When does the Step 2 CS become a requirement?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by bc_tch, Apr 12, 2004.

1. bc_tch

bc_tch Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just wondering if you sign up to take Step 2 before a certain time you will be exempted from the clinical skill exam (which costs a woeful ~$1000+travel+hotel+lost time)? But then I saw that the test will be starting this June?? Es no possible?

2. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I believe that those who become 4th years this summer have to take the exam.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Yep, the class of 2005 is the first class to do this exam. They'll be doing it this summer.

4. Daiphon

Daiphon Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    however, if you graduate by december 2004, it is NOT a requirement (or at least that's what my school's MedEd people keep telling us)...

in other words, if you're out of sync or can somehow graduate before the end of 2004, it's not required. it's only for people graduating in 2005 or beyond...

-tim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Vincristine

7+ Year Member

in the grand scheme, Daiphon and I go to the same school, and yes, the clerkship manual for my site says that it's a requirement for anyone graduating on or after Jan 1, 2005.

6. Yup, it's official. You have to take the test (Step 2 Clinical Skills) at one of 5 locations around the US. For us, we need to fly 2,500 miles to LA, in addition to the cost of the test (almost $1,000). :(

7. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A little off topic but....

Any word of a similar clinical skills exam for Step 3 in the near future?

8. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

What are the different locations where it's held?

9. Amy

Amy
    Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Houston.

10. Beat me to it. :)

BTW, you can sign up for practice tests at most of the locations (3 of them opened up today, including LA). First-come, first-served! Free too. :thumbup:

11. Amy

Amy
    Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, but do you really need to practice? I'm sure most of us do CS exams at school anyway.