When do you officially accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJAMJAJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I have received an acceptance from my top choice school. There are two other good schools that I want to interview with still, and I'm waiting to hear back from another school... my question is.. when do you officially accept? I know May 15th is the last day that you can choose, but what is considered the "norm" as far as when you let the school know you are officially going to enter their class? I personally know a lot of the people at the med school that I was accepted to and just want to make sure I'm being polite, respectful, while still ensuring that it's the right choice (ie. i want to wait to accept but dont want to wait TOO long). I have two more interviews in January, so is it ok for me to wait to hear back from them (as late as february) before officially signing on with this school?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, congratulations on your accomplishment!!!

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question right, but I think each school assumes you are attending once you pay the deposit or respond to the acceptance offer in some way (other than withdrawing it). In the spring, schools can see that you've been accepted, but I'm not sure if they can see which schools. If you haven't received anything in the acceptance letter/email about responding with a deposit or something else, you may want to reread it or contact the admissions office. I know some schools expect a response/confirmation of receipt of the offer within two weeks, or they assume you are not interested in attending.

Technically, you could hold multiple acceptances after May 15th, but you wouldn't get your deposit back.

Hello!

So I have received an acceptance from my top choice school. There are two other good schools that I want to interview with still, and I'm waiting to hear back from another school... my question is.. when do you officially accept? I know May 15th is the last day that you can choose, but what is considered the "norm" as far as when you let the school know you are officially going to enter their class? I personally know a lot of the people at the med school that I was accepted to and just want to make sure I'm being polite, respectful, while still ensuring that it's the right choice (ie. i want to wait to accept but dont want to wait TOO long). I have two more interviews in January, so is it ok for me to wait to hear back from them (as late as february) before officially signing on with this school?

Thank you!

No, you should really, really contact them now and say you accept. Most schools need to hear from you within a set time period (usually 2-3 weeks). You "officially" accept then.

Some schools require a deposit at that point. Some require it by May 15th. If the deposit is required at that time, pay it. You can get a refund when you withdraw if you don't go there.

But seriously, most schools will give your place to someone else if you don't officially accept the offer soon.

On May 15, you basically e-mail all your non-top choice schools and say, "I thank you for your wonderful offer, but I am attending somewhere else." For the school you're going to, just make sure your deposit is paid on time (like all your schools), and you'll start to receive matriculation stuff over the summer. There's no need to e-mail them on May 15 and say, "Okay, I'm actually going to your school." You've already accepted and given the deposit, so you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, congratulations on your accomplishment!!!

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question right, but I think each school assumes you are attending once you pay the deposit or respond to the acceptance offer in some way (other than withdrawing it). In the spring, schools can see that you've been accepted, but I'm not sure if they can see which schools.

In February, schools that have already accepted you can see all the acceptances you hold. In April, even schools that have not accepted you can see all the acceptances you hold.

In February, schools that have already accepted you can see all the acceptances you hold. In April, even schools that have not accepted you can see all the acceptances you hold.

Is this true as to the specific months? I remember reading something about it on the AAMC site but the wording was very vague and didn't say exactly this.

Is this true as to the specific months? I remember reading something about it on the AAMC site but the wording was very vague and didn't say exactly this.
I think March 15 or some like that the schools can see ur other acceptances

No, you should really, really contact them now and say you accept. Most schools need to hear from you within a set time period (usually 2-3 weeks). You "officially" accept then.

Some schools require a deposit at that point. Some require it by May 15th. If the deposit is required at that time, pay it. You can get a refund when you withdraw if you don't go there.

But seriously, most schools will give your place to someone else if you don't officially accept the offer soon.

On May 15, you basically e-mail all your non-top choice schools and say, "I thank you for your wonderful offer, but I am attending somewhere else." For the school you're going to, just make sure your deposit is paid on time (like all your schools), and you'll start to receive matriculation stuff over the summer. There's no need to e-mail them on May 15 and say, "Okay, I'm actually going to your school." You've already accepted and given the deposit, so you're golden.
I think the OP means after he has accepted the first time is there a final acceptance or certification step to take to officially accept the school. I think as long as you are not withdrawing they know you are officially in. I dont know if there is a final step to take after that other than enroll officially but I dont think you need to tell them that im 100% attending this school

Wait until you visit the schools a second time and get their financial aid packages.

Hello!

Thank you!

You officially accept after you get your acceptance. You don't wait to respond to them until you've heard back from other schools. You accept, and then if you choose to go somewhere else, you withdraw, simple as that.

Wow, thanks all! I am so glad that I asked. The offer was given to me over the phone and I just said THANK YOU! and was too busy smiling to think. I guess I'll contact them on monday and ensure that I've officially accepted. thanks again

I am in the same boat and appreciate the advice in this post. THANKS!