When do medical school prerequisites need to be completed by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're all good. You just need to complete the pre-req (with a C or better) before matriculating

Reactions: 1 users
As above.

You should complete as many of your pre-reqs as possible prior to applying. However, having a couple that you still plan to take in spring of your senior year will not be a problem. I didn't finish my Org Chem II until the spring term, mostly because of scheduling issues. As long as it all gets done by the school's deadline for sending in final transcripts, you are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before you matriculate. Some schools may require at least a certain portion of the requirements be completed prior to application, but the completion of all prerequisites my occur prior to matriculation. If you have some left to complete after you apply, you must have a plan in mind to complete them.

There are a small number of schools requiring that prerequisites be completed before application or before January of the application year. Simply avoid those, if they require two semesters of Calculus. Even for these few, exceptions are known to have been made to the "rule."

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with all the above, but out of curiosity, which schools require 2 semesters of calculus? Every school on my extensive list either didn't care about Math or allowed stats/quant reason to count towards Math. Does your requirement HAVE to be calculus per se?

Agree with all the above, but out of curiosity, which schools require 2 semesters of calculus? Every school on my extensive list either didn't care about Math or allowed stats/quant reason to count towards Math. Does your requirement HAVE to be calculus per se?

Washington, Harvard and JHU used to be the ones famous for the 2 semester Calc requirement. I know JHU has since ditched it. It's possible Washington and Harvard simply allow 2 semesters of math now which can include stats. I don't know of any other schools that have required 2 semesters of Calc in the past(doesnt mean they dont exist though necessairly).

As for the OP there are a few schools that require pre-reqs to be completed before the application or the fall semester before(Temple comes to mind). But they are by and large in the minority and I don't think they are schools that require Calc II. All in all it's not worth worrying about.

Washington, Harvard and JHU used to be the ones famous for the 2 semester Calc requirement. I know JHU has since ditched it. It's possible Washington and Harvard simply allow 2 semesters of math now which can include stats. I don't know of any other schools that have required 2 semesters of Calc in the past(doesnt mean they dont exist though necessairly).

As for the OP there are a few schools that require pre-reqs to be completed before the application or the fall semester before(Temple comes to mind). But they are by and large in the minority and I don't think they are schools that require Calc II. All in all it's not worth worrying about.

Harvard is not rigid anymore in these requirements:

"Flexibility will be welcome in meeting these requirements (e.g., a semester course in calculus that covers derivatives and integration and a semester course in statistics; a calculus-based physics course and another science course that includes a firm grounding in biostatistics; or, preferably, a unified two-semester course that covers important, biologically relevant concepts in calculus and statistics)."

http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/admissions/applying/requirements-admission

Reactions: 1 user