When is it officially “too late” to take CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, while waiting on money to pay for this stupid exam... a lot of spots are gone.

My options now look like I am taking this in July. Is that bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello buddy! There's a schedule on the website and I think somewhere between 8-15th of May will be the last chance before you can get the score for you September matching ) In July you risk not having the results in time.

Correction: Looked it up for you

Test date: March 24 through May 18*
Reporting: June 19- July 17

Test date: May 19 through July 13
Reporting:August 14-September 11

Seems you are safe until 13th of July!

Hello buddy! There's a schedule on the website and I think somewhere between 8-15th of May will be the last chance before you can get the score for you September matching ) In July you risk not having the results in time.

Correction: Looked it up for you

Test date: March 24 through May 18*
Reporting: June 19- July 17

Test date: May 19 through July 13
Reporting:August 14-September 11

Seems you are safe until 13th of July!

There are virtually no spots before that time.

You can use Check4change extension for Firefox, it will notify you as soon as the spot opens up, but you have to be really fast (seconds). Spots open up all the time due to people cancelling/rescheduling

You're an M3, not an M4, right?

If you're an M4...July is far too late and you need to take it within the next month or two at all costs.

If you're an M3 - depends on what you're applying to and your academic record, but July is almost certainly fine. If you have significant red flags to not pass board exams, e.g. previous course/Step failures, I'd take it as early as possible. So you can hopefully have a passing score in time to submit your application to residency programs and alleviate any concerns there, and time to retake it on the off chance you fail. If you have done at least average on all your courses and boards so far, you can probably just take it based on your preference and specialty. Some specialties just want you to have a passing score by the time you start residency, so you could take it in the spring if you wanted to, while others require you to have a passing CS score in order to rank you, in which case you'd want to do it in the summer/fall.

I am an M3.

Currently scheduled for July 18th which means i’d get the results early October.

I have zero failures on my academic record.