When reapply if on a waitlist???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macdown

Lego Maniac
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of those on waitlists, when are you planning on reapplying? I'd ideally like to stretch it out as long as possible, I don't exactly have money to burn on reapplying.

What is everybody's thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

Son't stretch it out; reapply ASAP, and then withdraw if you get in this cycle. It's worth the extra $$ you may have to shell out.

in my opinion you should only reapply once you know what was wrong with your application the first time. reapplying with the same application wont really help much.

Members don't see this ad :)
thedman,
According to what you're advising, one would have to wait until after the start of school to call and find out what was wrong with their previous application to decide whether to reapply or not. Isn't this usually too late to apply for the next cycle?
macdown,
What a lot of people do is that they go ahead and submit their AMCAS with one school so to get their app processed ASAP. If they don't get off the waitlist, they can add more schools without having to wait for the processing time.
Any other waitlisters care to weigh in on this issue? Also, how many waitlisters significantly changed their PS to reapply?

Originally posted by JZZZZZZZs
how many waitlisters significantly changed their PS to reapply?

I am going to change my PS, but not significantly. It will contain basically the same content, just revised and edited.

Can you submit your app with no schools designated??? I am also going to retake the MCAT in AUG (again I do't want to if I don't have to), but would that change the reapplication timetable?

macdown,
No, you must list at least one school on the AMCAS for it to be processed and transmitted. Are you still waiting for your April MCAT scores or something? Retaking the August MCAT will definitely push the reapplication timetable back if you want the scores considered during this cycle since they won't be available until mid October.
As for the PS, I've gotten differing opinions ranging from "completely rewriting it" to "just editing it." My concern is that by completely rewriting the PS, you are most likely changing the overall theme and must come up with another one that's strong enough to stand on its own based on your experience within the past year. For most, that would seem pretty unlikely. What do other reapplicants think?