When is it ok to Switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aryad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have lot of times this thing come up to me and I am not quiet completely sure..

Clindamycin 300 mg is not covered by insurance.. can we switch to 2 caps 150mg?
Glipizide 20 mg with 2 10mg glipizides?

When is it that the strenghts cannot be substituted like this?

Can we dispence two seperate drugs wehn a combination is prescribed w/o conuslting the doctor ( for obvious time constraint) when combination not coverd by insurance or is too expensive? I would not do this but I have seen Pharmacists doing this w/o any reservations.

Members don't see this ad.

I have lot of times this thing come up to me and I am not quiet completely sure..

Can we dispence two seperate drugs wehn a combination is prescribed w/o conuslting the doctor ( for obvious time constraint) when combination not coverd by insurance or is too expensive? I would not do this but I have seen Pharmacists doing this w/o any reservations.

I believe as long as it's not a controlled realease form, you can give pills of smaller quantities that add up to the same quantity.

Glipizide doesn't come in 20mg tabs... 10mg is max per. 2 tabs is understood.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fine to do 2 150 mg instead of the 300 mg. Our in my world (the VA) we frequently dispense a larger mg strength and expect the patient to split the tablets. Happens all the time.

I would call before substituting two single ingredient products for one combo product.

If clindamycin 300 is not covered, you can switch it to clinda 150 mg provided you counsel.

In terms of combination drugs, you should always contact the doctor...

No on the combo drugs. This falls in the same category as capsules vs, tablets. They may be similar, but you still need to call and verify/annotate the switch.

No on the combo drugs. This falls in the same category as capsules vs, tablets. They may be similar, but you still need to call and verify/annotate the switch.

So caps vs. tabs does need a call? I was arguing this with one of the pharmacists in the store where I work, and he said you don't need to call.

So caps vs. tabs does need a call? I was arguing this with one of the pharmacists in the store where I work, and he said you don't need to call.

I believe this depends on state - but yes, by law you would have to call. In practice... Well... That may be a different story.

Here is where pharmacists must use their professional discretion. So it really depends on each individual situation.

Clindamycin: I have no trouble with this. In fact, for cash paying patients, I recommend this switch as the 300mg is almost twice as expensive for a 7-10 day course of treatment then the equivalent dose of the 150mg capsules.

Glipizide: I would definitely call on this. I would not assume and it is NOT understood. Since doses over 15mg should be split, a single dose of 20mg should be immediately suspect as a dosing error. If the dose is 20mg, it should be split and given BID.

Combination Drugs: Again it depends. We have a doctor who always writes for Lotrisone for welfare patients. After the zillionth phone call with no refusals, I now switch this all the time without asking. Others I may call on. It depends.

Thanks everyone for sharing there thoughts. What I heard recently is Aricept 23 mg is going to be hitting the shelves. The 23mg does not provide any benefits over the 10 mg strenght already in the market,only a gimmick by the brand to prolong their product lifecycle as generics start hitting the market soon.
Also interesting thing is that ( although I know numerically not -2 10mg tabs dont add up to 23 mg) 23 mg cannot be switched by 2 10mg tabs ---- very very specific on this.
This is where I was thinking are there any other examples you seen in your practice where a numerical switch is just not possible?

Thanks everyone for sharing there thoughts. What I heard recently is Aricept 23 mg is going to be hitting the shelves. The 23mg does not provide any benefits over the 10 mg strenght already in the market,only a gimmick by the brand to prolong their product lifecycle as generics start hitting the market soon.
Also interesting thing is that ( although I know numerically not -2 10mg tabs dont add up to 23 mg) 23 mg cannot be switched by 2 10mg tabs ---- very very specific on this.
This is where I was thinking are there any other examples you seen in your practice where a numerical switch is just not possible?

One Example that comes to mind for me was when I called a physician to let him know we didn't have Augmentin 250 and he wanted me to give half of an Augmentin 500. I am sure you can see the issue with this. The dose of Clavulanic acid needed for beta-lactamase inhibition is fixed and doesn't change between the two strengths.

Script comes in for Amoxicillin 200mg chewable tabs. Those are on backorder. Would you switch to Amoxicillin 200mg/5ml suspension without prescriber approval?

Script comes in for Amoxicillin 200mg chewable tabs. Those are on backorder. Would you switch to Amoxicillin 200mg/5ml suspension without prescriber approval?

Good Question, I guess that would depend. As a parent, I would look at whether or not the pt was waiting with their sick screaming child and the likelihood that they would blow up my pharmacy if I told them I had to call the physician to give the a different same drug.

If they needed to get out of there, I would make the substitution and then call the MD's office to let them know about the sub. To most physicians 200mg amoxil is 200mg amoxil, whether it be in a tablet, capsule, suspension, or gummy bear.

The pharmacokinetics are different though, right? I mean different dosage forms have different bioavailabilities and such, right? I wouldn't think that you can switch these all willy-nilly.

The pharmacokinetics are different though, right? I mean different dosage forms have different bioavailabilities and such, right? I wouldn't think that you can switch these all willy-nilly.

I don't think the bioavailalibility would be different between a chewable tablet and a suspension. I can't think of any reason why it would be different, but I am open to enlightenment. If it was an extended release product that would be different, but both suspension and chewable tablet are IR.