and found that you can miss something like 160 of the 400 questions and still pass), I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just put in 4-6 good weeks of studying, take it, and the test shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
[quote="Shunwei, post: 14835842, member: 152070"(I did a check once and found that you can miss something like 160 of the 400 questions and still pass)[/quote]

It's graded on a t-score curve I believe. So your pass/fail depends not only on your raw score, but the raw score of the collective, which are then curved accordingly. I could be wrong about this, but this is what I was told. Some professors used this as a basis to start grading their tests this way at my school. I made an 88 on a test in a hard science class and another girl made a 50; t-curve bumped me to 99... She improved all the way to 80. 11 point curve vs. 30 point curve. Kinda ridiculous...

I'm not a huge fan of the P/F boards; I get that the old system didn't really differentiate statistically people who scored over a certain threshold, but a simple score-adjusted pass is a little ridiculous. I could have basically skipped the first two years of dental school and just memorized DentalDecks instead for Part 1.