When is it okay to leave "Additional comments" essay on secondaries blank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meowkat

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this has been asked before, but I have a slightly more specific question. I noticed that some schools just ask "Do you have any additional comments to add" while other schools are more specific "Do you have any additional comments to add such as X, Y, Z..."

For the ones that specify things to talk about (Diversity, adversity, gap year, etc.) is it better to write something or just leave it blank? I know in general unless you have something really interesting to talk about, writing anything for the additional comments section doesn't really do anything for your applications. But when schools specify, I feel like they are expecting something and it's better not to leave blank.

Is it better to write something for schools that seemingly expect an answer?