When GPA is the worst thing about your application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emkayveedee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So it's looking like I might need to reapply next cycle based on how this cycle is going so far. I think that what hurt my application most was my GPA (3.5c). I had a 33 on my MCAT. I was wondering if it's possible to reapply and get accepted without improving my GPA? I'm really not looking to do a post-bach or anything to boost it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no way you can blame a 3.5 for keeping you out of med school, certainly not with a 33.

Things that are usually to blame for not getting accepted with decent stats:
1. California
2. Applying late (meaning complete after July)
3. Arrogance
4. Poor letters
5. Poor essays
6. Immaturity
7. Bad answers in interviews
8. Not having clinical experience

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no way you can blame a 3.5 for keeping you out of med school, certainly not with a 33.

1. California
3. Arrogance
4. Poor letters
5. Poor essays
6. Immaturity

Best of luck to you.

Lol @ California. Thanks! I'm hoping to improve on all those other components to my applications as well, I was just curious as to what degree my GPA would be to blame for my discouraging results so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol @ California. Thanks! I'm hoping to improve on all those other components to my applications as well, I was just curious as to what degree my GPA would be to blame for my discouraging results so far.
Forgot a couple things:
9. didn't apply to enough schools (25 is normal)
10. didn't apply to any safety schools

And these two things:
1. It's December. You don't get to give up on this year yet.
2. Don't get comfortable with any explanation - be curious and use this experience as a lesson in self-awareness. That pays off big time, long term.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

So it's looking like I might need to reapply next cycle based on how this cycle is going so far. I think that what hurt my application most was my GPA (3.5c). I had a 33 on my MCAT. I was wondering if it's possible to reapply and get accepted without improving my GPA? I'm really not looking to do a post-bach or anything to boost it. Thanks!

IF your GPA is what's keeping you from getting accepted (and I'm not sure that it is), then yes obv you would want to work on that. You could take non-matriculated classes without enrolling in an actual program (I had a bad GPA and that's what I did before I reapplied).

I had multiple interviews and offers of admission with a 3.5c, 3.2s & 34T MCAT. I didn't get tons of them, and I did not get all of them early, but I did get them. My last interview invitation came in either February or March. It's not late enough in the season to think you need to reapply. I had friends who only got very late II's and still got into the one program that interviewed them.
Dr. Midlife's assessment of factors that may hurt an application with decent stats is spot on. I do not think taking more classes is a must unless you need to do it to get better LORs.

Agree that your GPA is unlikely to be the issue. A 3.5 isn't lighting the world on fire, but it's also not so low that you'll get screened out because of it. Are you getting interview invites? If so, it's likely poor interview skills that are holding you back. If you're not even getting invites, then there is something going on with some aspect of your written app, such as a poorly written PS, a lukewarm LOR, bad app strategy, etc. I suggest contacting a few schools that have already rejected you for advice on how you can improve your app. It would be helpful to know what the problem is in case you do need to reapply. Best of luck.

If you get all rejections this cycle, be sure to contact Admissions deans to get feedback on why. Don't ask for advice or consultation, just feedback on the rejection.

Hello,

A 3.5 isn't what's keeping you out of med school, not with a 33 MCAT. Something else is wrong with your application.

1. California
3. Arrogance
4. Poor letters
5. Poor essays
6. Immaturity

Best of luck to you.
Totally agree, don't think it's your degree either. There is something missing you are not telling us. Poor essay? Poor LOR? Applied late?