when do most em residencies start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuaerensIntelle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but do most residencies start July 1st or 2 weeks earlier like other residencies? I have this pipe dream that the 1 month of orientation might bypass the usual early start. I'm daydreaming about doing some kind of international travel between graduation and start of residency that may or may not be realistic.

Another dumb question, but when did you get your first paycheck?

Members don't see this ad.

July 1st baby! Be ready! They might have a 1 week orientation first. As for paychecks for me it was biweekly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under impression that most schools graduate in late May/early June, with nearly all residency programs starting up in July...leaving month of June.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Varies from hospital to hospital, but usually from the end of June to July 1. Be careful about leaving the country as there are invariably forms and drug tests that need to be done.

disagree with responses thus far.

most programs i'm aware of (from my experience and friends who matched in EM) start around the middle of June.

you start WORKING july 1 but before you can work you gotta get your merit badges (acls, pals, atls) do hospital orientation, program orientation, mountains of paperwork, etc.

disagree with responses thus far.

most programs i'm aware of (from my experience and friends who matched in EM) start around the middle of June.

you start WORKING july 1 but before you can work you gotta get your merit badges (acls, pals, atls) do hospital orientation, program orientation, mountains of paperwork, etc.
Agree. Now you can shorten your orientation crap and show up later if you do ACLS, PALS, ATLS, NRP early and have a card proving certification but I would plan to be available about June 20th at the latest.

June. I had all kinds of plans for a July start as an MS4 but started mid-June. This first week of July thing is over played. Worked 4th of July with the other chumps. This is our future so embrace it.

Is it a bad idea to get married June 1st?

I was wondering if I should move up my wedding date to spend more time with the future Mrs. Virus. I thought we would have a whole month off, but this thread is making me think twice.

Basically, do most programs really start before July 1st, or is this a rare occurrence?

This. QFT.

You're probably fine to get married June 1. I got married June 18 bc I thought I didn't start to till July first. What young, nieve lad I was. I had to reschedule ACLS and PALS because of it.

Again, depends on the hospital. Some will tell you to get ACLS et al on your own before you start. My program made us all take ACLS together as a part of orientation month. Even those of us who had already taken it had to re-take so that we could all be trained together.