When do medical students stop being so pretentious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YOU'RE ABSOLUTE POSITIVELY RIGHT. :scared:😱🙄😍:luck::soexcited:

as a result and in order to follow your advice I decided to use emoticons that were very very much not relevant at all :meanie::meanie::meanie:

i hope you get the hidden joke here. or I'll have to put you in MY COOL list.

LOL...fixed! :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
those guys are n00bs... I got home an hour ago and I'm still wearing my white coat and stethoscope so I can tell people on SDN about it. 😎
That was so last year. I wear mine in the shower and to bed. That way if the house catches on fire or I suddenly stroke out, the paramedics will know that I am a doctor to be and they better watch their ****.
 
I definitely wear my scrubs out and about running errands on my way home from the hospital. Sometimes I barely have enough time to hit the grocery store before it closes, I'm certainly not going to change so some M1 doesn't think I'm pretentious (the horror). I frequently wear scrubs to study in because they are the only thing that's both clean and not dress clothes. Once I even wore my white coat into a grocery store because I forgot to put my spare purse in the car (for moments like this one) and my pants had no pockets so I needed somewhere to keep my phone/wallet/keys while I shopped. Screw what other people think of you, at some point you'll be too busy to care.

There are of course moments when I chuckle at someone who chooses to wear their white coat into the starbucks to study or wears their steth into the grocery store but really its no more than a passing chuckle, I can't imagine getting my panties in a wad over something so trivial.
 
I definitely wear my scrubs out and about running errands on my way home from the hospital. Sometimes I barely have enough time to hit the grocery store before it closes, I'm certainly not going to change so some M1 doesn't think I'm pretentious (the horror). I frequently wear scrubs to study in because they are the only thing that's both clean and not dress clothes. Once I even wore my white coat into a grocery store because I forgot to put my spare purse in the car (for moments like this one) and my pants had no pockets so I needed somewhere to keep my phone/wallet/keys while I shopped. Screw what other people think of you, at some point you'll be too busy to care.

There are of course moments when I chuckle at someone who chooses to wear their white coat into the starbucks to study or wears their steth into the grocery store but really its no more than a passing chuckle, I can't imagine getting my panties in a wad over something so trivial.


lol, hypocrite.

I like that your defense is that "some MSI is getting their panties in a wad." Yes, taking 45 seconds to create a thread on SDN about a pet peeve is really getting my panties in a bunch🙄
 
I definitely wear my scrubs out and about running errands on my way home from the hospital. Sometimes I barely have enough time to hit the grocery store before it closes, I'm certainly not going to change so some M1 doesn't think I'm pretentious (the horror). I frequently wear scrubs to study in because they are the only thing that's both clean and not dress clothes. Once I even wore my white coat into a grocery store because I forgot to put my spare purse in the car (for moments like this one) and my pants had no pockets so I needed somewhere to keep my phone/wallet/keys while I shopped. Screw what other people think of you, at some point you'll be too busy to care.

There are of course moments when I chuckle at someone who chooses to wear their white coat into the starbucks to study or wears their steth into the grocery store but really its no more than a passing chuckle, I can't imagine getting my panties in a wad over something so trivial.

When I was on my surgery rotation, my roommate and I stopped by the grocery store on our way back home. We were both in scrubs, absolute zombies, just wanting to grab our stuff and get home.

This lady was staring at me... after a few minutes she comes up to me.

Her: "It's so reassuring to know that there are doctors here in the store."

Me: "Ah, well, uh thanks"

*she comes back up to me at the checkout*

Her: "You know that epidemic... we should just close off all the boarders for those countries with (insert racial epithet for Asians here)".

Me: "I see"
​

I swear, I just wanted groceries.
 
Fail. Do you think I really would resort to petty crap like that? give me a break. Also, there are no threads similar to this one on the first three pages of Allo, so I'm not sure what your complaint is. And no, you don't need to do a search to find old ones.

To others, this isn't something I lose sleep over as many try to make it out to be it. It's simply a mere observation of something that I think is ridiculous.

It's not the people who do this stuff because it's convenient. The ridiculous people are the ones who go out of their way to display their status (as Cheb pointed out.)

Im with you. Some folks need to grow up and get over themselves.
 
I'm just curious, because I'm tired of seeing all of the first years in anatomy wear their scrubs everywhere (I really hope they're clean when I see them in local stores/car/etc) and tired of seeing second years wear their stethoscopes around their necks and white coats everywhere.

Contrary to popular belief if you have a 30-45 minute car ride to the hospital/Dr's office to shadow (where you will need your white coat) you don't need to wear it while you sit in your last hour of lecture, walk to your car, drive, stop at wawa/gas/dunkin donuts, etc. You can put it on in the parking lot of the place you're going to :idea:. And you can even leave in your car while you're in class all day! (Double :idea:!)

Also if you have a physical exam workshop where you're learning the cardiac exam, you don't need to take your stethoscope out of the box that's in your bookbag and wear it around your neck all during lunch. You won't be using it for over an hour and half later.

I haven't experienced third or fourth year yet, please tell me things go up from here?
When they fail at something, and their inflated self-image crumbles.
 
I can't stand wearing my whitecoat, and only time I'm in scrubs in public is if I have to stop by the grocery store on the way home from a shift.

Never had the desire to do that during first two years, though we had a dress code and had to be in professional dress when on campus during the day. Some still sported the scrubs at night when studying in the library but I could have cared less what they did.

First year or so I'm sure they'll still excited about being in med school and want to show it off little, even if it is a little over the top and ridiculous looking. On my last rotation I kept getting asked by strangers for directions as I was walking in from the parking garage that I wish I didn't have on scrubs and a white coat. Not too mention these coats are way to hot.

Totally agreed with every word u spilled !
 
When I was on my surgery rotation, my roommate and I stopped by the grocery store on our way back home. We were both in scrubs, absolute zombies, just wanting to grab our stuff and get home.

This lady was staring at me... after a few minutes she comes up to me.

Her: "It's so reassuring to know that there are doctors here in the store."

Me: "Ah, well, uh thanks"

*she comes back up to me at the checkout*

Her: "You know that epidemic... we should just close off all the boarders for those countries with (insert racial epithet for Asians here)".

Me: "I see"
​

I swear, I just wanted groceries.

HAHAHA...totally off topic, but from your previous posts I know you go to med school in Ohio - as an Asian who grew up in Ohio, this amuses me to no end - somewhat sad it still happens in this day in age, but I definitely got my fair share of ethnic, um, discrimination in high school (not in my school or community, but within the general environment of the Heart of it All)
 
Irony. . . .desferoxamine :laugh:
Good one. :laugh:

First year or so I'm sure they'll still excited about being in med school and want to show it off little, even if it is a little over the top and ridiculous looking.
Exactly. People work hard to get into med school, and they're proud of that accomplishment. Why shouldn't they be? It's easy to take getting into med school for granted when you and everyone who is now around you is living the med school life.

When I see the new first years wearing their white coats and stethoscopes everywhere, it does make me laugh a little, but not in a mean way. It's because they remind me of how excited I felt when I was a new first year too. It's too bad that a lot of that excitement goes away after a while. Like others have already pointed out, it's not fun to wear a student white coat when you're a third or fourth year. It's not fun to carry a pager when people page you in the middle of the night to make you do some kind of scut. It's not fun to wear your stethoscope around your neck after you've listened to your eight zillionth patient take a deep breath. But it's fun to do all of those things when you're a first year. So if anything, I think that first years should enjoy their new toys (within reason) while they still can. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just curious, because I'm tired of seeing all of the first years in anatomy wear their scrubs everywhere (I really hope they're clean when I see them in local stores/car/etc) and tired of seeing second years wear their stethoscopes around their necks and white coats everywhere.

Contrary to popular belief if you have a 30-45 minute car ride to the hospital/Dr's office to shadow (where you will need your white coat) you don't need to wear it while you sit in your last hour of lecture, walk to your car, drive, stop at wawa/gas/dunkin donuts, etc. You can put it on in the parking lot of the place you're going to :idea:. And you can even leave in your car while you're in class all day! (Double :idea:!)

Also if you have a physical exam workshop where you're learning the cardiac exam, you don't need to take your stethoscope out of the box that's in your bookbag and wear it around your neck all during lunch. You won't be using it for over an hour and half later.

Ah, well. It is excessive, but not unexpected. For most, I don't think it's out of frank pretentiousness. I think pre-clinical students are just overzealous and want to show their pride and excitement, as others have mentioned. That's normal, in my opinion. As a kid, did you ever want to be a fireman or something and wear your play fireman gear everywhere? It looks silly, but one can only chuckle in empathy. When most pre-clinical students wear their gear, sometimes in inappropriate places, it is funny. They often look silly to me, like they are wearing play gear.

During my first two years, I was forced to wear scrubs to school, since it was part of my dress code. I didn't like it at first, but then I got used to it. After a while, I got lazy and didn't feel like changing my clothes all the time when I knew I would be going back to the anatomy lab for a long night, or was just too tired after a long day at school, so sometimes I'd go out on errands with my scrubs still on. It was hardly out of pretentiousness, I assure you. And I hated to wear my white coat and I wouldn't unless I was directed to. To me, it was like wearing something that was a couple sizes to large for me. I would need to grow into it.

I haven't experienced third or fourth year yet, please tell me things go up from here?

I can tell you from my perspective. If anything, third year is anything but pretentious. Most will feel more humble than ever. You begin to realize the extent of how much you actually DON'T know and how much you have to learn. You don't quite know how you can fit in on the team, so sometimes you can even feel useless. The pimping and long hours will pretty much humble most people very quickly. When I wear my white coat now, it feels heavy on my shoulders, because of the increased responsibility and I don't like it when patients confuse me all the time for a real doctor and even though I make efforts to correct them, for some reason white coat = doctor, no matter what I say. It makes me feel very uneasy. I don't like to wear my white coat out anywhere, except at work. I never did. However, now, it's more because I use it like a real lab coat. I still wear scrubs everywhere around the hospital because for my current rotation I assist with deliveries and surgeries often. I don't hate my pager, but hearing it go off sometimes brings a pang of fear.

I know that some find third year to be somewhat disparaging. I find third year to be very fun and exciting. This is why I chose medicine years ago and finally I am beginning to get my feet wet. I try to do as much as I can, even though as a medical student in clinical rotations, you can't do much. Sometimes, however, you can actually do something that really helps out the team, or a patient and you feel good. Those times stick out for me much more vividly than the profound lack of sleep and the endless pimping (which actually isn't so bad, because it helps you learn).
 
I act polite but frank to them that:
1- When I was a student I wasn't able to do much of anything that's "fun" either
2- If they want to do the cool stuff, go ask their class supervisors to let them do voluntary call weekends and during the middle of the night where they will be able to do cool things because there's less staff and more work.
3- I tell them to top it off, they aren't the suckers that are going to have to do the paperwork.


You're still a student. You also display more conceit and condescension towards medical students than anyone I've ever met; especially ironic since you are in fact still a student yourself and are only one year removed from the "childishness" you so frequently condemn.
 
When they fail at something, and their inflated self-image crumbles.

This has been telling this year already. Strangely, when the Honor's grade they expected turns out to be barely a Pass, 1st-year ortho-wannabes realize they aren't the biggest fish in the sea.....
 
the irony for me is that when I run an errand after class wearing (clean) scrubs, nobody thinks I'm a medical student, they just assume I'm a nurse.

I swear I only wear them because it would be foolish to drive all the way home and then back to the store just to change clothes. it's not because I think people will be impressed with my $20 set of dickies scrubs.

and my stethoscope stays in my pocket...wouldn't want anybody to think I actually know how to use the darn thing! :laugh:
 
the irony for me is that when I run an errand after class wearing (clean) scrubs, nobody thinks I'm a medical student, they just assume I'm a nurse.

Unless 3 of you go to brunch in your scrubs, crocs, and badge. We have an anatomy test tomorrow, and 3 of left the lab for a quick bite to eat. It was epic, we had chicks dancing on the table for us.. We were that hot.
 
wow, here in Australia we don't even wear white coats.

Who gives a rat ass. Lab techs wear lab coats too y'know.
 
Last edited:
Sigh!!!...I miss WAWA! Who cares about other med students...all I want is some WAWA in my life...:cry::cry:

Damn La Jolla is too pretentious to have any real 24hr convenience stores...

Dude your enormous sig file gets in the way of reading a thread.
 
From a non-trad and a RN no less, I found this whole thread from start to finish to be quite humorous.

All I can say is that kind of stuff gets old fast.

Personally I hate wearing my Littman around my neck. I will say though that I've had more that a few stolen. I worked in cardio, CT, critical care. Put the money out for nice Cardiology Littman Stethoscopes only to have them stolen. So, it might be some people wear them around their necks when they don't need to b/c they don't want them ripped off. A very real possiblity to which I have just given testimony.

BTW, it doesn't seem like it would be a heavy load around your neck, but after 12 hours, it does start to bother you.

I get hot easily, so lab jackets come off quickly, especially when busy. The best thing about a lab coat is the deep pockets, period.


I especially found the comment about wearing the lab coat to the bar quite humorous. During happy hour, you will stand out like a sore thumb amidst all the lawyer suits.
 
the attention-seekers think it's cool to walk around in a white coat and/or scrubs... but some might actually do it because scrubs are comfortable. it's hard to know the reason unless you know their personalities.

some med students have attention-seeking personalities, just like the general population. you can probably learn something about personality disorders and psychiatry by observing them.

in <b><i>general</i></b>, medical students are socially inept beings that have been sheltered for the majority of their life so they wouldn't get distracted while trying to get into medical school. maybe thats why you see this childish behavior, who knows.

those students are likely some of the 1st and 2nd year students who think its cool to walk around in white coats and scrubs.

then they become the 3rd and 4th year students who think its cool to be "on-call" which is a load of crap. residents are "on-call". med students are just along for the ride, but some wish they could actually be on-call.

so if you know their personalities, then you'll have a better idea of why they do what they do.

but like others have said, who cares. my opinion?

don't worry about other people unless it affects you. stay out of other people's affairs, and concentrate on yourself.

🙂
 
Who wears their stethoscope around their neck? Leave it in your pocket. Why do you think you have so many pockets? The only time I have it around my neck is after I listen to the heart and lungs and then I'm going to listen to bowel sounds or something and have to do something else in between. Then after I finish the exam it goes back in my pocket.

As for wearing the white coat as an M1 I have no idea why they would do that other than simple exuberance. M3s/M4s would do it on the way home or way to the hospital because it's freezing and I didn't want to bring my winter jacket to the hospital because it would require me to put it in my locker and lose an extra 10 minutes of sleep. The white coat plus all of the extra garbage we carry around helps against the wind going under your scrub top.
 
cute avatar tmp.

Nah, it's too hot when you get busy running around to always have the lab coat on. When you are actually running from one problem to the next, you just can't keep the coat on all the time; but where I work, yes you will need a stethoscope. If you are OK with dying under the lab coat--yep it's more comfortable to put the scope in your pocket. Really most people (docs or nurses) in my area take off their lab coasts and hang them on a hook or door or somewhere in the pt room or bay when they have to get down to dealing with clinical problems w/ a pt--say putting in a line or whatever. So in instances like that, around your neck may be more practical and a safer thing in terms of not losing the darn thing or having it five fingered.

One thing I've learned from working in the hospitals over the years is this. Anything that is not bolted down and cemented in place will get stolen. Shoot in some places, even then stuff walks. In some inner city pediatric/neonatal units even the darn baby diaper scales that have been bolted down have gotten stolen--repeatedly. Visitors or even some parents take them to weigh drugs. Seriously.

I agree about shrugging off the pretentious thing though. Who cares? It will all pass soon enough--sort of like the thrill of driving--or even the new car smell. I don't think everyone is wearing scrubs just to wear the scrubs--except maybe kids on Halloween. Scrubs are lightweight and can be downright comfortable--especially if they are more cotton than polyester. As one of my nursing colleagues used to say, "This is one of the few professions where you can actually go to work in lounge pajamas."

I don't care what anyone wears so long as it is clean. Geez where I live, even the kids go out shopping or to the Wawa in their flannel pjs. It would bug me to do that, b/c I am strange about stuff like that. Call me crazy, but I don't like to bring extra microbes from public places into my bed and bedding. LOL. Just a bit of Monk there.

I also do feel a little let down by the move towards dress casual. I miss seeing men in suits--at least a little more than once in a while. Yea. I can see where ties are uncomfortable; but it's so rare to see men with them on anymore in many places of business. It's nice to see; but I don't think people should have to be 'monkeyed' up every day for work either.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah...we have a camp of "I love to wear my scubs and white coat at all times!" students. Most of them probably do it to avoid having to change on preceptor days, but one or two of them consistently wear scrubs and white coats to class even when they are going absolutely nowhere near the clinic that day.

It seriously boggles my mind. Yes, getting into medical school is something to be proud of...but if you wear your white coat on the metro while looking around to see who is noticing you, I have to wonder exactly why you need that kind of validation from someone else. Especially when it's validation and respect you haven't exactly earned yet.

I understand the people who say live and let live, but personally, I don't find this any different than the premed who runs around telling everyone that someday he's going to get into Harvard med and be an unrivaled bada**. It's just douchy.
 
Yeah...we have a camp of "I love to wear my scubs and white coat at all times!" students. Most of them probably do it to avoid having to change on preceptor days, but one or two of them consistently wear scrubs and white coats to class even when they are going absolutely nowhere near the clinic that day.

It seriously boggles my mind. Yes, getting into medical school is something to be proud of...but if you wear your white coat on the metro while looking around to see who is noticing you, I have to wonder exactly why you need that kind of validation from someone else. Especially when it's validation and respect you haven't exactly earned yet.

I understand the people who say live and let live, but personally, I don't find this any different than the premed who runs around telling everyone that someday he's going to get into Harvard med and be an unrivaled bada**. It's just douchy.


LOL
But how can you really stop people from that behavior? 🙂 I won't use your word; since I'm a woman, and lol, I take umbrage to it. 😱
 
I can't imagine wearing scrubs outside of the hospital. I show up in my normal jeans and t-shirt, change into hospital scrubs, then spend my day around people coughing up H1N1 and oozing MRSA. At the end of the day, the hospital scrubs go into a hamper and the hospital laundry folks sterilize that shizzle so it doesn't grub up my washing machine. 😀
Then, I put on my own, clean clothes, and do my errands or whatever before heading home.

At my school, it is really frowned upon to be seen in your scrubs outside of the hospital (infection control purposes). In some schools, you can actually face academic discipline if you're found outside the hospital in scrubs. 😱

Lots of the M3s and M4s wear the white coats, but a lot also don't. I hate the thing (I mean really, you drag the sleeves all over each patient, and if you're really good you wash it weekly. Gross.). I usually bring it for the first day of a rotation in case the preceptor feels strongly that MSI's should wear it, but it's almost never an issue. I really, really hope the same holds true when I start residency next year, 'cuz the coats are even bigger!

However, because I don't wear a coat, my stethoscope is often around my neck. I don't think whether or not you wear the coat, or where you keep your stethoscope, is an issue. I do think that if you wear scrubs outside the hospital, you're probably spreading germs and hoping that someone, ANYONE, will ask you if you're a doctor. :laugh: In reality, they'll probably assume you're a vet tech.
 
I once saw a pharmacy student rocking his white coat at a hibachi restaurant where I work.... They should just institute a national holiday for all white coat professions, that way we we can all have one day to get it out of our systems and not feel bad 🙂
 
I wore my scrubs to a 3 pm class after being in ITU the whole morning. The only reason I didn't change was because I didn't want to waste ten mins doing so. Got some comments from classmates "hey have you just come straight from the OR?" but other than that I couldn't give a damn what anyone thinks about people wearing scrubs/steth. It's a complete non-issue.
 
lol, hypocrite.

I like that your defense is that "some MSI is getting their panties in a wad." Yes, taking 45 seconds to create a thread on SDN about a pet peeve is really getting my panties in a bunch🙄

Ehh, panties wadded is on the more benign end of the pissed off scale, for me I don't hop onto SDN and create a thread unless I'm at least at panties in a wad stage but to each their own. If you want to create threads over things that slightly ruffle your feathers than go for it by all means.
 
Oh wups haha my bad man I didnt mean to steal your thunder! I just never bothered to click on your link! My apologies everyone!
 
I've only seen scrubs worn as pjs. So, it is usually scrub pants with a sweatshirt or something.

I've never seen anyone wear their white coat anywhere. We just leave ours hungup in our learning communities at school though.