When does the Step 2 CS become a requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bc_tch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you sign up to take Step 2 before a certain time you will be exempted from the clinical skill exam (which costs a woeful ~$1000+travel+hotel+lost time)? But then I saw that the test will be starting this June?? Es no possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, the class of 2005 is the first class to do this exam. They'll be doing it this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
however, if you graduate by december 2004, it is NOT a requirement (or at least that's what my school's MedEd people keep telling us)...

in other words, if you're out of sync or can somehow graduate before the end of 2004, it's not required. it's only for people graduating in 2005 or beyond...

-tim

in the grand scheme, Daiphon and I go to the same school, and yes, the clerkship manual for my site says that it's a requirement for anyone graduating on or after Jan 1, 2005.

Yup, it's official. You have to take the test (Step 2 Clinical Skills) at one of 5 locations around the US. For us, we need to fly 2,500 miles to LA, in addition to the cost of the test (almost $1,000). :(

A little off topic but....

Any word of a similar clinical skills exam for Step 3 in the near future?

Blade28 said:
Yup, it's official. You have to take the test (Step 2 Clinical Skills) at one of 5 locations around the US. For us, we need to fly 2,500 miles to LA, in addition to the cost of the test (almost $1,000). :(

What are the different locations where it's held?

Amy said:
LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Houston.

Beat me to it. :)

BTW, you can sign up for practice tests at most of the locations (3 of them opened up today, including LA). First-come, first-served! Free too. :thumbup:

Blade28 said:
Beat me to it. :)

BTW, you can sign up for practice tests at most of the locations (3 of them opened up today, including LA). First-come, first-served! Free too. :thumbup:

Yeah, but do you really need to practice? I'm sure most of us do CS exams at school anyway.