When life throws you curve balls: Non-Traditional Applicant.

Started by CMW1120
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CMW1120

Enjoy the journey
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey friends!

I am currently an undergraduate student taking classes at Lone Star College with hopes of getting into UT. Life has thrown me significant trials so my plan to pursue medicine is still present...but it has taken me longer than what I had expected.

As of right now, I am 2 semesters away from graduating with an associates degree. I am still unsure if I want to graduate with my AA or if I want to transfer before then. Since the school I am attending is a community/jr college, will medical schools look down on the fact that I have been there for 2 years?

I have taken most of my basic courses and I have done well. I have been a bit behind in science courses because I had to take transitional math courses. In High School, I struggled as a student because I had no goals, dreams, or desires. That bit me in the butt but I will not allow it to hinder me. Though I didn't do well, college has been a fresh start and I am flourishing.

Questions for you:
Will medical colleges look down on CC credit?

Since I've had to take remedial math classes, will that hinder me from Med school?

I have made a few B's but none in science courses...any words of encouragement, wisdom, etc?

Thank you!
 
the CC issue isn't really clear. there are a lot of issues. how "nontraditional" are you. what is your GPA? are they science classes? you said not many so that is a benefit. If your CC classes are the prereqs, and nothing more, it is more of an issue. If they include maybe a couple prereqs, a bunch of unrelated classes, and you transfer to the university and take more prereqs and upper level sciences, you will have no issues (and every variation between these 2). It sounds like you should be ok, and Bs aren't going to kill you. I have a representing a few Cs, lots of Bs, and lots of As (and a crap ton of credits). You will be fine.
 
Are you a full time student? Just remember that a bachelors is a must have and Texas med schools love UT (58% of those applying from UT matriculate as the advisors like to boast). The mcat is going to big factor on whether or not your cc credits are looked down upon. I'd advise you to look up tcom since they may be your best shot given your non-trad status. As for your math, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you do well in calculus. Best of luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Questions for you:
1) Will medical colleges look down on CC credit?

2) Since I've had to take remedial math classes, will that hinder me from Med school?

3) I have made a few B's but none in science courses...
1) Some do, but most don't, provided the prerequisite coursework taken was of sufficient rigor that you'll do well on the MCAT.

2) Absolutely not. It's better to build a solid foundation and take math slowly than to rush into more advanced coursework and get poor grades.

3) So long as your overall cGPA is competitive, a few Bs won't hurt you. Drown them in a sea of As and they won't be noticed.

transfer to the university and take more prereqs and upper level sciences
Do this and get As, then no one with doubt your capability.
 
All: Thank you for taking the time to respond! Your advice and encouragement really strengthened me! 🙂

slammer922: I am currently a full time student.


FrkyBgStok: My current GPA is a 3.5 and I have not taken any science courses. I will take them this upcoming Fall. This may not be beneficial to me later because the prereqs at a University will probably be more difficult, but I refrained from taking many prereqs at CC because I thought that it might hinder me. The only prereqs I will be taking at my current college will be Bio I and II.

Many medical schools require 1 year of bio, 1 year of chem, and 1 year of physics. What is the order in which I should take them? I hear that the order in which you take classes is vital. This upcoming year I am taking Bio I in the Fall and II in the Spring.

What do you think?
 
ok you will be fine with only taking bio 1 and 2 at the CC. probably no issues. you need to add in there one year of organic chemistry, and to really have the best shot, you should also add 3 hours of biochem (as more schools are saying they are going to require it). other than taking chem before ochem, and obviously chem 1 before chem 2, the order doesn't matter. whoever told you that lied. good luck to you.
 
ok you will be fine with only taking bio 1 and 2 at the CC. probably no issues. you need to add in there one year of organic chemistry, and to really have the best shot, you should also add 3 hours of biochem (as more schools are saying they are going to require it). other than taking chem before ochem, and obviously chem 1 before chem 2, the order doesn't matter. whoever told you that lied. good luck to you.

The order might matter when it comes to figuring out when to take the MCAT. Ochem 2 is not needed for the MCAT. IMO, it helps to have taken Physics 2 though. Also, depending on your undergrad's prereqs for certain science classes, you may need to plan carefully. That basically goes without saying, but some people screw this up, so just plan ahead.