When is it the right time to announce an engagement?

DrCandyBarr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm engaged to be married within 18 months from now. :D :love: Only my parents, a few close friends,parents-in-law to be and my fiance's closest buddies have been informed about the engagement.

I am kind of trepidating about announcing my engagement to anyone outside my close circle of family and life long friends. I am not even wearing my engagement ring to work because I don't want too many questions and gossip. :rolleyes:

I am kind of fearful of the whole deal not working out. I know he is the one for me RIGHT NOW but one never knows...I have heard horror stories of engagement break ups. I don't want to be one of those heartbroken gals. :(

I prefer keeping it all hush hush for now and only announcing the engagement when the wedding date is very near. It will probably shock a few people. I must admit, I will get a kick out of seeing the reactions of those who will find out at the last minute. :laugh:

So how close to the wedding date would be appropriate to announce my upcoming wedding to my casual friends and acquaintances ? I intend on having a small intimate wedding so I won't be inviting these people.

Members don't see this ad.

DrCandyBarr said:
I'm engaged to be married within 18 months from now. :D :love: Only my parents, a few close friends,parents-in-law to be and my fiance's closest buddies have been informed about the engagement.

I am kind of trepidating about announcing my engagement to anyone outside my close circle of family and life long friends. I am not even wearing my engagement ring to work because I don't want too many questions and gossip. :rolleyes:

I am kind of fearful of the whole deal not working out. I know he is the one for me RIGHT NOW but one never knows...I have heard horror stories of engagement break ups. I don't want to be one of those heartbroken gals. :(

I prefer keeping it all hush hush for now and only announcing the engagement when the wedding date is very near. It will probably shock a few people. I must admit, I will get a kick out of seeing the reactions of those who will find out at the last minute. :laugh:

So how close to the wedding date would be appropriate to announce my upcoming wedding to my casual friends and acquaintances ? I intend on having a small intimate wedding so I won't be inviting these people.

Congratulations on your engagement. :) It's really up to you when you feel would be the perfect time to announce your engagement. :) You said, "I know he is the one for me RIGHT NOW but one never knows..." It's not just RIGHT NOW that you need to be sure that he's the one for you, but for the rest of your life. Marriage is a big step. If you truly feel happy with where you are in life and who you're with, then don't let horror stories distract you from your joy and happiness. :) But like I said earlier, your announcement should come when you feel the time is right. There is no obligation for you to announce at any particular time. :) Once again, congratulations!

What until about a year out. You want to be publically engaged for a little while before sending out wedding invitations. :)

It is good for your friends to know about your engagement in case something DOES happen. Then you have people to lean on that understand your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
DownonthePharm said:
What until about a year out. You want to be publically engaged for a little while before sending out wedding invitations. :)

It is good for your friends to know about your engagement in case something DOES happen. Then you have people to lean on that understand your situation.

I already know who I am inviting. These people have been notified. I was referring to acquaintances, co-workers and such...I think a year is a good time period.

imprecious said:
Congratulations on your engagement. :) It's really up to you when you feel would be the perfect time to announce your engagement. :) You said, "I know he is the one for me RIGHT NOW but one never knows..." It's not just RIGHT NOW that you need to be sure that he's the one for you, but for the rest of your life. Marriage is a big step. If you truly feel happy with where you are in life and who you're with, then don't let horror stories distract you from your joy and happiness. :) But like I said earlier, your announcement should come when you feel the time is right. There is no obligation for you to announce at any particular time. :) Once again, congratulations!

Thanks. It really took me by surprise ! Everyone kept telling me, you never know when you will meet Mr Right. :D

Yes, marriage is a big step and is a big risk but at my age, I might as well stop having cold feet!

I never thought I could meet someone so caring and protective of me. :love: He's about 10 years older than me so I suppose that helps.

We've been spending the whole weekend together at his parents' cottage . He is preparing supper for me right now. Hard to meet a man who cooks well :love:

If you are hesitant to announce your engagement to everyone and anyone, because you are afraid something might happen in the meantime, I would quesiton your motive for marrying this person. Marriage is a lifelong commitment, not what's right for Right Now. That said, I think a year is an appropriate engagement period...but you'll have a heck of a time trying to explain to people that you've been engaged for six months already when they ask for the proposal story!

Why not move your wedding closer?

SaraL124 said:
If you are hesitant to announce your engagement to everyone and anyone, because you are afraid something might happen in the meantime, I would quesiton your motive for marrying this person. Marriage is a lifelong commitment, not what's right for Right Now. That said, I think a year is an appropriate engagement period...but you'll have a heck of a time trying to explain to people that you've been engaged for six months already when they ask for the proposal story!

Why not move your wedding closer?

Yes, I am afraid something will happen...that my fiance may be snatched by someone else! :laugh: He is so PERFECT ! He's a keeper and I feel so lucky to have met him in the most unexpected way. I have broken an engagement once in the past so I know what it feels like when it doesn't fall through. No more cold feet again! I don't want to be labelled the "Runaway Bride"! :laugh:

My motive for marrying him is LOVE :love: . I wouldn't marry for anything else but LOVE. And well, maybe because I feel my biological clock is ticking and want to have babies soon . LOTS OF THEM ! I've seen how he interacts with kids so I know he will make a terrific father !

We can't move the wedding date closer because we want to wait for him to finish his residency next July. We are also looking into purchasing a house together on the West Coast so we'll have a place to move into after the honeymoon . We figure it will take about a year or more. Needless to say, I'll be working very hard to save up $.

How long have you been dating this fellow? When my husband and I got engaged we both were so excited we wanted to share it with everyone we knew. It sounds like you don't think this wedding will happen and if that is the case, you may want to look a little deeper into your relationship to make sure you are getting married for the right reasons. If you don't want to tell your co-workers because they are nosey and annoying that's fine but if you are avoiding telling them because you already think it isn't going to work, that's a problem. Good luck and congrats on the engagement.