When is the last time you can take the MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reno

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...to be considered early/on time for this coming cycle?

During the paper administration one must take the MCAT April of the year they were applying or the last August or otherwise you would be considered late as many schools held your application until they received the scores.

With the new CBT in place for this first time this cycle when is the last date one can still take it and still turn in their application and be considered early? Not sure if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything while searching.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

During the paper administration one must take the MCAT April of the year they were applying or the last August or otherwise you would be considered late as many schools held your application until they received the scores.

With the new CBT in place for this first time this cycle when is the last date one can still take it and still turn in their application and be considered early? Not sure if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything while searching.

Thanks!

Since you get your scores a month sooner, you can take the test a month later. Taking it in May this time around will net you your scores at the same time as if you had taken the April paper and pencil test.

Thanks!

I would say take it so that your scores will be released before the end of July (obviously, finish the rest of your app before then).

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to an admissions committee person at Univ. of Houston and she told me to take it at or before May

I think some admissions officers are also feeling their way through the new system, but suffice it to say, it is relative to when you submit your AMCAS. The first batches of AMCAS forms get processed in June and it could take a very short time to get the first set through (2-4 weeks maybe, depending on when the transcripts arrive; later on it can get up to 4-6 weeks of a wait).

It seems to me any test taken in April will be reported on your AMCAS, while tests taken in May will be reported as soon as they are disclosed. Your prehealth advisors will point out that you must state when you took your MCAT if you took it in May or thereafter (this is something new). However, based on batch processing of the AMCAS applications, it sounds to me like having your exams done by the last May date surely will help keep your AMCAS "on time", the June date is fuzzy but may not have much of an effect depending on when your transcripts post final grades (trimester, semester stuff).

Regardless, I still say take the test when you are good and ready to take it. Having a 15L in April does you no good.

I was planning on applying this summer and then retaking the mcat again this summer. I was planning on taking the august mcat, but im now shooting for the july mcat. How badly would this jeopardize my chances of getting an interview. Im from texas, where we have the TMDSAS and our own rolling admissions schedule. Any suggestions?