When do we get our first exposure to Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was going through School Curriculum and depending on different schools some have clinicals from 3rd year and some from second semester in 2nd year.

During my BS in Clinical lab sciences. Even though our clinicals were supposed to be scheduled in 4th year but right from 1st year we were involved with the subject in form of case studies, examples, tours,etc.

I was wondering whether as freshman do we just take only Biomedical class sciences straight. Or we may find like application of those classes during our tests in form of case studies.

Well wat i mean is, Are first year and some second year Biomedical science classes just plain simple biomedical classes like University classes which just teach straight forward subject. or they are like interwined with podiatry cases and examples from them.

I mean do we start getting exposure to podiatry right from 1st year or the first two years are just basic hard science with not much podiatry involved and we get our first real exposyre in 3rd year when our clinicals start?

Members don't see this ad.

Following my first year, I can tell you, that the courses are geared very strongly to just science. The profs make references to feet whenever they can, but not often. We did have an intro to Pod course first semester though. It was one credit. Also, we had one of the Pod clinicians give one lecture in nearly every course about foot pathology, diagnosis, etc. Other than that, it was strictly science. Maybe this is because the DOs and pods take the same coursework first year here. Haven't gotten there yet, but there are much more focused pod courses in the second year. I don't think we get into the clinic much until summer before third year though.

I think CSPM (california) has the earliest clinical experience of all the pod schools. I heard from current students that you start seeing/treating patients around the bay area in the summer right after your first year of pod school.

Then during your 2nd year starting in August/September, you are in clinic 2 days a week and class 3 days a week.

For the 3rd year, you are in clinic 4 days a week and class 1 day a week.

4th year you are either on externships or doing a core rotation at a medical center.

Members don't see this ad :)
From doing my internship at OCPM, I heard from current students that throughout your second year, you have around 10 sessions where the student shadows 3rd and 4th year students at the CFAC (cleveland foot and ankle clinic). Also in your second year, you spend a month at a local hospital doing history and physicals (H and P's) in the "fast trac" Emergency Room.

You definitely are doing podiatry related rotations in the third year at OCPM. The third year is kind of interesting at Ohio because it only goes until around February. Then the 4th year begins where you do rotations at the cleveland VA, externships, etc. So i believe its a short 3rd year and a long 4th year.

This info may not be completely true but maybe an OCPM student can verify everything.

I think CSPM (california) has the earliest clinical experience of all the pod schools. I heard from current students that you start seeing/treating patients around the bay area in the summer right after your first year of pod school.

Then during your 2nd year starting in August/September, you are in clinic 2 days a week and class 3 days a week.

For the 3rd year, you are in clinic 4 days a week and class 1 day a week.

4th year you are either on externships or doing a core rotation at a medical center.

youre right:thumbup:

This is year school dependent. It appears that Scholl is going to a 2+2 model like DMU and AZPod. So that means you will have lectures on podiatry but won't see patients probably until your 3rd year. DMU students get 1 intro to pod class year 1 but the majority of the pod classes are not until the second half of the 2nd year.

This is year school dependent. It appears that Scholl is going to a 2+2 model like DMU and AZPod. So that means you will have lectures on podiatry but won't see patients probably until your 3rd year. DMU students get 1 intro to pod class year 1 but the majority of the pod classes are not until the second half of the 2nd year.

we don't see patients till our third year as well. Though we also take classes during our third year which spans from Mid June till end of February. I think all schools should implement a full 2+2 model - with 2 years of pure classroom/medical sciences courses and 2 years of pure clinicals.

I'm not a fan of the early "hands on" exposure to tell you the truth - it devalues the importance of the basic science curriculum. I don't think learning how to do tapings/cast for orthotics/nail or callus debridements/and unna boots are vital for a first year student when they don't know the science and medicine behind everything. For that reason, I don't see a reason why schools push for getting their students as early as possible.

P.S. its great to be back on this site again :D

At Barry, you will spend a day or two shadowing during first semester, but you won't "see" (do cares, H&P, etc) any actual patients or enter clinics until you begin 3rd year. There are some volunteer opportunities for all students, though (charity clinics, medical tents at athletic events and health fairs, etc).

Students have clinical path, radio, diagnosis, etc classes and skills labs sprinkled all through 2nd year. I'd also recommend attending as many taping, casting, biopsy, suture, etc workshops as possible. Students have all injected, taped, clipped and chipped, read XRs and positioned for them, drawn blood, etc on one another before they try it on patients. You can never have too many reps with that stuff. Even after 5 semesters of pretty good marks, I still feel a bit intimidated about my knowledge base for entering clinic. I can't imagine having only 2 or 3 semesters of prep...

...I think all schools should implement a full 2+2 model - with 2 years of pure classroom/medical sciences courses and 2 years of pure clinicals.

I'm not a fan of the early "hands on" exposure to tell you the truth - it devalues the importance of the basic science curriculum. I don't think learning how to do tapings/cast for orthotics/nail or callus debridements/and unna boots are vital for a first year student when they don't know the science and medicine behind everything. For that reason, I don't see a reason why schools push for getting their students as early as possible...
I totally agree.^ I don't like early clinics being used as a gimmick to attract prospective students.

You have to know the anatomy, pathology, pharm, etc before you start trying to apply it...

How can you learn tapings and see patients effectively when you've just had LEA and haven't even learned radio, path, pharm, or biomechanics yet?

we don't see patients till our third year as well. Though we also take classes during our third year which spans from Mid June till end of February. I think all schools should implement a full 2+2 model - with 2 years of pure classroom/medical sciences courses and 2 years of pure clinicals.

I'm not a fan of the early "hands on" exposure to tell you the truth - it devalues the importance of the basic science curriculum. I don't think learning how to do tapings/cast for orthotics/nail or callus debridements/and unna boots are vital for a first year student when they don't know the science and medicine behind everything. For that reason, I don't see a reason why schools push for getting their students as early as possible.

P.S. its great to be back on this site again :D

:thumbup:

AZPOD is like DMU as Feelgood was saying. You don't treat patients until 3rd year. During first 2 years, you basically shadow for about 60 hours. Besides watching the pod, I don't know that you really do too much.

I'm all for learning bad habits early under poor supervision. Basic science should be a faint memory of studying old tests.

Scholl begins its clinic curriculum in the beginning of 2nd year. Each 2nd year student is paired with a 3rd year student and actually presents the case to the clinician, performs the treatment, and writes the progress note. Each student gets 8 weeks in the fall and 7 weeks in the spring (1 day/wk).
There is no shadowing... it's actual doing. They have the notion that the earlier you learn, the better. Learn from your mistakes now rather than during your externships.

Scholl begins its clinic curriculum in the beginning of 2nd year. Each 2nd year student is paired with a 3rd year student and actually presents the case to the clinician, performs the treatment, and writes the progress note. Each student gets 8 weeks in the fall and 7 weeks in the spring (1 day/wk).
There is no shadowing... it's actual doing. They have the notion that the earlier you learn, the better. Learn from your mistakes now rather than during your externships.

I believe that will all change with the class of 2011. However, I am looking forward to starting clinic my 2nd year.

Another good way to get great Podiatry exposure is to work in a Podiatry Clinic during the summer. Currently I work as a clinical assistant in 2 clinics this summer.

With the change to the 2+2 system at Scholl, will the pod students take any more classes with the MD students? I understand they take gross and interdisciplinary health care classes together now. I was not positive if courses such as biochem, histo, etc would be taken together.

thanks

With the change to the 2+2 system at Scholl, will the pod students take any more classes with the MD students? I understand they take gross and interdisciplinary health care classes together now. I was not positive if courses such as biochem, histo, etc would be taken together.

thanks

I am not sure if that will make much of a difference or not? The challenge would be to fit all of those students in the same classroom for all of those classes. Keep in mind that there are 100 P1's and about 200 M1's.

I am not sure if that will make much of a difference or not? The challenge would be to fit all of those students in the same classroom for all of those classes. Keep in mind that there are 100 P1's and about 200 M1's.

In Scholl do we have sections for each class or all 100 students take the class at once?

In Scholl do we have sections for each class or all 100 students take the class at once?

At Scholl all students take the classes at the same time, except if there is a lab, clinic, or workshop. Then the students get broken into groups.

If anyone wants to vacation in arizona sometime during the first year, I will let you give me a foot massage and get you your first exposure :laugh:

(somebody had to drop a cheesy joke).