When do we get financial aid and loan money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spin

me right round baby
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is loan and financial aid money actually available for med students to use? For example, if my med school orientation starts on July 27th, I'll want to move into my apartment around July 15, and I'll have to drop some cash to sign the lease before that. I'm pretty much broke, and my parents can't help out at all. (I have a job, but I have to use most of the money to pay for my current living expenses.)

Will the money be available in time for me to sign a lease and move in a week or two before classes? Will I have to wait until the first day of orientation and do everything at the last minute? Some time in-between?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as money goes. The summer they are very lenient and the loans come out like 2 or 3 weeks into school I think. Many people are really struggling till then and usually have the help of parents or savings for the rent part of the equation. They will go through and breakdown financial stuff during orientation, which after the first day is one of the most painful experiences of your life.

The money given more than covers the cost. You can also avoid buying that stupid doctoring kit which seems awesome until you realize you dropped 1000 dollars on something that you use twice, excluding the stethoscope. Money is allocated for books, but not everyone gets them. I'm actually going to write a long email to the class of 2014 during orientation about books and my recommendations when the time comes.

I found this on last year's FSU thread. 2-3 weeks with no loan money?! I guess I'm gonna have to start begging my friends for money for my initial deposit when I sign my lease.

Use CCs temporarily. Otherwise you'll have to borrow money from someone to pay off things like rent.

Credit cards -- that's a good idea. I think I'm eligible for an increased credit limit too. :thumbup: