When do schools have to give you a final status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused48

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a date by which schools must tell you your final status? I am specifically referring to applicants put on post-interview hold. It seems that a yes, no, or you are on the waitlist would be appropriate at some point. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a date by which schools must tell you your final status? I am specifically referring to applicants put on post-interview hold. It seems that a yes, no, or you are on the waitlist would be appropriate at some point. Thanks

I believe it's by May 15th, since at that point you can only hold one acceptance.

No, the May 15 date is for us, not them. I think basically schools could keep you hanging indefinitely. Perhaps them informing us of rejections is merely a courtesy. I would guess July at the latest. The May 15 date is when we have to tell schools we won't be attending (only holding one acceptance - can still remain on waitlists).

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the May 15 date is for us, not them. I think basically schools could keep you hanging indefinitely. Perhaps them informing us of rejections is merely a courtesy. I would guess July at the latest. The May 15 date is when we have to tell schools we won't be attending (only holding one acceptance - can still remain on waitlists).

i still haven't officially heard from one of the schools that waitlisted me last february.

i still haven't officially heard from one of the schools that waitlisted me last february.

You can even learn of being taken off the wait list the day before classes start. It happened to a friend of mine - she started classes at a DO school only to learn a few days later that she was admitted to an MD program. She stayed at a DO school.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I was specifically referring to those schools that put students in the "hold"category before finally making a waitlist, e.g. Case

You can even learn of being taken off the wait list the day before classes start. It happened to a friend of mine - she started classes at a DO school only to learn a few days later that she was admitted to an MD program. She stayed at a DO school.

so that's double the amount of pre orientation partying:D

I also have friends who were accepted the week prior to classes starting. Schools can keep an active waitlist up to the first day of classes. Sometimes people just don't show up to orientation, and, once schools confirm that they aren't showing, they will call people. Good luck. I'm waiting too.

is there a date by when schools send out most of their acceptances? i think i heard April

is there a date by when schools send out most of their acceptances? i think i heard April

Haven't the majority of rolling schools given out the majority of acceptances? Other non-rolling schools will send them all out by the end of March.

In the Penn thread (I think) someone quoted AAMC rules that schools have to have accepted at least one "class" worth of people by March 30.

I think AAMC wants their schools to have preliminary class-lists by March 15... then May 15th, the rosters are quasi-finalized, with the exception of people who are willing to lose 100 dollars. So i guess if you haven't heard by March 15, there's still hope of getting off the waitlist. After May 15th it's all but a done deal, or so I was told by an interviewer at a U.S. MD school.

I think AAMC wants their schools to have preliminary class-lists by March 15... then May 15th, the rosters are quasi-finalized, with the exception of people who are willing to lose 100 dollars. So i guess if you haven't heard by March 15, there's still hope of getting off the waitlist. After May 15th it's all but a done deal, or so I was told by an interviewer at a U.S. MD school.

I could be misreading this post, but actually most waitlist candidates will not hear anything until after May 15th so it isn't actually a done deal until you have begun your orientation at another medical school. After may 15th, candidates holding acceptances at multiple places will have to give them up at which point either enough people will accept to fill a class or if not they then move to the waitlist.
quoted from 2007 MSAR: " once orientation periods have begun, students can no longer accept admission offers from other schools and should withdraw their names from all waiting lists."

Done deal (acceptance, waitlist, rejection), but after May 15 is when it gets interesting with tons of waitlist movement...

Yes, by May 15th they have to tell you SOMETHING, i believe, though that something may be "waitlist."

I could be misreading this post, but actually most waitlist candidates will not hear anything until after May 15th so it isn't actually a done deal until you have begun your orientation at another medical school. After may 15th, candidates holding acceptances at multiple places will have to give them up at which point either enough people will accept to fill a class or if not they then move to the waitlist.
quoted from 2007 MSAR: " once orientation periods have begun, students can no longer accept admission offers from other schools and should withdraw their names from all waiting lists."

The interviewer did say that they DO accept people (at that school) between March and May. I assumed it was off the waitlist. I guess it could be both off the waitlist and just a straight up acceptance after interviewing? True, its not a done deal till you've already started orientation somewhere, but for someone that hasn't gotten in anywhere, there are sometimes 1 or 2 people who free up spots at schools after 5/15, but before orientations start...

Done deal (acceptance, waitlist, rejection), but after May 15 is when it gets interesting with tons of waitlist movement...

The interviewer i mentioned said there is a "flurry" off acceptances right around march 15, and then another "flurry" in the first 2 weeks of may. other than that, he said that it's relatively quiet, with a handful of new acceptances. This obviously applies just to that particular school...maybe they don't have too much waitlist movement?