When is FA 2008 coming out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
it says preorder @ amazon.. anyone know??? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Barnesandnoble.com has it available for preorder, and lists the available date as Dec 31

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question....

I purchased an old used FA book...I think a 2004 version. And used it in conjuction with my other texts to study for my MSI and MSII classes....

Now I am wondering, should I purchase a 2008 FA to study for my boards?? Will there be a big difference between the two versions?? How much can the information change??

Quick question....

I purchased an old used FA book...I think a 2004 version. And used it in conjuction with my other texts to study for my MSI and MSII classes....

Now I am wondering, should I purchase a 2008 FA to study for my boards?? Will there be a big difference between the two versions?? How much can the information change??

This is probably one of the most common questions asked on SDN this time of year.

The SDN threshold for purchasing a new version of FA seems to be around 1-2 years. Since you have the 2004 edition, I'd cough up the $36 (or whatever it costs these days) and get a zero-mileage 2008 edition.

Keep in mind that FA became systems-based in 2006 for the first time in "history." So if you're a nerd like me, you'll lose sleep thinking you were missing out on some juicy details that your played out 2004 edition didn't have.

The information, however, is probably 99% the same btw the 2004 and 2008 edition. Hope that helps!

Keep in mind that FA became systems-based in 2006 for the first time in "history." So if you're a nerd like me, you'll lose sleep thinking you were missing out on some juicy details that your played out 2004 edition didn't have.

The information, however, is probably 99% the same btw the 2004 and 2008 edition. Hope that helps!

Thanks DOCTORSAIB!!

I figured the info would be much of the same thing, but since FA became systems-based I think I will cough up the dough to get an updated version.:laugh:

Anyone know anything about the First Aid Q & A book and/or the First Aid Cases book? If you used them last year and liked them, are they still worth buying even if I already have Qbank and Qbook from Kaplan? Oh, and both were published in 2006; anyone know if a new edition is about to come out, say before June?

overfiend, I have a 2006 copy of First Aid, but I'm buying a new one anyway. I figure that with as much as my medical school education costs, it's a little late to start freaking out now over dropping $40 for a book. I'd really hate to be penny wise and pound foolish. Even if it's not a big deal to use a two year old edition, my peace of mind is definitely worth way more than $40 to me. :)

Anyone know anything about the First Aid Q & A book and/or the First Aid Cases book? If you used them last year and liked them, are they still worth buying even if I already have Qbank and Qbook from Kaplan? Oh, and both were published in 2006; anyone know if a new edition is about to come out, say before June?
Take my opinion w/ a grain of salt since I have yet to face the beast, but I've been using FA Q&A and cases as we go through systems and while they're OK, they ain't no FA.

The nice thing about the questions is that they are system based so it's easy to fit them into the curriculum my school follows. They are far from comprehensive, but I guess you can't expect too much from ~50 ques per system.

Ditto w/ cases - not bad as a quick way to go through the info when you're tired of reading, but overall, fairly thin on mechanisms and integration, and many of the cases seem a bit obvious. USMLE Step 1 Secrets is a little slower, but IMO does better job of integrating the basic science concepts into cases.