When is the best time to begin research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeurosciencePrincess

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore and I plan on taking a gap year. I will be applying to medical school at the end of my senior year and I was wondering when is it best to get involved in research. I am really excited to get started with research because there are some interesting opportunities at my school but I am also very involved on campus and in my community. I do not want to take on too much so I am wondering if I should get started with research now (my sophomore year) and do it over the course of three years or get started in the middle of my junior year. I do plan to do a summer research internship but for long-term research is starting earlier or later better? Or does it not matter at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophomore and I plan on taking a gap year. I will be applying to medical school at the end of my senior year and I was wondering when is it best to get involved in research. I am really excited to get started with research because there are some interesting opportunities at my school but I am also very involved on campus and in my community. I do not want to take on too much so I am wondering if I should get started with research now (my sophomore year) and do it over the course of three years or get started in the middle of my junior year. I do plan to do a summer research internship but for long-term research is starting earlier or later better? Or does it not matter at all?
Research isnt that impirtant unless you are shooting for the research focused schools. Make sure you have the clinical and nonclinical volunteering experiences as those are more important during the admissions process.

When you have freed up more time on your schedule, then do research if it interests you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's better to start earlier so you have time to develop skills your lab may require and eventually be able to take on more responsibility

Just an additional question, as an undergrad what should one be aiming to accomplish research wise ? Do you need pubs especially for the top 10 schools? Or just consistent lab work you’re passionate about?
U dont need pubs but they are good to have. It's uncommon for undergrads to have a pub. You can demonstrate research productivity in other ways (strong PI letter, posters, oral presentations).

Reactions: 1 user