When Matched Programs Contact Their New Interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do programs usually contact their new interns? My school wants completed forms and liscening forms by next Friday according to their website after they send us an "official" email but they haven't contacted me yet which worries me. I know we only matched yesterday but having less than a few days to fill out tons of paperwork and fedex it across the country is a bit unrealistic as far as the time crunch.

Members don't see this ad.

I received an email not much more than an hour after we opened the envelopes. You should call the Program Coordinator just to make sure an email sent your way didn't go astray for some reason.

I received an email not much more than an hour after we opened the envelopes. You should call the Program Coordinator just to make sure an email sent your way didn't go astray for some reason.
Likewise. Got sent a ton of paperwork and other administrative stuff to do. They sure don't let the grass grow under them!

I got a text message from one of the chief residents around 4 oclock yesterday, followed by short congratulatory email. Then this afternoon I got an email from the PC and PD of my program with about 50 attachments to fill out and send in certified mail. I'm going to be very busy the next couple of days.

I received a congratulatory email with documents attached from the program coordinator to fill out and return. Nothing from the PD or fellow residents.

i got nothing so far. Just a few texts from interns/chiefs. should i be concerned?

i got nothing so far. Just a few texts from interns/chiefs. should i be concerned?
Don't be silly. You matched. Some programs contact right away. We do, as we worry that people will go on international rotations for long periods of time and hence it becomes difficult to get paperwork back. But not hearing from them is not a bad sign.

I talked to the PD at my match day (matched at my program), got emails from other attendings and the coordinator yesterday. Several calls from residents yesterday. A bunch more calls and emails from residents today.

I feel very welcome! :)

Don't be silly. You matched. Some programs contact right away. We do, as we worry that people will go on international rotations for long periods of time and hence it becomes difficult to get paperwork back. But not hearing from them is not a bad sign.

My email address was wrong in the paperwork email, so I got mine later than everyone else. I'm leaving the country for an away next week and had to ask the coordinator to send my packet asap. I didn't realize when I scheduled my away that they need certain paperwork back and processed before may.

I got the paper work for my prelim. prog. but still haven't heard or gotten any paper work for my advanced(pgy-2 position), is that normal?

It really depends. I got an email from the PD on match day and an email listing the other people in my class about a week later. I didn't hear anything from GME about paperwork and all that stuff until April. So, if you haven't heard anything yet, don't worry about it.

I got a phone call from my PD last night but due to the time change I was already in bed. I was happy to hear from her though as she was a big reason I chose to go there. Plus, I was getting unnecessarily anxious like others in this thread :)

I received an email from the PC 2 hrs after the match results were out. She had a few deadlines for us to meet (legal name, lab coat size, etc) She also said that hospital legal would contact us the first week of April with all the license paper work etc. Also she listed everyone else who was in my class.

That evening I received like 4 emails from seniors congratulating us and saying theyre available whenever for help. Follwed by an email from the PD and more emails from residents.

I emailed our group to say hi, and lets meet up etc and have already met one of them.

I honestly feel so blessed to be in a place where im wanted!

I received a call from my new PD about 30 mins after match results came out. I hadn't even finished calling my family yet.

Got a nice phone call from one of the rising chief residents at my program a couple of hours after the match, then got an email yesterday from the PC welcoming us and asking for our mailing addresses to send out our paperwork.

Well I still haven't heard a peep, so I feel annoyed but thank you very much to aPROGdirector for saying that it's okay not to have heard anything. For those of you who got texts from current residents or the chief--that is still something. Maybe I'll get some documents in the mail next week? Who knows? I will be out of town for a very long time starting in the near future. I guess I will continue to wait and stew :shrug:

Well I still haven't heard a peep, so I feel annoyed but thank you very much to aPROGdirector for saying that it's okay not to have heard anything. For those of you who got texts from current residents or the chief--that is still something. Maybe I'll get some documents in the mail next week? Who knows? I will be out of town for a very long time starting in the near future. I guess I will continue to wait and stew :shrug:
If you'll be out of the country for awhile, I would suggest that you contact them.

If you leave the country, they send you critical paperwork for a license, and you don't complete it on time, it will be your problem (i.e. they can give your spot to someone else).

If you'll be out of the country for awhile, I would suggest that you contact them.

If you leave the country, they send you critical paperwork for a license, and you don't complete it on time, it will be your problem (i.e. they can give your spot to someone else).

Oh okay thank you! I will definitely take your advice.

After the Match, I contacted one of the programs on my ROL that I did not match to, and told them I might be interested in transferring to their program in the future if a position opens up. I specified that this would be, at the earliest, after my PGY-1 year is over with (since that is part of the Match obligation). Have I broken any sort of Match rules by sending that e-mail? I hope not. Even if not, I'm sort of worried about the two PDs talking to each other, which could ruin my experience at my matched residency program before I even start it. Is this sort of talk between residents and programs common, or frowned upon? Thanks.

Last edited:
No you did not violate anything, not that I know about. Legally you have to show up for your first day (as per NRMP). If you signed a contract it tells you how much notice you have to give that program before you leave.

It is highly unlikely that a PD will waste their time contacting the other PD to tell them you want to transfer (1 year before you plan to). They have better things to do with their time, plus they know applicants are in denial about where they matched.

Shwoo! Thanks!