What is the best thing to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John6301

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for stopping in. I'm stuck and not sure what route to take into medical school. Little background about myself:

Last semester undergrad.
Current cGPA 3.3 - sGPA 3.2 upward trend
Minority, first in the family
Bilingual (english/spanish)
Had to work most of my undergrad to support widowed mother. Majority of the occupation were healthcare related
Alot of community service hours
Here is the killer - took Mcat once scored a 487.
(Rushed in the summer, didn't prepare well and got that score.)

I'm confused on what to do next because everyone is telling me something different. I've been advised looking into Masters Programs, SMP with linkages, Post Bacc, and even some saying retake the MCAT. I know with better prepation I will do way better on my MCAT (started going through questions 2 weeks prior MCAT and only took 3 full lengths. Managed to get 502 on AAMC but on actual 487).

If anyone has been in this situation before, can you please share your experience with me and give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Your current GPA is enough to get you into a SMP program, but your MCAT might get you screened out, so if a SMP is the direction you decide to take, you'll have to tackle the MCAT first.

Usually a sub-500 MCAT points to content gaps, so I would honestly take a few months off and really prepare to the best of your ability, since schools are generally advised to average your MCAT scores. Once your AAMC full length scores are in a range that you're satisfied with, you should take the MCAT and apply to SMP programs then.

SMP's aren't easy, they are full time jobs, and you'll need to identify and address any holes in your study habits early to succeed. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Thanks for stopping in. I'm stuck and not sure what route to take into medical school. Little background about myself:

Last semester undergrad.
Current cGPA 3.3 - sGPA 3.2 upward trend
Minority, first in the family
Bilingual (english/spanish)
Had to work most of my undergrad to support widowed mother. Majority of the occupation were healthcare related
Alot of community service hours
Here is the killer - took Mcat once scored a 487.
(Rushed in the summer, didn't prepare well and got that score.)

I'm confused on what to do next because everyone is telling me something different. I've been advised looking into Masters Programs, SMP with linkages, Post Bacc, and even some saying retake the MCAT. I know with better prepation I will do way better on my MCAT (started going through questions 2 weeks prior MCAT and only took 3 full lengths. Managed to get 502 on AAMC but on actual 487).

If anyone has been in this situation before, can you please share your experience with me and give me some advice.
You shouldn’t need to get a Masters program or an SMP, your gpa is good enough for most DO schools and some MD schools. The killer to your application is your MCAT. If you retake it and get 505 or higher you’ll be good. Don’t spend a ton of money on doing other programs if your can resolve your MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I echo the above. You're not going anywhere with a 487 hanging around your neck. Prepare for the MCAT adequately and retake it. Once you've done that, you'll be in a better position to evaluate your options and plot your course.

Reactions: 1 users
Re-Take MCAT and kill it. Don't re-take it unless you are ready.

You shouldn’t need to get a Masters program or an SMP, your gpa is good enough for most DO schools and some MD schools. The killer to your application is your MCAT. If you retake it and get 505 or higher you’ll be good. Don’t spend a ton of money on doing other programs if your can resolve your MCAT score.
Disagree, unless the OP has a massive upward GPA trend and has a strong GPA over the last two years. In the absence of that info, if the OP is boning for the MD, then aceing the MCAT and an SMP is needed.

A 505+ will be enough for DO schools (and better choice making)

Reactions: 1 users
SMP is the way to go.

I would get a masters that will strengthen your knowledge in the MCAT core subjects, BIO, BIOCHEM, SOCIOLOGY, PHYS., etc. that way you can boost your GPA and study for the MCAT. then study your ass off for the MCAT like 4-6 months of 20-30 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. then wreck that test. Also after all that I'd apply MD and DO to be safe