When might an ASD be considered a "Single Atrium"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my review of the literature, the case of a "single atrium" is described when there is essentially no atrial septum. More specifically, the term "single atrium" is used when there is no atrial septum and when there is no other heart malformation (no VSD, no valvular abnormalities, etc). [When there does exist some other malformation in conjunction with the absent atrial septum, the term "common atrium" is used.]

In any case, here's my question: I have a patient with a very large secundum type ASD (~50 mm x 25 mm). When can a very large ASD be called a case of single atrium? Is there a hard line, in terms of the size of the ASD? I suppose one could argue that it's not a "single atrium", because, even in the case of very large ASDs, you still have the remnants of some (albeit little) septal tissue.

Any thoughts/discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

From my review of the literature, the case of a "single atrium" is described when there is essentially no atrial septum. More specifically, the term "single atrium" is used when there is no atrial septum and when there is no other heart malformation (no VSD, no valvular abnormalities, etc). [When there does exist some other malformation in conjunction with the absent atrial septum, the term "common atrium" is used.]

In any case, here's my question: I have a patient with a very large secundum type ASD (~50 mm x 25 mm). When can a very large ASD be called a case of single atrium? Is there a hard line, in terms of the size of the ASD? I suppose one could argue that it's not a "single atrium", because, even in the case of very large ASDs, you still have the remnants of some (albeit little) septal tissue.

Any thoughts/discussion would be greatly appreciated.

What does it matter? What matters is whether there is significant shunting across the defect, and for how long.

p diddy

What does it matter? What matters is whether there is significant shunting across the defect, and for how long.

p diddy
It matters (that i have the right terminology) for the paper that Im trying to write. I think in any case (large Asd vs singe atrium), you eventually get significant shunting and the defect requires repair